Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Teak surfing, a dying sport or you better hold your breath (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53061-teak-surfing-dying-sport-you-better-hold-your-breath.html)

Ms PatriYacht 06-24-2003 01:57 PM

Teak surfing, a dying sport or you better hold your breath

I have been hearing a lot on the news about carbon monoxide poisoning from boats and a so called class action law suit against several boat manufacturers. Not hearing the whole story originally, I had been wondering how in a responsible boating environment this happens and if I should worry. Well I finally saw a video of it on the news this morning, there were about 4 11 year old boys being dragged behind a ski boat while holding on to the swim platform, apparently they call this teak surfing! The news acted like the boat companies were at fault for not "educating" the public on the danger of carbon monoxide. Never once did they mention the fact that none of the boys were wearing life jackets!!!! Or some of the other dangers one might encounter while hanging off a moving boat!!!! Is it just me
that thinks this way??

Chris288 06-24-2003 02:03 PM

saw someone doing it last year, reported them to the sheriff, I may be a jerk for doing it, but I may also have saved a life..

Wally 06-24-2003 02:04 PM

Re: Teak surfing, a dying sport or you better hold your breath

Originally posted by Ms PatriYacht
there were about 4 11 year old boys being dragged behind a ski boat while holding on to the swim platform, apparently they call this teak surfing! ?
gee....i wonder where this ones gonna head? in about 6months youlll see a law suit again a boat company because "there wasnt proper protection around the propellor to keep my now dead kid from getting chopped up" :mad: HOW F**KN stupid are people these days!?!?!? DAMN! Can i get some sort of presidential approval to carry a bat with me and club people to death for doing stupid crap before they kill them selfs and cost the rest of the world aggravation with dumbass lawsuits? Who's backing me on this? All 4 of those kids should be cane'd and the driver should have his throttle hand taken off!!! :mad:

Danny Usnik 06-24-2003 02:08 PM

It doesn't surprise me that kids don't think of Carbon monoxide, The disturbing thing is not thinking of the thing under the swim platform that resembles a blender, that's what I would be afraid of. Body parts usually don't win a fight with a prop.

THRILLSEEKER 06-24-2003 02:09 PM

Yeah, I read someehing about that too. They even showed a picture of some guys doing it.

Stupid kids hanging on to the back of the swim platform as the boat drags them through the water:drool: :drool:

WTF are there parents thinking letting them do that:mad: what happens when the boat becomes airborne??:eek: did anyone ever give a thought to the spinning prop directly under the kids as they are hanging on:mad:

I have done some pretty stupid sh!t on boats but man that one is a no brainer:rolleyes:

Risk Taker 06-24-2003 02:12 PM

Re: Re: Teak surfing, a dying sport or you better hold your breath

Originally posted by Wally
gee....i wonder where this ones gonna head? in about 6months youlll see a law suit again a boat company because "there wasnt proper protection around the propellor to keep my now dead kid from getting chopped up" :mad: HOW F**KN stupid are people these days!?!?!? DAMN! Can i get some sort of presidential approval to carry a bat with me and club people to death for doing stupid crap before they kill them selfs and cost the rest of the world aggravation with dumbass lawsuits? Who's backing me on this? All 4 of those kids should be cane'd and the driver should have his throttle hand taken off!!! :mad:
And we wonder why our insurance premiums are going up....... :confused::mad:

Eternal Warrior 06-24-2003 02:55 PM

I heard about this. I can't understand how anyone can be so stupid. This is an article ABC did about it and the lawsuit.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/U...ath030606.html

THRILLSEEKER 06-24-2003 03:12 PM

UNFUC%ING BELIVABLE, this is almost as bad as some dumb fat lazy ghetto trash trying to get rich off of McDonalds :mad: :mad: :mad:

T I wonder if theese idiot parents would let their kids hang on to the bumper of their moving car with roller skates on:mad: :mad:

.........I want millions of dollars because my kid is now dead and it is everybody's fault but mine......

and that is exactly what will happen:mad: Wally, I will get my bat and lets go dumba$$ hunting on the lake this weekend
:D

Sydwayz 06-24-2003 03:16 PM

Many of the folks doing it are doing so behind INBOARD ski boats, with the prop beneath the boat, and well in front of the "surfers". Parents think this is safe because the prop is well under the boat. They obvisouly forget about the CO.

Why do you think they teach barefooters on the SIDE of a boat?

jmeng 06-24-2003 04:38 PM

This was mentioned in Power Boat a year or two ago so it's been going on for a while.