Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Holidays bring out the best boaters...... >

Holidays bring out the best boaters......

Notices

Old 05-27-2003, 08:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, it sure does.

We were anchored near the beach on East Lake Toho when this guy and his wife pulled in with a 18-20' Bayliner cuddy cruiser.
His skills at anchoring were second to none. He pulls in, turns 90 degrees to the wind (to starboard) and tosses the anchor. No, it wasn't tossed into the wind either.
The boat starts to swing but winds up in shallow marsh with tall reeds. The guy and wife aren't paying attention, never knew they ended up in a marsh.
My wife asks if I saw that and wondered if I should go help. Yeah, I said, I'll go see what I can do.
As I'm walking over I spot his anchor "line". It looked more like string than rope. Turns out it was a piece of stiff 1/8-3/16" three strand Poly.
I introduce myself, he never did say his name, I ask if he noticed where his boat was? Nope never noticed. I offered to help push his boat out and started to pull in his "anchor".
I couldn't believe what I saw next.
His anchor was a tiny 5lb fluke type meant for canoes or kayaks. Then I spotted the knots he used to attach the line to the anchor. He had three "granny" knots.
I looked at him and asked "been boating long??".
I untied his knots and retied using a boline. Then I tried to set the anchor. The bottom is sand and easy to to get any anchor to hold fast. Not this one. Every time it dug in I could pull it out real easy. I couldn't get it to hold no how. So I set it as best as I could and said good by.
As I walk back I noticed a "For Sale" sign on it and mumbled "good thing".

Old 05-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, almost good enough to stay home...

Fortunately, I have incurred not a single new scratch on my boat this weekend...Unfortunately, it's because she sat in a rack all weekend.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Baja Daze
Yep, almost good enough to stay home...

Fortunately, I have incurred not a single new scratch on my boat this weekend...Unfortunately, it's because she sat in a rack all weekend.
OH REALLY, Mr. too busy to come up to N.Y. w/ a plane full of dry-ice !!! Thanks PAL !!

Just kidding Nick, what happened ?? thought you were getting ready on friday ??
Old 05-27-2003, 08:41 AM
Banned

We didn't go out either this weekend. I consider it amateur weekend, akin to drinking on New Year's. Debbie was having a fit to go out, so I told her we would go Monday. Found both batteries dead, so we had to put them on the charger for a few hours. In the meantime, we rode out and checked how crowded the ramps were. They were bad! There were boats already launched with the people still in their trucks with the trailers waiting for someone to come in so they could get a parking place. I kept dilly dallying around, trying to make it seem too late to go. She wouldn't have any of that!!!! Finally I had to bribe her with dinner at her favorite seafood place and a promise to take the boat out both days next weekend.

Last edited by cuda; 05-27-2003 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:48 AM
Registered

Iggy it was great to run into yesterday. get some tires for that trailer so we can do so road trips
Old 05-27-2003, 09:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Working on it Mike. We need to see some new water and places to party.
It was good running into you yesterday. Didn't get time to download the pics from the camera last night. Will get to them tonight.

Later.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris,
Remember, this was the weekend from hell with the in-laws....

I did manage to sneak out for few hours for boat ride on a friend's boat on Saturday, but I never took mine out.

This is when we saw Mike briefly...How was Shell, Mike???