Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT Ford Diesel Owners HELP >

OT Ford Diesel Owners HELP

Notices

OT Ford Diesel Owners HELP

Old 05-21-2003, 05:02 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I run a small fleet of Ford diesel trucks, and a medium sized fleet (200 + pieces) of diesel construction equipment. We have found the quality of many of the major aftermarket filters on the market pretty much blows. Napa has been tossed out of my shops as a whole due to issues with fuel and oil filters, and will never be allowed back in.

In our trucks, we use the Racor Interceptor replacement element for the fuel. You should be able to locate these for around 17 - 8 bucks each. (B, I dont have the number here, do you still have it? If not I can post it later) The major advantage to tis element is it has Racor's waterbloc element in it, which will shut down the engine by plugging up if water gets in it, raher than letting it go through like the rest of the elements. The Ford element is the same BTW.

On the oil flters, you have two options. An international dealer can sell you the IH element, which is a Fleetgaurd, usually around 11 - 12 bucks. I use the Ford 1995 element, which Discount Auto carries for $9.49.

IMO, chuck the fuel filter at every oil change. One trip to the dealer with an injection system crippled by water will cost you way more than the elements you toss..

B, if your light came on, then you have an issue with water in the tank at this stage, and it will happen again. run the tank loas as often as possible for awhile, and keep draining the bowl, maybe even a couple times inbetween filter changes, till it is gone. Oh yeah, and quit buying fuel at the cheap places

Scott B

A stroke stops a heartbeat
Old 05-21-2003, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take mine off with ratchet with an extension on it.2000 PSD
Old 05-21-2003, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you all missing something ,,,,,,,,?

Try using an oil filter wrench ! Thats what that small round lip is for on the top of the lid around the outside . You know what an oil filter wrench looks like right ? Its a large metal band on a handle . Of course it helps to have one that is adjustable both on the band and the handle position .

Don't take chances on your fuel system ! YOu WILL be sorry one day ! You don't want to know what new injectors cost for that truck ! Change the oil between 3,000-4,000 and do the fuel filter too . DO NOT go over 6000 miles on the fuel filter . Trust me , I work on them everyday . It's not like you can afford it ! like most of us ,You probably spend more then that on beer !
Old 05-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

OK, TWO Questions?
Is the Racor just like the Motorcraft top?
AND do you get a new top with the Motorcraft and Racor.
Or do I save the top from the last filter?

No WIF light all day today, since draining the bowl and changing the filter, she has been fine as the book said.
WIF light means 2 pints water in bowl according to book.

Thanks, Bryan
Old 05-22-2003, 04:31 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Racor is identical to the Motorcraft. Keeps your stock lid, just replace the gaskets.

I stock em, can ship ya some B if you want. Contact me BC or landline, I will check pricing for ya..

Boot, you working on Powerstrokes, or diesels in general? I am curious how the 6.0's are doing, may be upgrading the truck..

Scott B

South of the Suwanee
Old 05-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott, I do performance upgrades on all diesels . small ,medium ,and large .

I have sold 6- 6 litre fords in the last month. 2 have had rough running conditions related to bad ICP sensors . I just got MY new one yesturday. Its a little quieter then the 7.3 and little lazier too ! It makes pretty good power overall but right off idle it is a little slow getting wound up . Sort of like the duramax. For performance UPGRADES , , they ROCK ! A minor "chip " from the right company REALY puts to snap back into it ! I would recommend running it for a while to make sure there are no issues before modifing it . My one customer went from NJ to west VA. twice before it quit running ! MY Ford Mechanic said he just received more updates for the computers on them last week . He said they are constintly updateing these new ones . Hope they get it figured out soon . I want to put my "POWER MODULE" in my new one !
It sucks when you sell the stuff and don't have it in your own truck.............. Later, JOE
Old 05-23-2003, 09:12 AM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

OK, Scott you were right, light returned two days later after the Puralator filter, must be the fuel. Drained bowl again, I am on 1/4 tank.
Went to NAPA, their brand is $19 and you reuse you stock cap, unlike puralator which gives you a new one (26 bucks total).

So?? Do I fill her again now or run it until the 5 gallon light comes on?

Help me out here... I now fully understand how this works.

Also there was crud in the bottom of the bowl which I cleaned out with a paper towel.
Bryan