Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Two hit-and-run accidents on Lake St. Clair this past weekend!!!  Need help!!! >

Two hit-and-run accidents on Lake St. Clair this past weekend!!! Need help!!!

Notices

Two hit-and-run accidents on Lake St. Clair this past weekend!!! Need help!!!

Old 06-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Two hit-and-run accidents on Lake St. Clair this past weekend!!! Need help!!!

Folks, I know we have some Lake St. Clair area boaters here on the board. There were two hit-and-run accidents on the lake this past weekend, one on Friday night and one on Sunday. People hurt in both accidents.

There's not a whole lot of information on the boats, but if you know anything or think you might have information, please contact the St. Clair County Sheriff at 810-794-5655.

Here is all I know about the accidents:
  • Friday 6/20 approx 10:00 pm, an 18 foot open bow boat was struck by a blue or blue and white boat, possibly an express cruiser style model. One person was seriously hurt. This occurred in the North Channel, near where the Middle Channel joins. The boat may have come from the Middle Channel (unclear).

If you see or know of a boat matching this description, very probably damaged, please contact the Sheriff.
  • Sunday 6/22 approx 10:50 pm, a couple anchored out fishing was struck by a white boat, description unknown. The offending boat hit hard enough to leave pieces of white fiberglass hull in the fishing boat. The damage looks to be down into the core material of the hull, probably on the starboard side.

Please, if you know ANYTHING that might help get these miserable ****s off the water, contact the St. Clair County Sheriff at the above number. *******s like this should be driving a prison cot, not a boat!

Thanks for any help!!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Trim it Up!
Platinum Member

Default Amen.

Old 06-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Registered

A newspaper story on one of the accidents. How can you hit another boat then take off?
Old 06-24-2003, 01:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

That is some very messed up chit.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Registered

The one on Friday was worse. At least one person was knocked into the water, and one person in the boat that was hit had to have hours of plastic and other surgery to put his face back together. He's obviously still in the hospital.

When we catch these SOBs - and I think we will - I think all we'll need is a rope and tall tree.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Registered

Dockrocker,
They will catch them. It's just a matter of time.
I was told by some "people" that when someone runs whether it is an accident or just running from getting pulled over they never forget. Ever see the "law" just kind of cruising around thru marinas ? They are there for a reason.
Hopefully this is true.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate that anyone would get hurt on the water while enjoying boating, and anyone leaving the scene of any type of accident is an a_ _, but tragedies like this leave me to wonder why people with small boats, not much larger than rowboats put themselves in an area where there are large cruisers, especially after dark.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No offense, Ms. PatriYacht, but the answer is prety straight forward to me. The person in the small boat has as much right to the waters as the person in the large cruiser, as long as they are abiding by the rules.
Size of your boat (Or wallet) does not give you any more rights to the water as anyone else.
I have only a 20' boat (Right now.) I boat in Barnegat Bay, NJ. The guy up the lagoon from me has a 60' Viking. Since he goes out on the bay too, does that mean I shouldn't be there? If he runs me down, is it my fault for being on the bay?
Old 06-24-2003, 02:19 PM

Rainmn

I think you misunderstood, I personally wouldn't anchor out anywhere that is close to a busy area, especially in a smaller craft, just ups the risks. you can be Dead Right, but you are still dead just my 2 cents

Will
Old 06-24-2003, 02:53 PM
Registered

Rainmn, No offense taken, your right everyone has the right to be in the water, and I almost put that it in my reply. It goes without saying boats of all sizes need to be on the lookout for each other.
I do not know the area you boat in, but I am assuming like the great lakes it can get pretty rough, and conditions can change quickly. I know you feel everyone has a right to the water, as I do, but do you really think it is a good idea or a safe boating practice to to anchor in the dark in areas where freighters can travel, let alone off shore boats and cruisers.

Quick Reply: Two hit-and-run accidents on Lake St. Clair this past weekend!!! Need help!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.