Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
It runs, but I think I have an issue!!  Please take a look and lend a hand!!! >

It runs, but I think I have an issue!! Please take a look and lend a hand!!!

Notices

It runs, but I think I have an issue!! Please take a look and lend a hand!!!

Old 05-20-2003, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been my experience that a fresh engine will run a little warmer than normal till it gets some time on it. My hp 500 also warms up a lot faster on the hose than it does in the lake. It warms up even faster and cycles quicker at high idle.
As far as the gauges being jumpy, I would vote for a bad ground.
Good luck.............................................. ........................Roger
Old 05-20-2003, 11:42 PM
Registered

Mike,
Run it on the hose without the Stat and see if it's still heating up. I'd also throw a mechanical Temp gauge on to double check the temp. I don't trust electric gauges. I ran mine on the hose for fifteen minutes Saturday and couldn't get the engine over 140. My stats are 140’s. Next winter you need to put a water pressure gauge on the Foul so you don't have to second guess if your impellor is good.

Good luck,
Dan
Old 05-21-2003, 04:42 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike sorry you had a mess with the oil pressure gauge but its supposed to be run on the floor with that gauge not in the bilge!It gets banged around alot in the garage hope you have better luck at LOTO!!!
Old 05-21-2003, 07:37 AM
Registered

You mite want to take the whole thermostst housing appart I had problemems once with crap in there good luck.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:31 AM
Registered

if you had the balls out of the housing from the start that is your problem on a hose or in the lake, the "piddle Balls" hold the water water in theblock to an extent until the t stat opens, while they are just letting by what is required to the exhaust without these in there you will always experience an overheat condition at idle, because without them there they allow all the water to run right into the exhaust. there is still water in the block that you are seeing through the block plugs but that water never really has to leave since most of your fresh incoming water is going right straight thru where the piddle balls should be.... oh yeah this whole statement only applies to engines originally equipped with piddle balls. p.s. if you need some i have them here at loto 374-5257
Old 05-21-2003, 09:23 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

He said "Piddle Balls"
Old 05-21-2003, 09:26 AM
RHC
Registered

Default Re: Over Heating

WaterFoul :

Try taking the water inlet hose off at the engine circulating pump and back flush the oil cooler, also take off the Sea Pump hose and back flush,, there will be particles of impellers and trash stuck in both places that can slow down the water flow,,, it will still flow, however u will only be getting 50% of the volume that u should be getting. Hope all the problems are simple ones

RHC