Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need part PLEASE. Marathon trip more expensive than I planned (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/50636-need-part-please-marathon-trip-more-expensive-than-i-planned.html)

frequentflyer 05-22-2003 01:29 PM

Need part PLEASE. Marathon trip more expensive than I planned

First a quick overview of my trip. The races were great. I got out there with my boat and the weather and seas were perfect. I saw Tim G. and Ryan Beckley out there (both boats were awesome) and everyone was just having a good time watching the races. Then for my ride back. I was running upper 70s with 6 people on my boat. The seas were maybe 1-2 with an occational 3 from a passing boat. All of a sudden when we slowed down we noticed we were missing a cowling off one of my ProMax 300s. I turned around to look for it and both motors shut off. I ran out of gas even though the gauge showed 1/4 tank. I was pissed. Called BoatUS and 45 minutes later the guy shows up and almost rams my boat. Stupidly I tried to push him off, fell, caught my arm between the boats now my entire arm is now one big bruise. Now for my dilema. For the life of me, I cannot find a cowling for this motor other than the $1,800 original Mercury replacement part. Eagle1 Performance sells theirs for $599 with stickers but the bottom shrowd needs to be replaced for it to fit so I have to pull the powerhead. If anyone can offer some assistance I would greatly appreciate it.

skatermike24 05-22-2003 01:34 PM

Dude thats horrible, sorry to hear about the cowling, try over at screamandfly.com these guys deal nothing but outboard stuff, you might get lucky, good luck

CigDaze 05-22-2003 01:35 PM

Holy Chit!!!!! :eek:
WTF are they thinking? $1800 :eek: :o

I could probably make like 5 of 'em out of carbon fiber for less than that!

kitten 05-22-2003 01:46 PM

oh no! :eek:

Ryan Beckley 05-22-2003 02:19 PM

I think John at Offshore Concepts may have a cowling? His number is 407-891-8900. Thanks for letting us tie up with you all, I'll keep my eyes open for anothe cowl too.

SUPERSTITIOUS 05-22-2003 02:48 PM

Makes me almost want to padlock mine!!!OOOOUUUUCCCHHHH

frequentflyer 05-22-2003 03:00 PM

Thanks guys. Mike.. I tried the screamandfly forums and sent a couple of e mails to people that have posted in the past. Ryan no problem. Anytime. It was cool to be tied to a race boat. I called John and he doesn't have one but referred me to Scott @ Intense Marine. He can get them new for about 1100 which is a great relief but still...
Oh-Zone .. believe me, I'm working on a solution. I've heard the early promax's have a tendency to do that. It's fixed on the X.

frequentflyer 05-22-2003 07:39 PM

Hey Nick.. Do you ever bring your boat down to So. Fla ?

CigDaze 05-23-2003 07:43 AM

Flyer,
I haven't yet...but I plan to some day!
The water is really great down there! :)

frequentflyer 05-23-2003 09:10 AM

Let me know when you do Nick. We'll meet up.