Notices

Did Merk Ditch Llc??????

Old 06-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So - After reading through all these posts, here's the question:

Is it really any kind of loss to the LLC?
Old 06-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why can't the people that like the llc , take off your blinders and opean you damn eyes ! and see what is going on , they have pissed of skater, fountain and now merc . how meny people do they have to make mad befour you wake the hell up. somthing is wroung there
Old 06-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that it? OR, is it just a sad fact that all the above have had things their way for so long, that now that they are forced to play by equal rules and they are threatening to take their bucket & shovel and go find another sandbox to take over?
Maybe the old days of playing favorites is over...
And, as far as I'm concerned, (as well as a BUNCH of other racers), telling King Reggie that he wasn't God, and if he didn't want to play fair then hit the road was the BEST move APBA Offshore could have possibly made.

Last edited by Gordo; 06-18-2003 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gordo, I'll agree on the King Reggie deal. But, things are a bit shady. From a fans stand-point, things are getting a little crazy. I'm curious to see how things shake-out.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

F1F - I won't for a minute pretend that I or anyone else could possibly stop your incessant anti-LLC tirades, but tell me this: If everyone should abandon LLC, where should they go? Don't for a minute pretend it's SBI; the cheating scandal and resultant bloodbath over there last year pretty much ruined their reputation as an organization interested in strict rules enforcement and fair play. To refresh your memory, go back and really read this thread:SBI's record. The absolute #1 priority for any real race team is to win fair and square. If the teams can't depend on the sanctioning body to enforce the rules, then who will?

Gordo's right - by all appearances, Fountain left to SBI because they rules were being strictly enforced and penalties were being levied. But look - people still race Fountain boats in APBA.

The Skater situation seems to be much lower key. Clearly there were some misunderstandings between Skater and APBA, but both sides will put that behind them and move on. That's what professionals do. They get over it and move on.

The Mercury situation seems to be more about contractual commitments of which I know nothing, so I can't shed much light on that, but - so what if they left? All the Bravos out there are Mercury Marine products. The only Mercury Racing products being used in APBA were HP500's and 525's of various configurations, and some #6 drives - all 20-to-40-year-old technology.

All the naysayers complained when the LLC signed the exclusive rights to Super Class drives to Mercury, and now the same naysayers are complaining when Mercury leaves. There's simply no pleasing some people because they don't want to be pleased.

Bottom line: Sanctioning bodies should never bow to sponsors or suppliers who have a vested interest in the competition. That's why NASCAR doesn't call their #1 show the Chevrolet (or Dodge) Cup series. Every sanctioning body in existence has had to deal with upset competitors - it's all part of making sure the inmates don't run the asylum.

With all due respect, it seems you're the one wearing blinders

Last edited by C_Spray; 06-18-2003 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C_Spray, I understand where you're coming from. But, the APBA's title sponsor IS involved in the building of engines for some classes. I would like to see the title sponsor only be just that. A Title Sponsor.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:00 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

That's the point. By getting away from vested interest sponsors and over to companies like WINSTON who don't make any parts for boats, the sponsors won't care who's parts the racers buy.

It's a little too inbred right now.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:56 AM
Registered

Thumbs up As ALWAYS...

Well said Chuck!
Old 06-19-2003, 08:02 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Shane B
So does this mean there will be no cotingence money from merc?
There was never any "money" from Mercury Racing, it was coupons that allowed you to trade for Merc product only.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:09 AM
Registered

Guys, honestly.

Did anyone truly believe that Merc would continue its sponsorship deal after the LLC had signed-up Merc‘s arch nemesis GM (Vortec) as the main sponsor?

Nothing riles a manufacturer more than when a supplier, on which you are completely dependent, suddenly competes with you in the marketplace. It drives them nuts.

Merc had made noises about not continuing the deal months ago. It’s probably a mere coincidence that the Michigan/Florida soap opera also began around the same time.

The cancellation doesn’t come as a surprise. It would have been a surprise would they have continued.

How will it affect the sport? Check out the Racers Milling Area. The racers are unfazed. The only thing that seems to worry them is if the Merc truck with its parts supply wouldn’t be available at the races. After Merc and the LLC had promised that the truck will keep on truckin’, the racers focussed on more pressing matters.

And Gordo, the coupons are still available. The contingency program continues. What stops is the business relationship between Merc and the LLC. After the LLC had hopped in bed with GM, only fools nursed fantasies about a menage au trois.

Quick Reply: Did Merk Ditch Llc??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.