Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT: - question about subwoofers... >

OT: - question about subwoofers...

Notices

OT: - question about subwoofers...

Old 06-24-2003, 09:29 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: - question about subwoofers...

I'm looking to install at least 1 sub, and I was wondering if there is a significant performance difference between air suspension and free-air sub's. My front seats are mounted on fiberglass "pods" that would be an ideal location for an 8" or 10" sub. However, they also serve as handy storage compartments, so I would hate to lose that space to speaker boxes. Besides, I would have to fabricate a custom box under there, which would be a pain. I am installing a Clarion 5-channel amp - 40 X 4 RMS, and 100W for the sub channel, I believe. Would an air suspension 8 or 10" sub give me sufficient bass? I'm not looking to turn my boat into a ghetto "hooptie" on water - I just want more punch, especially when running with the exhaust open.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:23 AM
Registered

Free-air subs sound like crap. You will definitely want to put the sub into some type of enclosure. Depending on power and type of sound you prefer, you can use a vented or sealed enclosure. I have a bandpass box with 2-12" Infinity Perfect subs pumping 1000W into them....so I guess I do have that "hooptie" on the water...although it's definitely not ghetto!
Old 06-24-2003, 12:31 PM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!

Thanks for the replies!

Now I'm thinking about going with some type of separate enclosure. Went to a couple of local places at lunch, one of them had a sub/box combo by JL Audio for around $200. 10" sub, box looked like it might tuck away up under the gunwale. This would be a plus, because I wouldn't have to hack up the boat, and I could take it with me if I sell it. Could also use it in the trunk of the ragtop.

Been looking at different subs, mainly MTX, JL, Kicker. Any of these any good?
Old 06-24-2003, 12:57 PM
Registered

sometimes in a boat its hard to faceload the subs so even though generally sealed boxes sound better you may be better off with a bandpass. If you want any punch stay away from freeair subs.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:58 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All are a good sub... I have two JL 10w6's in my truck under the rear seat with a kicker ZR600 amp running them... they can hit HARD for 10's. I had a ZR240 running my front end but I blew that amp up and replaced it with a JL500... In my other truck I had Orion NT12's (carbon fiber cones) with the kicker 600 running them... if you can fit em' go with a 12, in that much open space you will be happier.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Registered

w6's like being run in 3's they sound alot better.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Budman

Everyones input is right on, stay clear of the free air subs, your 6" speakers will hit harder than 10-12" free air subs I know because I have done it. go with a 10 or 12 sealed and pump as much power to it as it is maxed for.

WILL
Old 06-24-2003, 03:00 PM
Registered

Default Sony Xplod?

Has anyone had any experience with the Sony Xplode line of subwoofers? Their 10" model looks like it has pretty decent specs for the price, and it has the poly cone with butyl rubber surround. How do they hold up compared to the MTX, Kicker, JL, RF, etc.?
Old 06-25-2003, 08:49 AM
Registered

Any opinions on the Sony's??
Old 06-25-2003, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have not seen them in person so I cant not make a comment....

Quick Reply: OT: - question about subwoofers...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.