Notices

Portable Air Conditioning

Old 06-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portable Air Conditioning

I looked over the archives, but I thought I would ask the question agian. What are the better portable AC units out there and what are the average prices? Already getting hot here in Texas.

I have briefly looked at the crusin air hatch units, but have not looked at the suitcase ones. Some people on my docks have rigged their own using small window units and home made shrouds.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2003, 05:38 PM
Registered

AC? we are lucky to get above 60deg on the lake right now up here.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Registered

We already started with the first 100 degree day last week. Not normal for this time of year, but if it is already doing now, July and August are going to be killers.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:58 PM
Registered

We have used a small window unit in the doorway.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Registered

Did you create some type of a shroud to cover the exposed area around the doorway?
Old 06-04-2003, 06:51 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Go to CONN's and check out the window units. I had one that had a handle on top to carry with and set it in the doorway and dropped the cockpit cover down on it. The unit put out 6000 B.T.U. and only cost about $250...I think I got it on sale for $199 0r $209 now that I think about it. The water just went in the cockpit of the Thunder and with Texas heat just evaporated. If it was real humid it would run to the drains and into the bilge. You would need lots of blankets and the deck hatch open because you could hang meat after about 20 minutes!!
Old 06-04-2003, 07:50 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a Cruise-Air unit. VERY quiet and you can hang meat in the cabin of my Formula. The PIA part is hoisting it over the windshield
On the plus side again you can use it on the trailer in the driveway if you're working on something. No need for water like the suitcase style. But the suitcase style is easier to handle and store and can also be built in if you so desire
Old 06-05-2003, 06:42 AM
Preferredstock

I use the CruiseAir unit also, Keeps things very comfortable (cold for the wife) in the cabin. But it is a pain to store on the boat when running. Usually stick it under the wife's bolster.

Bill

Old 06-06-2003, 08:18 PM
wetpleasure

I built my own ac unit that can run on your batterys so you can be chillen on the beach away from the dock. I will post pictures latter. I took a 30 quart cooler and installed a 12 volt fan and coil condenser then piped a small bilge pump inside to pump water through the coil. I would fill the cooler full of ice when i went out for the day then when it was time to crash i would have about a inch or two of water in the bottom and it would be enough pump though the coil. I would run out of ice in about 7 hour, it would have lasted longer if it was block ice. It did not use a lot of battery power either.

Old 06-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Registered

Originally posted by wetpleasure
I built my own ac unit that can run on your batterys so you can be chillen on the beach away from the dock. I will post pictures latter. I took a 30 quart cooler and installed a 12 volt fan and coil condenser then piped a small bilge pump inside to pump water through the coil. I would fill the cooler full of ice when i went out for the day then when it was time to crash i would have about a inch or two of water in the bottom and it would be enough pump though the coil. I would run out of ice in about 7 hour, it would have lasted longer if it was block ice. It did not use a lot of battery power either.
I would be interested in see some pictures of that. Would be nice to have something that will work away from the dock as well.

Thanks,

ST31

Quick Reply: Portable Air Conditioning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.