Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wisconsin DNR and the Sturgeon Bay Poker Run (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/52117-wisconsin-dnr-sturgeon-bay-poker-run.html)

Preferredstock 06-11-2003 06:46 AM

Wisconsin DNR and the Sturgeon Bay Poker Run

Sounds like the Wisconsin Dept. Of Natural Res. is at it again. I heard the organizers of the Sturgeon Bay Poker Run were told that they(DNR) will be testing every boat for noise at the boat launches. If you don't pass, you don't launch.
Has anyone else heard anything about this????
:mad: :mad: :mad:

rv 06-11-2003 07:17 AM

Not sure about at the poker run but we were up there for Memorial day weekend with some friends. We launched both boats and as I pulled away from the dock the DNR came down to checkout my friends boat out. DNR told him that they were in the process of getting noise measuring equipment along with training. The guy said that if he would have been there the next weekend he would have wrote him a ticket!

So it sounds like that could be a possiblity.

Rick

Sean 06-11-2003 07:42 AM

hey all you Sturgeon Bay guys...

There was a blue 24 Cigarette Firefox with a540 and #3 drive for sale up that way quite some time ago...does anyone know if it sold or where it may be???

hp500efi 06-11-2003 07:49 AM

Bill, maybe try contacting Mark Bentley at [email protected] and ask him what he knows. He is up in the Green Bay area and usually has his hands in that Poker Run.

MARK BENTLEY 06-11-2003 09:51 AM

Good morning guys and girls! Thank's for the e-mail Sean. It doesn't surprise me about the DNR. Basically they are out of control. They HATE go fast boats. I test a lot of them on the water up here. We have a constant battle going on. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on legal fees for their frivilous actions. Last week I got a ridiculus letter asking for voluntary help on the noise issue. At one time these guys were supposed to be there for a safety issue. Now with budget cuts etc. there are just a few guys with bad attitudes and a ton of jealosy. I could ramble here for hours and some of the stories could fill the system. Just for the record, I have been in the boat business here since 1984.

Caincando1 06-11-2003 12:10 PM

What a different world. The Wisconsin DNR is pretty much non existant on the Mississippi River. It's the MN law enforcement that you have to watch out for. And they are really only a slight problem in one area. Lucky for us they leave us alone in our area.

Brian

Caincando1 06-13-2003 03:11 PM

Run the Red Wing gauntlet Brian!
Doesn't worry me a bit. My little puddle jumper is quiet. It's all those big loud boats I run with...or should I say run behind.:D

Do they bother you?