Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick) >

Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick)

Notices

Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick)

Old 07-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts

I will make this short. I too run switchable exhaust. I also live second house off the main channel. If you have mufflers or silent choice, use it at night or when you pull in to a small cove. Don't power tune your engine in a residential area with the exhaust open. Idle in near docks and anchored boats. Common curtiousy will be more favorable to your neighbors than being an a**. Remember that they live there and have paid a lot of money to live on the water. How would you like it if someone backed their twin big block up your driveway with open exhaust and decided to check their 5000 RPM timing mark. At 3:00 in the morning?? Over time folks get tired of the noise, the wake damage to their property and the disorderly conduct and the fight back with the law and we as boaters loose. Property owners will win every time in this senario. Heck, the judge probably lives in one of those neigborhoods.

Last edited by Helmwurst; 07-07-2003 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:59 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mrp
Here is the reply I got from the DNR.

Thank you for your comments. I can assure you that the Department is not
harassing any group of boaters. We are however responsible for enforcing
the state boating laws and take that responsibility seriously and will
continue to enforce the laws adopted by the state legislature.

The motorboat noise regulations are not new and have been enforced in the
state for a number of years. Wisconsin's law are also similar to the
national standards adopted by most of the other states in the country.

We have experienced a large increase in the number of citizen complaints
concerning loud boats the last few years and some of the increased
enforcement you mention is a direct result of citizen groups purchasing the
expensive sound testing equipment and donating it to the Department to use.

If you contact your boat dealer I'm sure that he can recommend a muffler
that can be installed on your boat to bring it into compliance with the
state laws. The engine manufactures have assured us that mufflers are
available for all engines that will quiet them to the state and national
standards without causing damage to their engines or affecting their
performance.

John Lacenski
Boating Law Administrator
Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources
101 S. Webster St.
Madison, WI 53707
(608)264-8970
[email protected]

MRP-Can you e-mail him back and ask for a list of groups that have donated the testing equipment? Be sure to get their contact info!
Old 07-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Registered

Get a copy of the ordinance, read it several times, analyze the circumstances of your particular violation, and FIGHT EACH AND EVERY TICKET IN COURT. Join a local club as well. The legality of these tickets are questionable, at best.

"Those who would give up a little bit of their freedom for a little more security deserve neither"

Regards,

Mark S.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Registered

Question

A bunch of us from the twin cities are planning on coming to the Milwaukee area for the apba races in august. What kind of problems should we expect during that weekend event?? I believe we are slipping our boats up river somewhere in town.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:34 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

There are some slips up the river. They arn't the nicest ones out there though. The nicest slips are in either McKinley or South Shore. Both harbors are directly inside of the breakwall so you should be ok. If you have to go up river, you will get a ticket. There won't be room or time to turn around and run. By the time you see him he'll have you.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Registered

Question slips

cord, I was wondering if you could get me some phone numbers to some decent marinas for slipping our group. we're bringing abput 15 boats. the place we have now is in the city park i guess. I find it hard to believe they will be handing out tickets that weekend with poker runs of america having their pokerrun and with the races etc.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Garshev,

They ARE NOT giving out tickets that week-end for noise. I spoke with the DNR this morning in Madison. And by the way, I have a slip in the River and it is pretty dang nice. Cord, you are taking stupid. South shore marina has shallow ramps. You cannot launch big boats there. Your trailor will fall off the ramp. Mickinley is O.K., has good long ramps. The slips are fair, nothing special but adequate.
Please call me with any questions, I will help you in any way I can.

Little Tommy cell # 1-414-349-8567
Old 07-09-2003, 06:11 AM
Registered

Garshev, if your slips are in Mckinley Marina that is where you want to be. It will put you walking distance from where they are staging the races. The center and south section of the Marina have remodeled shower and bathroom facilities. all three sections have floating docks.

McKinley PH 414 273 5224

Are you guys running the pokerrun or just hanging out for the races?
Old 07-09-2003, 08:07 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Tommy-bite me. I never mentioned anything about ramps. If I had, the only one that I would recommend is McKinley. And if you are slipping on the river then you should know that there are some real nice slips and some really crappy ones. How would I know which ones garshev rented? Thats why I said South Shore or McKinley. Their slips arn't perfect but they will definetly work.

garshev-you mentioned the city park. That would suggest McKinley http://www.countyparks.com/aquatics/marina.html (414-273-5224) because it's surrounded by a park. Some people complain that the piers are too high, but they are solid and the facilities are nice. There are showers available too. I think that it would be an excellent choice. There is a Skipper Bud's (414-482-0900), but it's way off in a canal and I can't recall any slips being available. Harborside (414-273-0711) is just in the river. Really good access. There is a small public ramp right next to it, but the only parking is a couple of blocks away on the street. I can't comment on the availability or quality of slips. South Shore http://www.ssyc.org/_site02/default.asp (414-481-2331) is also a really nice marina. I havn't been able to tour their facilities so I can't really comment on them
Old 07-09-2003, 08:22 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I nearly forgot...I went out and bought a db meter last night. Went around the house measuring different sound levels. My diesel truck at idle is putting out 91db. My new overhead valve push lawnmower is at 90db. 86db is going to be really, really tough to meet. I'll do some more testing to help give you guys a feel for what 86db is.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.