Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
BOAT KITS - To build, or not to build? >

BOAT KITS - To build, or not to build?

Notices
View Poll Results: Boat Kits - To build or not to build.
Yes - to build
63.16%
No - not to build
36.84%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

BOAT KITS - To build, or not to build?

Old 06-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Superboat

Lightbulb BOAT KITS - To build, or not to build?

I was just reading the Avanti thread. A member asked why all powerboat factories were not offering their boats as kits. I would like the input of this forum. I would like to know what you readers think, good or bad, about a factory offering their models as "kits."

We are considering this. We would, however, make sure that the hull number would designate that the boat was a kit from the beginning.

What do you think?

Post or call me at 631-226-1761.

John Coen
President
Superboat Powerboats
http://www.Superboatonline.com

Old 06-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,656 Likes on 3,775 Posts

I think it would be a good idea, the key is the ability for the buyer to rig the boat properly. and as the builder i dont think you would want a person doing a half as- job and have your name associated with it?? just my thoughts
Old 06-03-2003, 11:58 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as you designate thet the hull was not rigged or finished by the factory i think its a great idea.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:05 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I recently rigged my own boat. Took me ALOT longer than what I had anticipated. However, I ended up with a boat that was built my way. Not every body might like my way, but it's what I wanted. During the rig, I became very familiar with the hull and all of it's "defects". I also had to contact the factory several times requesting setup information. When I was first looking for a boat, I found that very few manufactures were actually willing to sell me a blank hull to rig. It seems that alot of the money was in the rigging and engine packages. Some even went so far as to say that they didn't want a inferior rig job to reflect poorly on them. I also suspect that some may fear that it's an low cost method to splash the hull. Ultimately, I think that it's a great idea that not enough builders offer.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,

I think this is the perfect place for such a poll as most of the folks here on OSO are hands-on boat owners and do alot of their own work.

That being said, I think the idea of offering your boats as a kit is a great idea with the hull id stipulation in mind. The last thing you'd want to happen to your company is having a boat rigged by a less than qualified individual and then they go out and represent the boat as a factory Superboat. that is not to say of course that the kit boats would all be rigged wrong...but ther are things you would probably like to standardize such as the X-dimension so that the purchaser would be assured of a properly handling boat...

all in all, i think it's a great idea.

Sean
Old 06-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many average joe boaters out there would want to buy a boat and rig it themselves? NOT ME!

I would make sure that HULL number is different from the factory built boats. I can see you getting phone calls about used boats sold that you built but didn't rig years from now.

But I can also see people wanting the Hull and set it up their own way.

Can you just add a Hull iD suffix to let everyone know?
I would say Do it, as long as you can let the customers know what you rigged and what you didn't
Old 06-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Registered

When I think of un-rigged boats I think of Skater. They don't seem to have a problem with quality rig jobs.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Tantrum on the other thread. What kind of reputation would a boat builder have if their product was out there exhibiting nothing but problems due to poor rigging. Especially in the second hand/used market where people are buying these boats. Even if they had serial #s to reflect the boat being sold as unrigged, who would know to check serial #s when buying a used boat. Although the people rigging themselves would like to do a nice job, I think there is too much involved to do it right. Boat builders are doing the absolute best to build a better boat to increase sales and make money. A self-rigger would be doing it to save money and have no motivation to make it as "perfect" as possible.

I think it is a bad idea. For a new boat, I would be concerned about safety, and also I feel it would greatly harm the used boat market, from both a quality and safety point of view.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Superboat

Manufacturing the boats under an entirely different name could solve the problem entirely, say Speedkit?

Old 06-03-2003, 01:14 PM
Registered

Certainly there will be good and bad points on both sides of the equation. The option to choose is a great idea so long as you C-Y-A! Maybe sign a release or soomething. My first thought was the same as mentioned earlier. "Many Skaters are rigged elsewhere." Best of luck John and go for it!

Quick Reply: BOAT KITS - To build, or not to build?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.