Notices

OT: more tahoe prob.

Old 05-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: more tahoe prob.

Once again I call on the infinite wisdom of OSO.my 96 tahoe is giving me chit again. I got on the highway today to p/u/ some stuff for the boat. Truck was running a little funny (bucking @ 65-70) so I'm thinking EGR. than I get off and stopped at the exit ramp and the engine light pops on, The trucks idling so rough I thought it was going to die. The odd thing is as soon as it started this I noticed the gas peddle sticking in the closed position

once I pushed the peddle enough to crack the throttle plate open than it operated smoothly, almost like too much vacuum. The truck has been throwing the light on and off for a while with a rich mixture code, but never a drivability problem. Also I wood think if the egr was sticking it wood cause low vacuum and a lean condition.
I'm hoping someone has run into this before cause I don't have the time or money to troubleshoot this thing being that I'd like to get my boat ready before it snows again.
Thanks in advance,
Martin.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

My goodness. How many miles are on this thing? On my 96 Tahoe, and the only thing I ever replaced was the wiper controller.

I wish you luck.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Registered

120,000 I've always had god luck with chevy's But I'm gonna DRIVE THIS F ***IN THING OFF A CLIFF.
I'm sure it was a maintance free vehicle for the last owner.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:50 PM
Registered

A rough idle can sometimes be a vacuum leak. It may run somewhat smooth at speed but horrible at idle. A huge sucking noise is a good clue otherwise it may be buried and not noticable. How about plugs and/or wires? 120k would mean they are shot if never replaced. Those TBI engines are still simple so you should be able to fix it yourself. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Registered

I shut the truck off and restarted it and it runs fine now. I don't think it is mechanical or vacuum I'm pretty sure its electrical sys. I was just wondering if anyone has expieienced this from an EGR valve, That is what I'm leaning towards, and will cause the internal vacuum leak.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:11 PM
Registered

Wish I could help but like sydways said the only thing that I have had to replace is a wiper motor.

Oh yeah and a master cylinder (Thanks Again)
BTW, did ya get the beast painted?
Old 05-19-2003, 02:25 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!

Would a vacuum leak make a engine run rough at idle???

My little 4.3CPI Blazer idles a little rough but once you touch the gas it is smooth as can be....now there is an issue at the throttle body....the bellow that attaches there is a real ***** and is torn at the collar on the bottom side.I never thought much about it and slapped it on as best it would go.

It's the last bottom part of the intake tube that slides on the throttle body..... If this is just an issue then i will venture out to get another...whatta think
Old 05-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

If you think its vacume/electrical related you may want to clean the IAC valve.......or if you havent done so allready go to the local GM dealer and get a can of Top Engine Cleaner (TEC) ..follow directins for cleaning engine and i always change plugs after doing this. Or you can get the same stuff from NAPA but its goes under the name Sea Foam .....it cleans all the gunk off the inside of the intake and cylinders

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-19-2003, 02:40 PM
Registered

I was on my way to p/u more fineline tape when this crap happened but It's really coming along. four more colors and the clear and I'll be done.

I just ran the codes and got RICH MIX BANK 1
RICH MIX BANK 2
DEALER INSALLED EMISSIONS
CAM LOCATION.
the cam location code is from when I did my intake and accidentally started it with the distribtor harness unplugged.I never cleared the codes.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the advice guys

Quick Reply: OT: more tahoe prob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.