Notices

28 Skater or 30 Spectre

Old 06-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Speed2Lead
Johno,
Let me get some seat time and get her broken in before we hook-up.
Does that mean you have it now?
Old 06-10-2003, 09:24 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sonny, Get on here and straighten these guys out!

They are both GREAT boats, I have run with both. Personally I am a big block guy and prefer I/O's over outboards.

The styling of the Spectre is Awesome. It would be my first choice.

Looks great in the water, build quality is good and they are fast!

I would like to see a 36 Spectre in my garage.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Registered

Cuda,
I will probably pickup on Sat. the 21 thats the plan as of right now.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:13 PM
packinair

Originally posted by Ryan Beckley
I know there are alot of Motions around too which are fast, but I heard Motion is out of business and the doors are closed, has anyone else heard this? The red lie is VERY fast but when I saw it at the NC race a few years ago it didn't even have a floor in it , the seats were mounted to the top of the tunnel, did they put an interior in it somehow?
being a 100% full race boat they have taken your advice and installed a full interior along with a full pleasure cabin complete with a 6 person hot tub, pool table, full bar, king size water bed, fuss ball table, and a kereokee machine.. I have never had a problem with you but just ONE time I would like to see Doug post with out you trying to start ****

Old 06-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry if that seemed like a slam but I only spoke about what I had seen and heard. I asked about Motion being in Business because I know he knows them a bit I wondered if it was true. As far as the Catastorophic boat I was stating that I didn't think it had an interior so it probably wouldn't make the best pleasure boat, not a slam toward anyone, I've met the owners a few times and was lucky enough to race them a few times as well.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:39 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Speed2Lead
If you have no problem paying 50k more for the skater. The AMT and the Spectre are just as good in slop for 50k less. My 2 cents worth.
$50,000 LESS!!!!! For a twin outboard?...... I doubt it. The hulls MAY be 15 or 20 thousand apart..and that is probably a stretch.

Skaters are more costly....but they are also faster...... in calm AND rough water. If you are buying used.....

Buy a Skater.

T2x
Old 06-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default T2x

I usually agree with you when you post and I am trying not to let my loyalties blur the truth. However, I have driven both and while the Skater did have a slight edge in top speed and acceleration (Very slim) The Spectre being bigger heavier was most definitely more stable in rougher water (kinda makes sense) so driving talent being equal, prolonged top speed in "heavy" water (that is more than 2 seconds and over 1-2 "real" ft ) should be the same or better for the Spectre. right? When running next to my friend with 28's and 30's I notice the skater sprint ahead......get out of shape fall behind.....try to creep back ect.....Spectre seemed more consistent at prolonged top speed ... PLEASE do not miss take this post as a challenge or slam...... just my observation as a recreational boater. I know your a big skater fan and have forgotten more than I'll ever know about this sport. And that Skater,Peter (DMC) has been the Aronow/Cig/Apache of the cat world.
But real world running for these two boats Skater (top Speed) Spectre (Price/Stability) seemed to give both advantages in different areas.

Spectre and Skaters quality is absolute first class. NO cut corners.

.02- amt has great lines (like a mini MTI) and seems to run real fast. While no rub rails looks the BEST. Scares me a little thinking about repairing paint and gel.

bottom line is all of these boats are fast enough to challenge the most experienced boater.

I'll leave you with this. My experience buying a boat through Spectre has been tremendous. They have bent over back wards to make sure I was happy ....for me this continues even 1 year after sale. Not many boat buyers can say this.

Maximus
Old 06-12-2003, 06:31 PM
Registered

I usually agree with you when you post and I am trying not to let my loyalties blur the truth. However, I have driven both and while the Skater did have a slight edge in top speed and acceleration (Very slim) The Spectre being bigger heavier was most definitely more stable in rougher water (kinda makes sense) so driving talent being equal, prolonged top speed in "heavy" water (that is more than 2 seconds and over 1-2 "real" ft ) should be the same or better for the Spectre. right? When running next to my friend with 28's and 30's I notice the skater sprint ahead......get out of shape fall behind.....try to creep back ect.....Spectre seemed more consistent at prolonged top speed ... PLEASE do not miss take this post as a challenge or slam...... just my observation as a recreational boater. I know your a big skater fan and have forgotten more than I'll ever know about this sport. And that Skater,Peter (DMC) has been the Aronow/Cig/Apache of the cat world.
But real world running for these two boats Skater (top Speed) Spectre (Price/Stability) seemed to give both advantages in different areas.

Spectre and Skaters quality is absolute first class. NO cut corners.

.02- amt has great lines (like a mini MTI) and seems to run real fast. While no rub rails looks the BEST. Scares me a little thinking about repairing paint and gel.

bottom line is all of these boats are fast enough to challenge the most experienced boater.

I'll leave you with this. My experience buying a boat through Spectre has been tremendous. They have bent over back wards to make sure I was happy ....for me this continues even 1 year after sale. Not many boat buyers can say this.

Maximus

I agree with Maximus,
While the Skater is much faster in th smooth water 1-2' I was playing with 28' in true 3's and confused water in the Cheaseapeke Bay in which is normal at times a 28' DMC with 8'6 beam and 2 foot shorter could not stay with a 30' and 9'1" beam just more stable.

Jay at Spectre and Edwin at Motion started Motion so I believe the boats are very equal.

Motion has been around since the early 80's I think it's ashame they are for sale.

So the next cat maybe a Spectre or an AMT.

Ryan,
I took the POST the SAME way as Packinair....
Old 06-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Registered

Please do not miss judge my Post,

Skater has set the standards and the other boat builders try to macth or beat them.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 30 Spectre with I/O 500's. I am totally satisfyed wth my boat. I don't run in the ocean but have been to several Poker Runs where the water turns real big. We just leave the guys in the 28 Skaters behind. Go Spectre-you won't be disappointed!
Attached Thumbnails 28 Skater or 30 Spectre-rough-air.jpg  

Quick Reply: 28 Skater or 30 Spectre

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.