Bigfoot is real
15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Jessica Lynch rescue staged?

Old 05-24-2003, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Jessica Lynch rescue staged?

THE LAST LINE IS THE ONE THAT MAKES YOU SAY
HMMMMMMMMMMMM!

WASHINGTON (May 23) - Defense officials said on Friday the Pentagon was insulted by media claims the rescue of Jessica Lynch in Iraq was hyped to boost support for the war as questions swirled over the private's capture, her rescue and injuries.

The U.S. Army has launched an investigation into the capture of Lynch and others on March 23 in Iraq and an Army spokesman said the military's Criminal Investigation Unit was also looking at the treatment of Lynch and other U.S. prisoners of war in Iraq to establish if any war crimes were committed.

Lynch's rescue on April 1 from an Iraqi hospital by U.S. forces was billed a daring, heroic act in which brave special operations troops stormed into a hospital in the dead of night to rescue a fallen comrade. It also made the 20-year-old Lynch, of Palestine, West Virginia, a hero and symbol of patriotic pride.

But a British Broadcasting Corp. documentary concluded after interviewing Iraqis that the rescue was a Hollywood-style stunt designed to boost patriotism at a difficult time in the war.

Pentagon spokesman Marine Lt. Col. Dave Lapan said it was ''ludicrous and insulting'' for the BBC to suggest the rescue was staged and hyped up.

''The thing that is most insulting is the suggestion that we would put U.S. service members at risk to stage such an event. This was a real rescue under a combat situation,'' Lapan told Reuters. ''In addition, the war was not going badly.''

The BBC report portrayed a rescue in which there was little danger to the soldiers and quoted a local doctor as saying troops fired blank rounds to ''make a show.'' The report said the U.S. military knew before going in there were no Iraqi forces guarding the hospital.

Lapan said there were firefights outside the hospital with ''irregular Iraqi forces'' and to suggest blanks were used was silly.

DIFFERENT VERSION

Lynch, an Army supply clerk, was captured on March 23 when her 507th Maintenance Company convoy was ambushed after taking a wrong turn near the southern Iraqi city of Nasiriya. Nine other U.S. soldiers were killed in the attack.

News reports since Lynch was rescued have varied, from claims Lynch was slapped around in the hospital to reports sympathetic Iraqis risked their lives by driving her to a U.S. checkpoint only to be turned away.

Lapan said the military had not been able to confirm reports Lynch was turned away but said this was unlikely.

The Washington Post published an opinion page article on Friday in which a long-time columnist chastised the paper for making mistakes in its coverage of the Lynch rescue.

''I take my own paper to task for the manner in which it reported the Lynch story,'' wrote the Post's Richard Cohen.

The Post initially said Lynch was shot and stabbed as she fought off her attackers ''gun blazing'' until she was taken prisoner.

''Trouble is, much of that may be false,'' Cohen wrote, adding Lynch was likely neither shot nor stabbed.

''Maybe the Pentagon hyped the Lynch story. Maybe in the confusion of the rescue, some honest people in the Pentagon just got things wrong. Whatever the case, The Post seemed unable simply to say so,'' Cohen added.

Army spokesman Bruce Anderson said the military was doing its own investigation into the capture of Lynch. ''It's an after-action review of a significant incident,'' Anderson said.

The Army's Criminal Investigation unit is doing a separate investigation into the treatment of U.S. prisoners of war to determine whether any war crimes were committed by Iraqis. Unit spokesman Chris Gray said investigators had been on the ground in Iraq since the beginning of the conflict.

One person unlikely to shed any light on what happened is Lynch, who doctors say has no recollection of the event.

Reut15:56 05-23-03
Old 05-24-2003, 07:14 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

What libs will do to denegrate the US Military
What about the Franch Military!!!
Attached Thumbnails Jessica Lynch rescue  staged?-frenchspecialforces.jpg  
Old 05-24-2003, 09:12 AM
Mike J

I agree with Too Old.
Im Older than Too Old.
Mike J.

Old 05-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Too Old
I suppose Americans beat her and snapped a few bones for authenticity.

This is right up there with:

1. We never put a man on the moon. It was staged in Hollywood.

2. The Holocaust never happened.

3. Elvis had a Double Whopper with cheese add peanut butter at Burger King last night.
I did`nt know you could get them with penut butter!
Old 05-24-2003, 12:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally posted by catmando
"No recollection of the event"? I wonder if the Iraqis drugged her?
Holy ****nit!!! Look at the new and improved Catman Welcome back and keep it up

Craig
Old 05-24-2003, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Six voted Yes !!!! My God I Guess there is still a market for size two hats !!
Old 05-24-2003, 05:49 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow this "ignore list" thing is cool
Old 05-24-2003, 10:29 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like I'm in Stepford. First Shane and now Catmando, who's the next to become tamed?

Keep it up Cat!
Old 05-24-2003, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The story going around is that all her wounds were from her crashing the vehicle, and she was taken to the hospital for treatment and she made the whole story up, about her fighting until she ran out of ammo is BS she was knocked out when she went into the windshield of the truck and was taken to the hospital where she woke up in bed. She was being treated for her wounds in the hospital.

I read a story where 1 person made a good point. IF it was true that she fought until the ammo ran out and she was tortured why was she kept alive to tell the story and taken to a hospital and treated? Why wasn't she shot to death on site during the fire fight? The story goes on to say they found her knocked the (f) out in the front seat of the truck after all the fighting was done, when the Iraq's realized she was still alive they rushed her to the hospital.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Too Old. Way to many people to keep a story going and to maintain a lie.

In real life it just don't happen, you can't keep the story straight and keep a secret.

Then again I forgot that in some peoples eyes, "Everything is a Conspiracy".

Quick Reply: Jessica Lynch rescue staged?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.