Need Info. on Switzer Power Boats >

Need Info. on Switzer Power Boats

Notices

Need Info. on Switzer Power Boats

Old 10-24-2002, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Info. on Switzer Power Boats

I've been looking for a fast 24-28 ft. single engine ride in good condition. I've found a 24SS Switzer for sale in the area. I remember Switzer from the late 80's, but haven't been successful in finding any info. on them.

Anyone have input on the boats & company? Recommendations?

Thanks.
Ricochet.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I owned an '88 24' with a 454-365hp bravo. Fun little boat. That was the biggest boat they ever built (except for a one off 32') They went out of business around 94 or so. The 24' was a really fun boat however the fit and finish left a lot to be desired. It ran 68-69 mph with that setup. The boat handled fine as long as you were going in a straight line. In the turns the boat liked to slide pretty drastically then all of a sudden it would catch and outside chine and want to roll up to the out side. I put on way over a thousand ours on my boat and I would drive the hell out of it. The hull held up great. Alot of the hardware however had to have constant attention as they didn't thru bolt anything. they also don't like the rough water. Because of its bottom design if you got in anything more than a 1-2 chop it would just beat you to death. A really fun lake/river boat however.

I still have a real soft spot for the 24' Switzer.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:54 AM
Registered

I currently own a 1988 24' Switzer. Todd is right in that the finish leads something to be desired but I have been thoroughly pleased with mine.

It is for sale for $18,000 CDN (about $11,500US). It has a Ford 460CI with the OMC King Cobra drive, dual axle aluminum trailer, new tonneau cover and the upholstry needs a little TLC.

I am selling it because we are expecting our second child in March and I will not have time to use it next summer. You can see some pictures at http://home.cogeco.ca/~jcollins8/. The driver's seat is missing in these picture because I was having it rebuildt at the time.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Bam,

That is the exact black red and grey color scheme I had on my. Back in 88' was the first year for the merc Bravo 1 outdrive. Most of the 24's coming out then had the 460 King Cobra setup. I actually went to the factory ( it was only 45 min from home which made it easy) and asked them to build mine with the Merc setup.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Switzer

The company was a leader in the smaller boat design and racing mostly OB's in the 50's & 60's. From Crystal City (?) IN.

There is a thread with lots of info - try a search.

Unfortunately these 24 footers are not really big water boats, a 24 Pantera or similar is better suited. If you are looking to pick one up real cheap than that's OK. They really don't have any resale so just beware.

Wannabe in Motor City
Old 10-25-2002, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally posted by ActiveThunderTodd
Bam,

That is the exact black red and grey color scheme I had on my. Back in 88' was the first year for the merc Bravo 1 outdrive. Most of the 24's coming out then had the 460 King Cobra setup. I actually went to the factory ( it was only 45 min from home which made it easy) and asked them to build mine with the Merc setup.
That's cool, I was going to have the interior redone this winter and my wife wanted to keep the same colour scheme, but the baby is priority now. The OMC is my only dissappointment with the boat, if it had a Merc, I would keep it but I am nervous about the OMC breaking some day and not being able to get the parts.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:39 AM
Registered

Default Re: Switzer

Originally posted by wannabe
The company was a leader in the smaller boat design and racing mostly OB's in the 50's & 60's. From Crystal City (?) IN.
Actually it's Crystal Lake, Il. - they were a fairly small outfit one town over from where I live, so we have a few Switzers here in the area.
Everyone I know thinks highly of the 24'....
Old 10-25-2002, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy Nick is selling his 24 Switzer as well. He's a trucker and has not used the boat in nearly 3 years. It's in need of some TLC and located in NY if you are interested, PM me...He's also moving so I think he's VERY motivated!

P.S. Ive ridden in the boat...it's got big block 454 and bravo drive with nose cone...and is FAST!
Old 10-25-2002, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have neighbor has a 24 Switzer, I have spent allot of time on, for the $ it is a really fast boat. His is purple and white, original. He purchased it about 4 years ago for 16K. Everyone is right though it doesn't take waves over 1.5-2 very well/
Old 10-25-2002, 01:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It sure was a really really fun lake boat

Quick Reply: Need Info. on Switzer Power Boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.