Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sticker shock on new stereo for the boat... >

Sticker shock on new stereo for the boat...

Notices

Old 06-16-2003, 08:20 PM
mlitefan

OK...After pricing a new stereo for my boat, I am rethinking the option of doing the work myself.

Looking for suggestions on what to put in...

I looked at 4 6.5 Boston Accustics, 2 12 inch subs (with boxes) a 700 watt 4 channel Rockford Fosgate amp and an Alpine XM deck (going with XM)....grand total, $2500.00 turn key. It was $3200.00 with a second amp for the subs…OUCH!

Help!!!

Old 06-16-2003, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That isnt all that bad....But then again you did not mention what bostons you were going to use, or what kinda subs.....or if it was installed..
Old 06-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default call

Call Andy Buzz (OSO Member) tell him Maximus sent you. This guy sells 5mm dollars worth of car/boat stereo equipment a year through his store . NO ONE can touch his prices. And if you let him make a little money he'll help you fix/replace your stereo when some dumb drunk chick spills her drink on it.

Give him a call

Andy
813-227-9779

Maximus
Old 06-16-2003, 08:50 PM
mlitefan

Chris...It is installed price and I can't remeber the exact model of Bostons...I kind of glazed over after getting the price. I have no doubt it will be a kick ass system but I didn't budget for that much.

Maximus...LMAO at your post ...Thanks for the tip and I will give him a call...

Old 06-17-2003, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy Buzz is a great source, Forest has helped me in the past also "FWK" on the board, by the way 2500 is not too bad, but an additional $700 for a amp on the subs is a little much????

WILL
Old 06-17-2003, 07:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 190 Likes on 41 Posts

I would go with the Boston Pro's have them in my boat and
they sound kick !!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 07:29 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

700 bucks for the additional amp could be a bit much but we have no idea what the parts are and that does include installation and wire so.................. maybe actually 550 or so for the amp?

Most improtant thing to remember hear is the quality of the install. Do you want some bozzo doing the install that will not use stainless screws and such doing the wire up? You have to watch these guys and make sure that they do not do more harm then good as most of them do not know boats at all.

You can definatly do this for cheaper then what you have up there, or you can spend a LOT more.

Andy is a great source for this stuff that is for sure. Give him a call and talk to him. I will offer you any advice that I can but the only stuff I am selling at this time do to the fact that I am so bussy is the systems that I am installing. I have found it to hard to fallow up properly with shipping and what not This will likely change in the future but I really want to be able to give my customers service that is a little above and beyond.

Jon
Old 06-17-2003, 10:30 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy your partys off ebay and install them yourself!!!

i founda guy that has like 30 pairs of JBL marine 6" speaker (180w) they are all brand new and he is sellign them for like $65 a pair.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:46 AM
mlitefan

Thanks everyone...I am getting a real education on this, for sure.

It has been some time since I looked into the high end equipment and I see where I could easily spend 3~5x the amount I am complaining about.

I guess I am looking at this from the standpoint that 3 grand is half of my pro charger for next year!!!

I appreciate all the input.

Old 06-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wellllll

If you wanna ROCK you gotta pay. If your installers good he'll also know how to tune the system before he leaves. that takes a good hour or so. My suggestion is to have him back things down to a point so that no one (your really drunk best friend) can blow things up when they are trying to impress the drunk dumb chick thats about to spill her drink on your new $5000 sound system.

That way the next morning you dont have that "oh f*&k" what did i do feeling.

Thru bolt everything!
It WILL get wet!
****ty speakers wont last!
Can you read the stereo display in sunlight?
Do you have to reset everthing when power is shut off...gets a little old on complicated systems!

Good Luck!

Maximus

Quick Reply: Sticker shock on new stereo for the boat...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.