Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
For those who doubt the effectivness of Drew Marine Steering Stabilizers, read on... >

For those who doubt the effectivness of Drew Marine Steering Stabilizers, read on...

Notices

For those who doubt the effectivness of Drew Marine Steering Stabilizers, read on...

Old 06-01-2003, 12:20 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up For those who doubt the effectivness of Drew Marine Steering Stabilizers, read on...

I have had ONE of these on my boat since I lost my power steering belt and spun out within the length of my boat at 60 mph 5 years ago. I installed it myself, and have really done nothing to it since then. This past week at LOTO I again lost my power steering belt at 60 mph. EXCEPT this time the boat did not make the violent turn to the right. Instead, it simply became difficult to steer and allowed me to simply throttle down and stop and put the hatch up. I put the belt back on and continued on my way to Big Dicks Halfway Inn. Two days later, the belt broke while getting on plane near the highway 54 bridge. No spare belt (I was already running on the spare). The stabilizer allowed me to get back on plane by keeping the wheel straight instead of yanking it out of my hand as I added rpm getting on plane. While difficult to steer, I was able to drive my boat slowly to our destination and back without any drama.

I firmly believe in this product. My boat will go 62 mph or so and I do not feel hydraulic steering is neccessary for my application. I do however feel that the stabilizer saved my ass (and my friend Tom, OSO member Drag120) from possible injury, as well as my boat from possible damage. In the spin out 5 years ago I had 3 friends with me and we ALL ended up on the floor under the port side bolster with the boat still at about 4000 rpm or so and doing circles. Scary situation. As well as stopping the spin, this product takes nearly all the play out of my 16 year old stock steering. I can let go of the wheel in 3 footers on Lake Michigan and the boat will maintain a straight course. Try that with stock Merc power steering. I would also challenge you to get your single engine boat on plane without power steering once. Take the belt off and try it!!! WAY more difficult without the stabilizer, believe me!! Been there, done that!!

Just some FYI for my OSO friends.

'Foul
Old 06-01-2003, 01:23 AM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Thanks Foul for the info. I have one sitting in my storage just waiting for me to get around to putting the thing on along with all the other items for the boat.

Hawaii no ka 'oi
Old 06-01-2003, 08:19 AM
Registered

I am a firm beliver that FULL HYDRALIC steering is neede on all performance boats. I know it's expensive but think it is a neccesity.Wardey
Old 06-01-2003, 09:21 AM
Registered

Full hydraulic, only way to go!
Old 06-01-2003, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see they are for sale on www.marinesupermart.com under steering stabilizers. I like the Drew marine logo (wonder if they sell T"shirts) also the Scarab.
http://www.drewmarine.com/scarab4sale.html
I love Black Boats !
Old 06-01-2003, 10:24 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally posted by Too Old
Yeah....but why do you keep throwing and breaking belts???

It must have something to do with that 7,500rpm red line!
Old 06-01-2003, 10:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally posted by catmando
My Carlson has helm-to-transom hydraulic. Would the stabilizer help?
Come on Catman, think about it for one minute
Old 06-01-2003, 12:00 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Cord
It must have something to do with that 7,500rpm red line!
7500? There is no reason for a motor to have to spin to that abuse!! Bet it sounds pretty sweet!!
Old 06-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

The belt was old. Plain and simple.

As for full hyd. try living paycheck to paycheck and you will find that a full system is just not in your budget. Sorry. I got a good deal on the stabilizer, and other than the belt incidents, I've never had trouble steering my boat in the 9 seasons I've had it.

'Foul