Notices

24' Boats?

Old 06-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I would have to agree with Tom that if 4 footers are the norm for JJH he should be looking for a bigger boat. True 4 footers are not easily handled by 24 foot boats. Maybe rolling waves but not confused chop.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Tom
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Fever Mike
Since the bat boats wings do not have rub rails don't they get beat up at the docks? They would boating in my area.
Mike
If I am too lazy to put out the bumper it is like a magnet and finds the bolt on the dock or whatever is there to chip the boat, but with bumpers it works fine. If I pull into a U shaped dock I just tie up to both sides so it can't hit anywhere. The real issues for me is it takes a shoehorn to get in at 6 foot tall and visibility sucks. My boat is impractical for everything but the ultimate ride, but it gets me rides on anything I want I also take just about anyone who asks for a ride in mine.

On 4th of July I am hanging out with a friend with a 28 Pantera. I have not had a chance to run with a 28 and should be interesting if the ocean is rough. The ride I want is in Pantera 24-650HP's boat. Now there is the perfect 24 in my book. Well I also want to go on Nort's boat just to see the women he gets under that bimini top
Old 06-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tom
Well I also want to go on Nort's boat just to see the women he gets under that bimini top
Ain't that a shame, bimini on a performance boat??
Old 06-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally posted by Tom
The 28 batboat has normal seating and even a small cabin, but the 24 is strictly a 2 seater with canopy. The wings are really no issue around the docks, but like I said, I think he should get a Pantera. I only brought up batboat and skater as a counter to the claim about Superboat being the best handling 24, not as a viable option or in the price range. I agree that superboat would be a great option too, but pantera is local and that means a lot in terms of maintenance to me at least. While I don't totally agree with the baja bashers the other two are arguably better boats in many ways; style, performance, construction, reputation, etc. I had a friend with a 24? velocity and it was a great boat too.

The request for handling 4 foot chop easily is a red flag for me though. That leads me to think 6 foot kinda well and 8 foot OK at speed. You can die in those waves in a normal 24 (or even a bigger boat) and should be looking at a 28 if planning to run in big water regularly. Easily to me means full throttle and no worries about the waves, which even in my batboat is leaving the easy range in 4 footers. Yes the boats listed can handle it, but 4 - 6 footers are at the top of the performance range, not "easy" for them. 75 in 4 footers in a 24 foot boat is a wild thrill ride and the passengers are hanging on for their lives.
tom , i'm not bashing baja, i'm speaking from experience.

what would you think about your batboat if you removed the lag bolt holding your motor mount in and found a piece of plastic conduit used to tighten up a stipped or incorrectly drilled hole.

but then any serious performance boat would never use lag bolts, correct?
Old 06-15-2003, 09:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I own a 28 Pantera its the only way in rough water Joe at Pantera will treat you like family . Im very greatful he has several 24s at the plant I seen them a couple used with some serious hardware however if a 28 is in your budget you wont like a 24 it wont handle 4ft at any speed promise you good friend has one ride in it reguraly wont run in 4s its a death ride one drawback is pantera is narrow in the 24 I would look at the velocity in a 24 /pantera in a 28 my 28 will eat a velocity in rough water cause 28 v is 26 keep looking ..
Old 06-15-2003, 10:24 PM
JJH
Registered

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I really appreciate them. I really don't want a cat, its not my style really. I'm more looking for a v hull. I've pretty much narrowed down to pantera, superboat, sunsation, P&D(if there's any), and carrera. I'll just be looking for whichever pops up and the condition that its in. I've come to figure that they are all very similar and can handle my needs. I'm set on a 24, i really don't want bigger.

Also, let me clarify, i said 4 footers b/c i want to be able to go out of Govt. Cut(the channel for the port of miami), without much concern. I have a little mako right now, and the waves get REAL big in Govt Cut sometimes. Its not like it is the norm for 4'+ seas down here, but i want the boat to handle it if necessary.

Again, thanks for all the help. I'll start keeping my eye out for a nice one, i'm really not in a huge hurry anyways. Thanks again!

JJ

Last edited by JJH; 06-15-2003 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Tom
Registered

Originally posted by B-Stubb
I own a 28 Pantera its the only way in rough water Joe at Pantera will treat you like family . Im very greatful he has several 24s at the plant I seen them a couple used with some serious hardware however if a 28 is in your budget you wont like a 24 it wont handle 4ft at any speed promise you good friend has one ride in it reguraly wont run in 4s its a death ride one drawback is pantera is narrow in the 24 I would look at the velocity in a 24 /pantera in a 28 my 28 will eat a velocity in rough water cause 28 v is 26 keep looking ..
I was hoping someone else would mention the red flag about running 4 footers easily. If a Pantera owner with direct experience thinks not, and everyone thinks the Pantera is best handling of the 24's in rough water, then maybe we should be talking about the dangers and what is realistic to expect. Leaving batboats out of it for many other practical and financial reasons, are there any other 24 foot boats that will handle 4 footers easily and safely? I agree with B-Stubb - get a 28 if you can and even then be careful with rough water. I get nervous every time I read "handle a 4' chop easily at the very least."

Saber,
I didn't mean to call you a baja basher, sorry. My brother in law is in the hospital for cancer and I might be coming out your way sometime in the next several weeks. A ride in your Saber would sure be great! You are still welcome to come out here any time for a ride in the pacific with me.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:37 PM
JJH
Registered

Originally posted by Tom
I I get nervous every time I read "handle a 4' chop easily at the very least."

I explained what I meant in my previous post. Sorry for being so obscure, didn't mean to do that. And i'm not talking about going too fast in that type of chop either. I've been out there fishing when a storm rolls in and we have to fight the 6-8's on the way back, its not fun.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:55 PM
Tom
Registered

Originally posted by JJH
I explained what I meant in my previous post. Sorry for being so obscure, didn't mean to do that. And i'm not talking about going too fast in that type of chop either. I've been out there fishing when a storm rolls in and we have to fight the 6-8's on the way back, its not fun.
Sorry, we both posted at the same time and yours came before mine. With yur explaination of what you mean then the pantera or other boats you are looking at are fine. I'm one of those crazies who would just run full throttle (or close to it) back and forth in Govt. Cut (assuming it is big enough to do that in) if the waves in the ocean are not big enough. Anything less than 4 footers is boring to me, so I guess I have a twisted view of "handle 4 footers."

Please post pictures when you get one and if it is a project we love to see progress pictures.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

tom,

my baja was one of the most inadequately constructed boats i have seen. there was no way a boat capable of almost 70 mph should be built like this. i hope the baja owners on this board do not take any of my comments personally, it is not meant that way

are the new ones better? i don't really know.

hope your b-in-law does ok , my sister just got through with breast cancer about a year ago.

Quick Reply: 24' Boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.