575SC
39.44%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Whippled or Not

Old 06-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Charter Member # 430
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well put Unc. Hey do you have a Daytona? I waved, shoulda stopped while you were exiting the channel on Memorial Day.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:45 PM
Charter Member # 430
Charter Member

So what kind of maintenance charges can I look forward to with a Whippled motor?
Old 06-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Uncle Toys

Originally posted by kcgbjc
Well put Unc. Hey do you have a Daytona? I waved, shoulda stopped while you were exiting the channel on Memorial Day.
Yep, got a 26 Daytona with red flames. Sorry I missed you, do you get out there often? Will need to hook up this summer.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Charter Member # 430
Charter Member

In Havasu once to twice a month in the summer, most holiday weekends the EBA Spring & Fall Runs, and the Light Parade.

I will hopefully will be finding some local storage (So Cal) so that I can do a bit more ocean with my SCOPE buddies. This was Universal Chaos and I last weekend at the poker run.
Attached Thumbnails Whippled or Not-nort-1.jpg  
Old 06-05-2003, 02:36 PM
wilerty

kcgbjc: I had a 2000 Velocity 280 with a 502Mag EFI that I put a Whipplecharger on at 40 hours. I sold the boat a month ago with 140 hours on it. I also installed an offshore water pickup and strainer. I used a Bravo one with a Gaffrig "Innercooler" and turned a Bravo 1 30". The top speed on my boat went from 70 to 85 GPS and was an absolute pleasure to use. I had no problems with it, the engine, or the outdrive at all. However, some thoughts ...

1. Whipple is using a new design now, so it's a different unit than mine.
2. I used mine "sparingly". No full throttle starts, no full throttle for a half hour, no poker runs, and very little air time. If you're a fast cruiser, the Whipple would be fine ... if you're a racer, it's going to get expensive.
3. The out drive is the week point.
4. I used mine to cruise at 65mph at 4000rpm and occaisionally light my hair on fire for a few seconds. If this is your plan ... don't be affraid of the Whipple.

There is another option. Talk to Dustin Whipple about a Whipple charger with a different pulley that maybe puts out 525HP. It would give you plenty of horsepower for a fraction of the cost of a Mercury, be more reliable, and would put much less stress on the outdrive.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Charter Member # 430
Charter Member

I'm with you on sparingly. I'm FAR from a racer, just like to have a respectable speed. After a 60mph little boat, I am anxious to be able to keep up with many of my 65-70 mph friends.

I think I'm getting the Bravo XR drive, I'll verify that!

Last edited by kcgbjc; 06-05-2003 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Charter Member # 430
Charter Member

I just spoke to Dustin. Thanks for reminding me.

He made me much more comfortable. I understand he is a Whipple sales guy, but I know he has been very helpful and honest to many before me.

The one thing I was off on was that the 575 is super charged (thanks ToddW), a wonderful motor and expensive. A very important thing to my wife mainly but to me also is that it would not fit completely in the engine compartment. I do not want a boat with a huge cover over the blower.

He mentioned that better off bolting on to a 496 MAG or a 500HP because the 502 is out with the 454.

He also gave Magic and their custom builder good marks. Again he sells to them so I'll take that as only a part of my decision.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Uncle Toys

1. There is a tight relationship between blower motors and testosterone. Therefore, they are not for the marginally funded UNLESS you’re a motor head who loves a challenge.

Now I know what my problem is. There is not such thing as too much HP. Just because you have it does not mean you have to nail the throttle.

To add to this, is remember (Wife says I don't) the harder you run it the more likely you are to break something.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Charter Member # 1215

Hot Boat/DLAW,

There is not enough space on this website to go into great detail about my story, but I will try to make it as simple as possible. Being told from a Dependable and Reliable Boat facility in New York, I was told in order to modify engines (SuperCharge) the engines needed to be as close to or new condition, that being said the engines were twin 502's with 10 hours on them, so that no excuses could be made that the stock engines could ever be the reason for failure. After setting up ProChargers, sending out computer, manifiolds, exhaust, new drives, new props, and thousands of dollars, the only time the ran was for the first 2 hours, after that disaster. After several monthsof engines in, then out, then apart, phone call after phone call to Procharger, Arizona Speed, and getting nowhere, I had to face facts and realize that I had made a very costly, and foolish mistake. The end result was after one whole year I had to bite the bullet, and go for a new set of 500EFI's. It's not that there was malice, ill will, or lack of knowledge, but when you do such a modification there are unseen obstacles that can lead to dead ends. with no answers or reasons, regardless of who does it and how much you spend. When time is such a precious commodity, speaking for myself I can't see the extra mph is worth the extra headaches. The bottom line is look what you stand to gain versus what you stand to lose, and I think you will come to the correct decision. I will not make that gamble again
Old 06-05-2003, 08:43 PM
Uncle Toys

Heres a possible alternative for you.

Teague builds a 620hp, naturally aspirated carb'd big block that he has been selling for three years. Price is under $27k and comes with a one year warranty - plus he's a local to you. Believe that price is comparable to Mercs HP500.

Quick Reply: Whippled or Not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.