Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Eickert exhaust manifold problems - Volvo/Innovation engines? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/51944-eickert-exhaust-manifold-problems-volvo-innovation-engines.html)

C_Spray 06-09-2003 09:57 AM

Eickert exhaust manifold problems - Volvo/Innovation engines?

Has anyone experienced any issues with overheating and cracking Keith Eickert Power Products cast exhaust headers/manifolds, particularly on Volvo Penta (or Innovation) close-cooled engines? I keep having problems with the manifolds on the right banks of my 600’s, and I am beginning to suspect that there is some sort of inherent cooling water flow problem at work here - it’s happened on both port and starboard engines, but always the right bank - never the left. My engines are in a 38 Formula for what that’s worth….

Dean Ferry 06-09-2003 11:55 AM

C_Spray,
I have KE's on my HP500 and 4 + years in salt water with no problems, (Sound of knocking on wood in back ground)! And I have noticed that my RH Header runs a little warmer than the LH Header. Is there anybody at Volvo, that you can talk to about this?
Good luck,
MD

C_Spray 06-09-2003 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Dean Ferry
... Is there anybody at Volvo, that you can talk to about this?...
Theres a lot of talking going on about this (especially since it's costing THEM money). It looks like the plumbing out of the heat exchanger is not allowing the water to the manifolds to flow evenly side-to-side. Just wondered if it was happening on other boats besides mine....

baja27 06-09-2003 01:08 PM

C Spray I cracked mine one the top of the elbow. It became clogged and over heated. Also one side did run a little hotter than the other.

Reindl Powerboats 06-09-2003 05:47 PM

No problems on our 600 in the New Reindl 28 Vamp.

C_Spray 06-09-2003 06:57 PM

600? 600?? You told me that thing had a 525 in it. I'm toast in the Kilo now..... :(

ChrisK 06-09-2003 08:32 PM

A friend of mine runs twin innovation(volvo) 600's in his scarab... Stellings headers though and no issues... I would call innovation directly and see if they have heard of this issue.

bob 06-09-2003 08:49 PM

For what it's worth, I have KE's on 825 blower app. and no problems. A friend has them on 1100's and no problems. But I am not closed cooling.

C_Spray 06-09-2003 08:53 PM

Bob - Is your boat at Tome's Landing? I'm in the dry stack there - all-white 38' Formula on the bottom rack in the East building.

R Addiction 06-09-2003 11:06 PM

I'll take this one Bob. Chuck, yes it is in the marina in front of the condos on a hydro hoist. BAD ASS boat, was fast as $hit last year with the other motors now its "Off the Hook!!!"