Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53014-wisconsin-noise-laws-per-mr-dick.html)

Little Tommy 06-23-2003 10:00 PM

Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick)

You think your noise laws are bad? This is the heartland of Mercury performance and testing area up in Fond-u-lac area.
I too have had problems with the DNR pulling me over for noise on Sunday. Total ****heads. Mr. DNR told us in no uncertain words " We do not want you kind of boates on our water. Our job will be done when you are no longer here" Can you friggin beleive this????? the DNR here think that they are above the almighty and certainly have the attitude to go along with it.
As boaters, we all need to form some kind of alliance to combat this serious problem. There will be no waterways to boat on if this is allowed to keep happening. There happened to be a poker run back a couple of weeks ago, and numerous boaters received tickets from the DNR for noise. Rumor has it they will be waiting at the Sturgeon bay run, waiting for the boats to be taken off the trailers and fired up. What the heck is happening here people?????
I guess the wonderful state of Wisconsin does not want me to spend any of my money here and does not give a flying ****.
Any ammunition that anyone has regarding this, please let me know. I am going to begin proceedings to try and get this resolved. Little Tommy

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-23-2003 10:53 PM

Ok, I am starting think the environmentalists have already jump started this crusade nation wide. Is it me? Or does it seem to be the year of the noise complaints?
Here is a message for the people of NJ:

Anyone that does boating in NJ with a powered vessel be it Outboard or Inboard should do their best to attend this next meeting. This meeting is being held at Bay Head Yacht Club, July 9th 10:00AM and I can assure you, every sailboater and environmentalist will be there. Rumor has it, that the next attack from these groups is about Noise Pollution. Whether you have a center console fishing boat, hi performance boat, or a cruiser, we all will be affected. They are already rallying their people to attend. So here I will do my part to inform the powerboat community of the coming meeting. Hopefully many can attend and we will see who's voices are the loudest ......
Use link below for further information...

jbrauer 06-24-2003 05:56 AM

The chariman of the Sturgeon Bay run, Jeff Tebon, said that a new state law was passed in WI. Maximum noise is 86db. I still don't have any idea how that is measured, but maybe a searc on the WI state website would help.

He said that the DNR has told him they will NOT be testing on the day of the S.B. Poker Run, but they WILL be testing the days before and after it.

Jeff runs a 42 Fountain and was installing mufflers this past weekend - guess that says it all

This sucks!! :mad: :mad:

lucy 06-24-2003 06:04 AM

little tommy for president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hp500efi 06-24-2003 06:17 AM

Current WI law states that:

Your boat MUST have mufflers AND maintain a db level not to exceed 86db. If they determine that you are running without mufflers, they do not even have to test you because you are already quilty.

I was stopped years ago and the DNR guy had a small briefcase full of goodies. First thing he asked me is "are you running mufflers", I was, the next thing he did was pulled out a db meter, PVC pipe and some fittings. He put the contraption together and measured my idle at <3' back> and <3'up> and took a reading. That was my last boat and it read 84db so he pushed away and said "have a good day".

What really gets me is the damn Harley's on the street. Damn near everyone out there is louder than any performance boat and everyone seems to praise them for being loud... go figure.

How to fight it?, I would bring up the Harley scenario and yell and scream at my Politicians. :mad:

Preferredstock 06-24-2003 07:07 AM

Jeff, I agree about the Harley issue. I heard the DNR wrote 100 tickets for noise yesterday in Winneconne. At $138 a crack it should not take long for them to get themselves a nice bonus.
They actually set up so that they could get there reading as the boats went by on plane at Duck Island.
There's a lot of people looking to make there boats quiet.

Bill

Steve_H 06-24-2003 07:39 AM

doesnt any of these law makers know loud boats save
lives too :(

if someone is coming up behind me i sure know it before my perifial (sp) vision does.

Cord 06-24-2003 07:50 AM

I was up on the river this past Sunday. When I was there, my dealer warned me that the DNR was busting every performance boat they came across. He stated that if I went up river that I would be stopped and cited. They apparently are now starting a crack down and that this is some sort of policy from a higher level. Wisconsin unfortinatly does not recognize a operable muffler-the system must be full time. This really sucks because the only solution is to have some sort of tumor hanging off the back of the boat. The good news is that CMI is comming out with a new muffler thats supposed to be effective AND affordable. Too bad it isn't pretty. :(

RonS 06-24-2003 08:13 AM

I was also one of the people that got a ticket, I was going to pay the ticket and say the hell with it, but what I think we should do is show up in court on Aug the 6th, I think we all have the same court date. If we flood the courts over this and point out that we are getting harrassed, the judges are not going to be all to happy.

jbrauer 06-24-2003 08:21 AM

RonS - Now that's thinking! There's strength in numbers and we'll all be pullin' for ya'. If I didn't live in TN, I'd be right with you.

Good luck with it and let us now the outcome.

Jeff

frequentflyer 06-24-2003 08:41 AM

Tommy..
I whole heartedly agree with you. I myself have posted on the alliance subject in the past although not directly related to noise issues. It was about the seatow operator that was found guilty of speeding through a Manatee zone even though he was doing so to get to a sinking boat. Environmental extremists are the ones behind this whole thing. There should be a membership organization kind of like the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) that actually lobbys for motorcyclist special interests and defends members in certain court cases. I think it's getting to the point that we need such an organization.

MARK BENTLEY 06-24-2003 08:43 AM

This has been a bad deal. I have dealt with this for years. I actually got a letter from them a few weeks ago asking for "voluntary cooperation" It was a joke. I have head several tickets from wardens who hate these boats. I actually had one sent to me in the mail with no contact. The bad thing is that with budget cuts, all the "good old boys" retired. Now we have a young group out to make a name for themselves. I could tell stories for hours about them. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on legal fees over the years fighting them. If they could just lose the attitudes.

Cord 06-24-2003 08:46 AM

I'd highly suggest that we start contacting out representatives in the government. I was trying to find some info on the new noise regs. I hadn't heard anything about this...

Little Tommy 06-24-2003 08:52 AM

Ron S.,
I agree that we should all show up in court Aug 6. we cannot continue to just pay these tickets without giving it a fight. we need to all take a stand on this issue. And I agree, the DNR needs to lose the attitude.
I brought up the Harley issue to this DNR and he basically blew me off. What a joke. If they are going to harass the powerboaters, then they better start giving tickets to each and every Harley that goes by my house. This is no joking matter.

Tommy

tomcat 06-24-2003 08:56 AM

New law passed in Canada and enforcable this summer. You must have mufflers unless you are 5 mi offshore. Since all boats start from shore I am assuming that operable mufflers are OK, but since most inland pleasure boating takes place within 5 miles of shore you might as well have fulltime mufflers.

This law was introduced by a member of parliament who represents an area of Ontario cottage country that includes some very high priced cottage real estate on relatively small lakes. In other words a handful of loud boats pissed off a handful of influential people including some high profile Hollywood celebs. So every performance boater now pays.

I live on a lake, actually a bay of Lake Simcoe, that is roughly 3 miles long and 1 mile wide. I love it when a fast boat heads up the bay. They run up the middle of the bay and you hear the rumble for maybe one minute, then they're gone. This happens maybe 10 times a day on the weekend. Contrast that with the dozens of PWCs that buzz up and down within a hundred yards of the shoreline all day long. Mufflers or not, the noise from the PWCs is without question more frequent, lasting and annoying.

Having said all that, I am actually in favour of fulltime mufflers since I like the idea of being quick and quiet, kind of a stealth thing. I'm also tired of repairing pneumatic cylinders and air compressors. But after we muffle our performance boats we're going after the PWCs.

MARK BENTLEY 06-24-2003 09:00 AM

One more thing. When Tommy Thompson was Governor, he had a rocky relationship with the DNR. He tried to keep them in line. We'll have to see how Doyle works out.

lucy 06-24-2003 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
does all this noise crap apply to race boats?

mrp 06-24-2003 09:58 AM

Mufflers going on this week. I went up to the Bridge Bar and back to Oshkosh and saw a boat pulled over near Winneconne and 2 other DNR talking off to the side. I managed to sneak by staying quiet with silent choice but from what I am hearing and seeing it is just a matter of time unless we do something about it. I hate giving in to these pricks but I'll put the mufflers on for now. Is CMI the way to go? I have a vortech charger so they need to breathe well.

liquidlocomotive 06-24-2003 09:59 AM

We also need to get the waterfront buisness's involved lose the boats they lose the customers.

liquidlocomotive 06-24-2003 10:03 AM

The biggest DNR prick is Mark Shepard. He has repeatedly said he wants all power boats off the water in the Oshkosh area. What is he doing giving noise tickets? isnt he there to watch the mating habits of crayfish, or something.

Dave1972 06-24-2003 11:34 AM

I received a noise ticket in Madison, WI a few years back. I agree with all of you that there is strength in numbers. At the very least if nobody goes with you Tommy, you go to your court date and express your disapproval, the judge SHOULD minimize the ticket. That's what happened for me....my $138 turned into a $50 just for showing up.

I also agree that the Harleys are out of hand but nothing is ever done about them. This is an excellent opportunity to contact your representatives and express your concerns with them.

Surprisingly I have not had any trouble on the Madison lakes with silent choice on in idle/no wake zones but I'm guessing it's only a matter of time as well.

You could always tell them that you have slip-in mufflers and MAKE them do the dB test. Typically you can ask questions like when was the last time the unit was calibrated, look for quirks in their method of testing (other ambient noise, not in the open, people, boats, traffic in the area, etc.)

Let me know what you decide with this and the outcomes you hear!!!!

dockrocker 06-24-2003 12:06 PM

Check the Michigan noise thread for info on the SAE noise measurement standards and procedures. Not sure if they apply, but it might be helpful...

Caincando1 06-24-2003 12:27 PM

There where two WI law enforcment boats sitting by the lock near La Crosse WI this weekend. They didn't stop any of us or anyone that we saw. We had three singles and 3 twins and not an legal muffler in the group.

Glad the problem hasn't spread to this side of the state yet...

Cord 06-24-2003 12:54 PM

Just remember that Judge doesn't care about politics. He needs to determine if you were in volation of the law or not. Nothing more complicated than that.

OshkoshThunder 06-24-2003 01:04 PM

How about if we put a petition list on the Oshkosh Thunder website that everyone can sign, and send it to key representatives from the State of Wisconsin and the DNR. The only way we are going to fight this thing is by strength in numbers. We should also find out how the Harley riders keep the heat off of thier backs. Someone must have talked to some key people, or they would be going through the same thing. Maybe we can at least get the DNR to give warnings with a specified time to get the problem fixed and then re-tested. They are almost impossible to work with, but if enough of us *****, we may get someplace. Just an idea...

OshkoshThunder 06-24-2003 01:07 PM

Or before the we have a place on the website, I would be willing to gather a list of names if you want to email to Mark@OshkoshThunder. I am already getting a copy of all tickets issued to see if we can do something about this problem...

GrinandBarrett 06-24-2003 01:16 PM

Biggist problem is because of the Madison chain of lakes and the people that live on the lakes don't want power boats on the lakes period. They go to the state assembly with their complaints and give big money to get their way. The people in state govenment then push through these laws hidden in some bigger legistration but include all state waterways. Then the DNR has there hot heads that inforce every little thing or have a grudge against one group or another and only inforce certain laws. Most though won't interfere unless someone calls in a complaint.

Grin

MARK BENTLEY 06-24-2003 01:25 PM

One thing that worked a few years back. If everyone pleaded innocent on the ticket and requested a jury trial, the judges got mad as it clogged the court calender. They slapped the wardens' hands. Note, this only works in a large group. With all lawsuits etc. the courts are extremely backlogged. If they haven't switched the laws, there are lot's of loopholes in it.

Cord 06-24-2003 02:47 PM

I'd sign!

hp500efi 06-24-2003 05:28 PM

They are a bunch of A$$'s up there and sure can ruin a good day out on the water.

RonS, where they pulling everyone over? on the river? or out on the big lake?.

I think it would be very wise to get a hold of the restaurants and taverns and let them know that the DNR is hassling boaters and that you will take your business elsewhere. The restaurant and tavern league is pretty big and they may have some influence on some big wigs who can damper down the water cops.

Steve_H 06-24-2003 05:35 PM

Re: Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick)

Originally posted by Little Tommy
Mr. DNR told us in no uncertain words " We do not want you kind of boates on our water. Our job will be done when you are no longer here" Can you friggin beleive this????? the DNR here think that they are above the almighty and certainly have the attitude to go along with it.

hmmm , to bad you dont have a recording of his words.
bet the judge wouldnt care for his attitude either.

frequentflyer 06-24-2003 05:51 PM

Good idea hp500efi. I'm not from or anywhere near WI but if you guys need me to write a letter to a state rep or something let me know. Strength in numbers.

HighPriority 06-24-2003 06:03 PM

This needs to Stop. I think that performance boats do more for local business than any others boaters. As we all know the APBA had a race planed for Wisconsin in Aug. which will bring in tons of money for the area. So maybe we need to boycott that race and be sure to let the local business and DNR know why.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-24-2003 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by lucy
does all this noise crap apply to race boats?
Probably not Lucy, but then they will be looking for a race test permit....:eek:

Hydro Power 06-24-2003 07:50 PM

I think that I can help you. We make a silencing system that will get the db level down and you don't have to sacrifice any performance. give us a call 1-866-843-1900 ask for Dan
and I will give you a discount.

Little Tommy 06-24-2003 09:19 PM

To give you all an update, I have done alot of digging today. I received a response back from Russ Feingold, our state senator. He refered me to work with our state reps, Ted Kanavas and Scott Jensen. I have put calls in to both of them, and their secretaries assure me that I will receive a call back from them. Our past governor, Tommy Thompson, was not a DNR lover (off the record) and hopefully neither is Doyle.
It was recommended that we get as many signatures as possible to pass on to the Governor. I will be in contact with numerous powerboat clubs in this area to organize a petition drive. I have been in contact today with several people that live in the Fondulac/Oshkosh area, and are supporting us in anyway they can. Restaurant and business owners are extremly concerned about this problem. We the powerboaters bring in alot of revenue for them. There is a meeting scheduled this summer with a powerboat club in that area that is fighting against the DNR regarding the noise levels, but it is going to take all of us as a team to resolve this issue.
What I am trying to fight for all of us, is to be able to abide by the Ferderal Decible Law, not the state. Let's face it, we are going to have to abide to the Federal Decible Law, but what is with all these states making up their own law on decible levels?????
And last, but not least, I am sick and friggin tired of people telling me that we are powerless against the DNR. BULL****. For God sake, this is AMERICA- not some communist country. We all have to take a stance and get this resolved.
Little Tommy home 1-262-827-8827
cell 1-414-349-8567

RonS 06-24-2003 10:20 PM

LIttle Tommy I'm all for the Petition Drive. I think we should get things organized with Mark(Oshkosh Thunder). He lives in Oshkosh and runs the Oshkosh Thunder run. Also knows alot of people up there.

HP, there was a warden that had a fountain stopped, I came around the corner into the No Wake Zone at least 300 ft from him, I saw him pick up his vhf and he called ahead. Then two other Wardens gave me the test. First reading was 89.8, 2nd90.2, and 3rd 90.3.

Does anyone know what the db reading would be for open exhaust with no mufflers on a 502?

ActiveThunderTodd 06-25-2003 01:30 AM

Gezz Ron if your boat is that loud what the hell must mine be. I never put my mufflers on and I guess i was lucky that day. You didn't tell me you got a ticket. Your bhoat sounds so sweet with the exhaust running thru the swim platform like that. A low soft rumble.

Mr. Demeanor 06-25-2003 02:57 AM

Its pretty simple folks, performance boaters are a tiny part of a small group (boaters). Most people move near the water to enjoy nature and they don't want to hear big blocks with open pipes all day. I sense I'm about to piss some of you off but hear it goes anyway.
These boats can be quite and still go fast.
Allot of problems are caused by the "Look at me" types who insist on running their thru hulls idling around docks, marinas, residential areas, etc. As if floating along in a big phallic symbol covered in wild paint weren't enough.
Maybe I can sympathize somewhat because I live near a somewhat busy road and I get woke up or disturbed every friggen day by somebody on a Harley with straight pipes.
Unfortunately, people aren't capable of policing themselves and when enough complaints from residents have been heard, somebody is going to start enforcement.
You can point your fingers at the environmentalists, DNR, etc. all day long but it wont do nearly as much as a little self imposed restraint and common sense. These noise regs are here to stay. Try explaining to the average person why you need to run wide open 4" un-muffled exhausts and I think you'll see what we're up against. We either have to adapt or risk losing further access to waterways. And please don't tell me that loud pipes save lives.

RonS 06-25-2003 06:03 AM

Mr.Demeanor, just for the record, I have Silent Thunder Exhaust from formula, not 4inch open exhaust. Had I been going through the no wake zone the warden would not have given me a second look, but they had another warden sitting before the no wake zone calling ahead every time a performance boat came in.

One other note, I was on the wolf river last year and they were checking boats as they idled by, warden was no more than 50ft from me with a db meter in his hand and never gave me a second glance.