60.56%
575SC
39.44%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Whippled or Not

Old 06-07-2003, 08:16 AM
Charter Member # 1215

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy to hear that there are plenty of people that have modified their engines with Whipple''s and Prochargers and have had a good fortune with them, as for myself it was quite a different story, but thinking back I do remember in every editorial written in either Powerboat, Hot Boat, and other Magazine the word reliabilty and resale. As far as resale, Phil Lip****z, Martin Marine, Offshore Performance, and other Dealers with who I discussed trading my boat, boats with Blowers Whipples or Prochargers they are quite clear that they wanted nothing to do with them, unless they where Factory built i.e Mercruiser. If you notice, most Cigarettes without engine modifaications sell alot faster then those that have them, mine included. I just sold my 38 Topgun for a 42 Twin Step. and no I will not be Whipple or Prochargering them. As far as my 38TopGun with the 500EFI, I can't guarantee that the new owner will have no problems, but he does have a Mercury warranty
Old 06-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Registered

Hey Top,
what was the name of your Gun that you traded???
Old 06-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Charter Member # 1215

D-HLAW,

Barenboo, was sorry to see it go, Boat is perfect now.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have the first Whipple Charged 496 MAG HO that was previously discussed on another thread. The motor is installed in an Advantage 27' Victory BR.

The original 496 MAG HO dyoned at about 415 HP, not 425 HP and after the blower install the motor dyno tested at a little over 600HP.

The additional 200HP got me about 13 MPH, with 6 lbs of boost. I was running a 22P prop and went up to a 26P Bravo I. I labbed the prop and on a cool day with the water conditions right I have seen 74 MPH @ 5,200 RPM with 60Gal of fuel and 600 lbs of people. I have calculated that I am getting about 1.3 MPG.

I had about 70 hours on the stock motor prior to adding the Whipple and have put on about 40 hours with the new charger.

Not only am I happy with the 14 MPH gain, but the hole shot is incredible. This boat now has a completely different personality.

It was a pleasure working with Art, Dustin & everyone at Whipple. This project was a lot of hard work and the end result is a great product. The customer service at Whipple is second to none.

Thanks Whipple !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:34 PM
boat4life

hey kc just purchased a magic 28 deckboat and i love it they put some pretty quality workmanship in their boats.

Old 06-12-2003, 12:56 AM
Charter Member # 430
Charter Member

Boat4life, I'm pretty happy with the sales service I am getting with Magic and the price is definitely right. I gotta get the graphics together so I can get her in the mold!!!!!
Old 06-12-2003, 05:35 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Von Bongo
Whipple if I already had the 502 or a 525/575 if it was a new boat and I wanted to resell it 2-5 years down the line.
Right on the head VB.
Voting you have to think also of the diff in $$$$$$$ big one here.

Also the whipples you can transfer to another boat with 502's when you upgrade or change making the boat your selling more affortable. I am assuming on 502's Mag MPI
Attached Thumbnails Whippled or Not-whipple2.jpg  
Old 10-08-2006, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Whippled or Not

Originally Posted by Uncle Toys
Anybody on the board that knows me will tell you I don’t have enough experience to give you specific advice. But unfortunately my experience with blower motors is no longer zero. Still, I am only one person with one experience and therefore not statistically significant.

What I will offer is a few general principles that I have picked up from numerous discussions with a lot of motor heads over the past twelve months.

1. There is a tight relationship between blower motors and testosterone. Therefore, they are not for the marginally funded UNLESS you’re a motor head who loves a challenge.
2. You can’t get that big a percentage increase in horsepower by just bolting something on to your motor without materially increasing your chance of a problem – AND ITS NOT A LINEAR RELATIONSHIP!
3. Seek advice from those who are not selling you something.
4. There is a material difference in maintenance cost. Check into the cost and cycle time of “refreshing” blower motors.
5. You will need a couple of extra gauges on your dash – AND – you will need to know how to read them.
6. You buy insurance for the major event. If you have a major event, the insurance company will investigate. If they find a reason to back out on you, they will. Then, the insurance you paid for will not be there for you when you need it.
7. “Turnkey” is expensive. It doesn’t make sense that you can get the performance of a Porsche for the price of a Kia (which takes us back to my first point).

My two cents.
EXCELLENT....and to add to that is
8. Resale....buyers get really spectacle about blown or supercharged motors. The boat becomes real hard to move to the next owner