Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Nine People Die on charter boat, Flipped over! >

Nine People Die on charter boat, Flipped over!

Notices

Nine People Die on charter boat, Flipped over!

Old 06-14-2003, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Nine People Die on charter boat, Flipped over!

GARIBALDI, Ore. (June 14) - A large wave flipped over a charter fishing boat carrying 19 people off the central Oregon coast Saturday, killing at least nine, the Coast Guard said.

Two people were missing more than four hours after the capsizing. Rescuers searched near a long, rocky jetty at the mouth of Tillamook Bay, an area known for high waves and swirling currents.

Eight survivors - a female and seven males ages 13 to 48 - were brought to Tillamook County General Hospital suffering from hypothermia and needing oxygen because of near drowning; all but one was released, hospital officials said.

``They hit a wave wrong and the boat capsized, that's what I was told,'' nursing supervisor Heather Scovell said. ``They're cold, in shock.''

Those treated included members of a family, Scovell said.

The 32-foot Taki Tooo capsized in 15-foot breaking surf as it sailed out of the bay past a 1,000-yard jetty shortly after 7 a.m., said Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Paul Painter.

The boat's owner, Mike Buell, watched from shore as it sank about three miles from its home port.

``A large wave hit the side of the Taki Tooo and it capsized, just swamped,'' said Buell, who runs Garibaldi Charters, a sport fishing company.

The boat flipped so quickly that the passengers probably didn't have time to jump clear, Buell said in a telephone interview.

Buell said he considered the captain, Douglas Davis, an experienced skipper.

The Coast Guard sent three helicopters and two lifeboats to the mouth of the bay, 60 miles west of Portland, to search for survivors, said Coast Guard Cmdr. Patrick Brennan.

By midmorning, one body pulled from the water had been brought to the Tillamook Coast Guard station and eight others lay on the beach at Barview State Park just north of Tillamook Bay, Painter said. The wreckage of the boat washed ashore along the jetty.

The area, known as the Tillamook Bay Bar, is treacherous, with high waves and swirling currents, Painter said. An excursion boat capsized there last summer, but nobody was killed, he said.

Jeff Folkeme, owner of the Garibaldi Marina, a setting-off point for pleasure boat excursions, said he saw the Taki Tooo sailing past his dockside office Saturday morning.

``Everybody was all happy and jolly. They were going to go fishing,'' he said. ``It was a normal day.''

The search for the two missing people continued Saturday afternoon. With 50-degree water, Brennan said, the longest anyone could likely survive in that part of the ocean would be four to eight hours.

06/14/03 18:22 EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:40 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what the hell were they doing in 15 foot breakers in a 32' boat???
Old 06-14-2003, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally posted by puder
what the hell were they doing in 15 foot breakers in a 32' boat???
Thats what I was wondering.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

What about 19 people on a 32' boat? We went on a charter last summer, it was a 28' boat, we were alowed only 5 passengers and there was 2 crew.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I heard not everyone was wear PFD's and some kids actualy washed ashore alive wearing theirs!
Old 06-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Registered

After reading about the horrible accident here on OSO I went downstairs and watched in on tv. Anyone going out in that water is absolutely STUPID! 47 ft Coast Guard Rescue Boats were nearly going over let alone a 30 foot boat with 19 people!
Old 06-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My brother was in the CG and he was trained out in them exact waters on how to drive the CG boat that actualy flips over and barrel rolls back upright again in them waters. Sad story
Old 06-15-2003, 03:29 PM
Registered

I don't consider 15 foot breakers in this boat a good day of fishing...
Attached Thumbnails Nine People Die on charter boat, Flipped over!-takitooo.jpg  
Old 06-16-2003, 12:14 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

15' would stand that thing on its transom i'm suprised they didn;t back flip.

sad story but they were askign for it going out in those conditions.

thats like cleaning a loaded rifle and wondering why you got shot.