Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Make your boat shine, and say goodbye to wax (long) >

Make your boat shine, and say goodbye to wax (long)

Notices

Make your boat shine, and say goodbye to wax (long)

Old 06-01-2003, 07:33 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by GO4BROKE
My wife, a chemist, has never heard of flourine glass.
Concerning a fluorine-based car-care product, this might be of interest:

Recently, as one example, Nissan introduced for its Infiniti luxury car a new fluorine-based clearcoat finish which the carmaker said would need no waxing for years. But, while it might not need waxing, the new clearcoat required, as do all clearcoats, special care and special products to administer that care.

Chemists from one of the most respected manufacturers of detailing products in the United States worked closely with DuPont's chemists, who had developed the fluorine-based finish, to formulate products designed to maintain its beauty and assure its long life. This product maker has a full-scale lab of its own. It staffs chemists specialized in car-care products. Nissan and DuPont approved the products specially formulated for the new clearcoat. Result: Nissan issued a maintenance bulletin to its dealers and to independent detailers recommending that only the new fluorine-compatible detailing products be used on the Infiniti -- until some other product maker came up with products as compatible with the finish (which is likely to happen). It is unlikely that a detailer's own cleaning, polishing, and waxing formulas could work on the special clearcoat finish as well as laboratory-formulated products.

The entire article can be found here: http://www.autodetail.com/secrets2.htm

Further interesting info might be:
http://www.properautocare.com/pershowcarpa.html

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 06-01-2003, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this sounds a little like the Star brite product called Glass Cote, I have always used wax and i even use to use 303 protectant on the gel coat, well the glass cote is in a pint bottle for 23.99 never used it, but was just wondering if it is similar to what we are talking about here
Mark
Old 06-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Sounds like flourine is the next greatest thing in shiny paint. Not sure what the magic is, flourine is next to chlorine on the periodic table, similar to a degree. Perhaps it makes a good base for the clearcoat and evaporates out well.
I am anxiouse to see the test results. And some OSO advertising. A 25% OSO discount would be nice too!!!
Old 06-01-2003, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

While we're on the cleaning/waxing/preserving subject, has anybody tried the (heck, I can't remember the name of it) Oh yeah - Island Girl. Has anybody used any "Island Girl" stuff for vinyl and plastic cleaning/preserving? The website is pretty comprehensive and I've found a bunch of info on it.

I'm looking for something to get the "yellowing" off the white vinyl on the sea ray where the cushions touch each other (how come they only yellow where the cushions touch?).
Old 06-01-2003, 11:18 AM
Registered

Here we go again!
I have used bleach water and a ton of other products. 3M, Pinnacle, Dolphinite and Biokleen. What I found was that the bleach water rots the stitching and dries out the vinyl. The 3M leaves a residue that eventually turns a dark brown in the stitching. The Pinnacle didn't work as well as the 3M. The Dolphinite and the Biokleen were about identical as far as getting rid of the yellowing. Both took out mildew stains and both made my vinyl look great. The difference in the two was that the Dolphinite had alcohol in it and I read that alcohol will eventually dry out the vinyl. Armor All had the same problem originally. When people would use it on their dashboards it would dry and crack the dashboards of their cars. The new armor all no longer has alcohol in it. I think MaGuires has a leather cleaner as well. I am not sure though. I have never used it. Over all I (once again) recommend the Biokleen stuff. They are priced the same.
Here is a link in case you are interested"
Biokleen Vinyl Cleaner

Anybody else have any recommendations?
Old 06-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Registered

Originally posted by tako
I know... but we did the test...
Anyway, I will wait for someone to try our product and write more reviews..... Thanks.
I thought a month ago we all thought that a smooth bottom goes slower than a slightly rough bottom?

Tommy
Old 06-01-2003, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

How would it work on fresh Imron paint,white?? Tripps
Old 06-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Good point Tommy.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:13 PM
Registered

I've always been told not to put anything on a fresh paint job for at least 6 months
Old 06-01-2003, 03:02 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by Zyzzyx2123
Sounds like the same stuff as the Biokleen but at 5 times the price. The Biokleen label says polytetrafluorothylene is the active ingredient. Google search says that is Teflon. Sorry I just know what has worked for me extremely well. I have never heard of this one and it sounds like the same thing. I'm no chemist just a label reader
PTFE is the crap that's in Slick 50. What's that all about?

Quick Reply: Make your boat shine, and say goodbye to wax (long)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.