Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How Old do you have to be to drive a boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/52776-how-old-do-you-have-drive-boat.html)

R Addiction 06-19-2003 09:44 PM

How Old do you have to be to drive a boat?

The wife and I took my daughter out today for a boat ride. On the way back to the marina I stopped and let her drive the last few miles................she did GREAT. Ran it up to about 60mph before I noticed her hands tensed on the wheel. She is 11 years old and had a blast bringing it in. (I docked the boat of course) I'm damn proud of her. Taught her the proper way to tie off a cleat and to always wear the lanyard!!! A good day for me!!!!:D

Stormrider 06-19-2003 09:51 PM

I was driving a boat at that age, of course not at that speed.
So, I've got no problem with it, as long as she handles the speed responsibly and respects the water.

Ted G 06-19-2003 11:04 PM

My oldest passed the Maryland Boating Course at 10 and holds an operator's permit. Get your daughter to take the course and maybe take it with her-she will likely learn a lot and be more relaxed, just don't leave the keys lying around:D

mcollinstn 06-19-2003 11:22 PM

My 12 yr old boy can bring the diesel cruiser into the docks, spin it on its axis, and back it into the slip.

My 10-yr old girl can do it, too, with step-by-step instruction.

Mad Hatter 06-19-2003 11:42 PM

In MI you have to be 15 or 16. I was boating from the day I was born. Jet Skiing at the age of 5.

ThirdBird 06-20-2003 06:14 AM

I think its great to start them out young, with your full oversight of course. My kids started at about ten years old. Had both of them take the safety course at 14 years old. I took the course over again when my oldest daughter took it (lost my certificate from 300 years ago!!). I took the course over again to get the ten percent off my insurance.

Anyway, Jessie ended up getting a better score on the test than I did!!!!!:eek: She got a 96% and I got like 92 or 94%. I argued a few questions and the instructor told me to take a hike. He said"your daughter beat you fair and square, no go sit down":D

I was pretty proud of her. She and her boy friend have bought a used 17' outboard together. She loves the boat and the freedom of cruising whenever she wants to. She still likes driving our "big one" better though. She looks pretty good when she takes our 311 out by herself. She likes those throttle handles though;) .

Keep the kids at the helm, watch them closely and have a good time. It brings you and them together:cool:

R Addiction 06-20-2003 06:30 AM

Originally posted by ThirdBird
Keep the kids at the helm, watch them closely and have a good time. It brings you and them together:cool: [/B]
That it does:D

BAJA WILL 06-20-2003 06:31 AM

Here in VA, any age can drive a boat, however you need to be 16 or take a boating course at 14-15 to drive a PWC:rolleyes:

WILL

R Addiction 06-20-2003 09:39 AM

I'm breakin her in for a long run down to Kent Narrows!! For now the water has to be flat and not busy!!!;)

BLee 06-20-2003 09:57 AM

I started driving boats when I was around 6-7 with dad in the boat and docking, obviously. I was hooked and never stopped. When I was 12 my dad bought a 311 Formula and gave me the F-206 Formula to drive. I could go out by myself the first summer but I wasn't allowed to leave his sight. After earning the responsibility that year, I was free to run!

That was a long time ago. Now I think they require a drivers license.