Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   St. Clair Michigan June 24, Unlimited Hydros (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/52822-st-clair-michigan-june-24-unlimited-hydros.html)

SteveDavid 06-20-2003 02:53 PM

St. Clair Michigan June 24, Unlimited Hydros

Hi Friends,

If you're going to be near St. Clair, Michigan next Tuesday 6/24, stop by and visit. We'll be joining three other Unlimited Hydros for a demonstration event in preparation for a full Unlimited race in 2004. We'll be hitting the water at 11 AM and twice more until 3 PM. The pits are across from the St. Clair Inn on the river.

Joining our boat will be the Bud U-1, Emcor U-10 and Mike Hanson in the U-9. This will be a relaxed and casual time to get up close and personal with Unlimited Hydroplanes, our running gear and the folks that build and maintain them.

If you have children, please bring them by and we'll be pleased to get them in the cockpit for pictures.

Look forward to meeting you.

Steve David
U-6 O Boy! O Berto/Miss Madison

dockrocker 06-20-2003 02:56 PM

Steve,

Is this event going to take the place of the Detroit Gold Cup in coming years? I've heard a number of rumors - none good - regarding the Gold Cup on the Detroit River. Do you have any information? That race is what got me into performance boats... :(

SteveDavid 06-20-2003 03:04 PM

Hi Dockrocker,

The St. Clair event will be in addition to the Gold Cup in Detroit.
Based on the fan turnout at the Gold Cup there is a large enough and loyal fan base for two events in the general market area.

While the Gold Cup had it's problems this year in terms of prior debt and personnel, it appears as though those are behind them. The volunteer base that staffed the event are an awesome group of dedicated folks and they and the new organizers have set the Detroit Gold Cup for August 22-24. Looks like Chrysler is back and the City of Detroit and the Mayor are committed to bringing it back.

We certainly appreciate your support and glad the Hydros got you hooked :)

Thanks!

Steve

gdfatha 06-20-2003 03:08 PM

Dock~
Detroit, this or any other year is still undetermined. The entire situation is sad.

There are so many rumors going around that my advice for ....facts..is at the following link..

http://www.hydroprop.com/

There is another website (powerboat) that is 99.9 % Unlimited hydro news but 99.9% is speculation. The official word comes from
the above link.

I share your concern I have been going to their races since 64. The entire boating situation is one sad story after another.:( :( :(

sre 06-20-2003 04:48 PM

Hey Steve,

How have you been?

I may try to get out with my bro's and stop by. Maybe I will bring my boat (I think I owe your crew a ride). If not, I will definetly see you at the Gold Cup.

Take care,

Paul Smith

SteveDavid 06-20-2003 11:01 PM

Hi Paul,

Our guys (and me) would definitely enjoy a ride in your Cat. Hope you can make it to St Clair. If not, we'll see you at the Gold Cup, same deal with the passes as last year.

Be well,

Steve

Bajagus 06-21-2003 07:16 AM

Steve,

I will see you there!!! What are your plans for Monday?? I hear there is a dinner/drinks thing at the St Clair Inn at 6:00. I may show up at that , but???
One of my good bud's is the race control guy, so I get to be the lead patrol boat. I guess I will get a good view of the action!!!! If you need anything around town, give me a call, and I will try to hook you up.

Scott
810-278-0754

H2Xmark 06-21-2003 07:31 AM

I was wondering why they dont have some of the unlimited races down south, bet you would get a great turnout, its hard for me to make it to the races up north, would love to go, but so far have just hit the local stuff[apba, corpus]

SteveDavid 06-21-2003 07:52 AM

Scott, Too Old, H2X,

Scott, I get in later Monday evening. I understand we also have a dinner Tuesday evening at the St Clair Inn for volunteers, media, drivers etc. Hope you can make that one. I'd like to personally thank you for your support of this event. Without you, this demonstration event could not happen.

Too Old and H2x, I'm with you! I sure wish we had more Southern events. In the past decade we had races in Miami, Houston and Dallas. Miami ended when the Hurricane damaged the stadium and the City of Miami didn't re-open the facility. Dallas was a great site but the sponsoring family that owned Sneaky Petes sold "Pete's" and the primary leader for the event moved to San Francisco. I wish I could remember their names because they were genuinely fine people. That site in Lewisville meant alot as it was my first Unlimited win and my first time teaming up with Tim Ramsey as our Crew Chief.

Houston was a good event on Clear Lake, last race there was 1989. Economy was slow in reviving in that area and the promoters fell short. They were good folks, paid all their bills, just couldn't bring it together for a follow up.

Next year I think we're going to be racing in the south, but real south, as in Mexico! According to Bart Garbrecht there's a good chance of that coming off. Other sites in the better than 50/50 chance, are Sanford, Fl, Owensboro, KY and Toronto, ON.
All of these except Sanford previously held Unlimited events.

Thank you again for your interest. This is a great sport and I'm so blessed to be part of it and share it with others.

Take care,

Steve

sre 06-23-2003 11:06 AM

Hi Steve,

Tomorrow maybe difficult. I may just shoot out real quick, but if not I will see you in Detroit.

My cell ended up in the river yesterday so I no longer have your number. Send me an e-mail when you have a chance so I can be sure to hook up with ya in August.

Good luck with the demo tomorrow!

Paul