Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Motor is running backwards after shut off? >

Motor is running backwards after shut off?

Notices

Motor is running backwards after shut off?

Old 06-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As many others have said, it definately sounds like run-on or dieseling.

Bad fuel, with a degraded lower octane can cause this; low octane will cause the fuel to light off(detonate) prematurely, often times just the temp of the combustion chamber along with high compression will be enough.

Also, carbon build-ups will leave large enough deposits on occasion, and will glow red hot within a combustion chamber; this can mimick a glow-plug and will continue to light off the fuel after the spark is eliminated.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Baja Daze
As many others have said, it definately sounds like run-on or dieseling.

Bad fuel, with a degraded lower octane can cause this; low octane will cause the fuel to light off(detonate) prematurely, often times just the temp of the combustion chamber along with high compression will be enough.

Also, carbon build-ups will leave large enough deposits on occasion, and will glow red hot within a combustion chamber; this can mimick a glow-plug and will continue to light off the fuel after the spark is eliminated.
My thoughts exactly. Check your plugs, timing and fuel. Remember, running super high octane fuel is not beneficial if the compression is not high enough. In fact it is worse. Run what is recommended. GOod luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

If it starts to diesel, just give it some gas and it should quit. The gas will help cool the hot spot.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Registered

Go to the marine store and buy Carbon Buster for 8$ a bottle.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Registered

check you idle

if its idling to high it can cause this problem

also low octane gas or carbon build up

cardoctor
Old 06-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Mad Hatter

Originally posted by Gary Anderson

Check it all out. If it's dieseling at shutdown, it's probably detonating under load too.
Gary
Yuck, I hope not. The idle when not in gear is at 900rpms, the spark timing hasn't been touched since I've owned it (wouldn't be a bad idea to check), and the carbon build up is a possibility cuase I was having problems with loading up and fouling out plugs for a while. I think I got that cleared up though.

Old 06-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

My 1999 HP500 will diesel every once in a great while. I run 87 octane, idle is @ 750-800 RPMS and I don't have a plug fouling problem either? Spark advance is 32 Degs. I wonder what is causing this also?
MD
Old 06-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fuel might be 87 when you bought it, but if it sits long, it can degrade.

Heat Soak could also be a culprit...The engine's simply hot enough to detonate volitile fuel. This can occurr after hard runs, and shutting off the motor too quickly.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:41 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would check idle speed first (to High), then Ignition timing. i find it hard to beleive there would be any carbon build up, unless you don't run her!!! HP500.........I'd run her!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Mad Hatter

I wasn't running hard at all, and I was running 89 octane. I've never run less than 89 and I've run at least a tank of gas through since the winter tank. Water temp was good. I hoping I just bought some bad gas. I'm gonna check the timing anyway though. I think the cap and rotor are original (1995) as far as I can tell, if that would make a difference. My idle is at 900 to 950rpm's.

Quick Reply: Motor is running backwards after shut off?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.