Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Smith Mountain Lake (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/50341-smith-mountain-lake.html)

Gary C 05-19-2003 07:50 AM

Smith Mountain Lake

Anybody that lives there year round with kids. What are the schools like? Is it a nice place to raise a family? Or is it just a vacation area? I have a 10 year old son. I'm toying with the idea of packing it in, and getting out of the rat race, that is living and working on Long Island:) What should I look out for as far as buying land? I'd like to be on the lake, but off the lake with a dock slip would do me also. I'm just trying to get an idea. What kind of economy is down there?

Sydwayz 05-19-2003 10:52 AM

PM 27Fountain. He is really the only regular on SML that is on OSO. He grew up there, and went to school there. His Dad still has a place on the lake. We were there this weekend, and the entire place was thriving, and of course the lake level was WAY up.

Sydwayz 05-19-2003 12:38 PM

Also, check out www.smlba.com

I am sure there are lots of folks willing to talk to you about everything.

Gary C 05-19-2003 01:20 PM

Thanks Brian! I just don't want to scare the locals. You know, being a yankee and all:) I promise that I won't want to change the place.

BAJA WILL 05-19-2003 02:17 PM

Gary C

Yankees are fine as long as you are moving here because you like it here and not going to change our home:cool:

Anyway to answer some of your questions. A ten year old would have allot of fun growing up here around SML, their are 3 counties that the lake is on, Franklin, Pensylvania, and Bedford. Our house is in Franklin, the lake is quickly becoming a place for more year rounders. Case in point I am 27 and probably going to build my first house at the lake and not Roanoke, you just can't beat the ROI. Plus their are more places to go eat and yes we actually have real grocery stores:p

As for places to buy get on the water even if it means pushing your budget, you will win in the long run. Please feel free to e-mail me directly if you want to talk more or would like for me to mail you some info.
[email protected]

;) WILL

wonderwick 05-21-2003 09:54 AM

I go to SML ever year 3 or 4 times and would love to have a place there. My family and I love it there. It is great and the people are really nice too. We've been going to SML for 15 years but have not been able to afford a place yet. We have hooked up with a realtor and are going to look at property this june. We think we will buy the land now and put a house on it in a couple years. If you over there this summer let me know and we'll hook up and have some fun. I know the lake pretty well too. We like to go to the restaurants and eat and sight see all the new houses and the fulgar display of wealth there. LOL

Gary C 05-21-2003 10:11 AM

It really sounds like a nice place. We're doing our research now. I'm by no means rich, I hope you can still get somthing on the lake without spending a fortune:) My wife wants to go down this weekend, because it looks like it's gonna be a rainy Memorial weekend up here. We'll see, I'd like to have more time than a 4 day weekend, so I'm thinking some time this summer. But a road trip is coming:)

Sydwayz 05-21-2003 10:12 AM

AHA! Wonderwick. You were at the PR last weekend weren't you? I recognize that boat in your avatar.

Gary C 05-21-2003 01:35 PM

How was that poker run last weekend anyway?

Sydwayz 05-21-2003 02:37 PM

It was fun. About 1/3 of the folks ran around the lake via truck. We braved it, and it was not that bad. The boat is still filthy though. I hear they are changing the date of the event for next year. Good turnout. All 75 boats were there; and the boats are getting bigger and better.