OT - Looking to buy new car? >

OT - Looking to buy new car?

Notices

OT - Looking to buy new car?

Old 06-27-2003, 07:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by dreamer
oh as for lexus my dad wants out of his 01 E55 AMG M-B for another Lexus or audi
Why don't you do something constructive like go ride around in daddy's car.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dreamer
your still stuck driving an american POS!! never owened american and NEVER will( except big blocks for the boat!!)... poor engineering, design, quality, handling and RESALE

I've never had problems with an American car that you wouldn't expect to have with any other vehicle. You admit to NEVER owning one, but can pass a blanket judgement??
Old 06-27-2003, 07:56 AM
Registered

I always have a problem with this notion of "German Engineering"

They hide behind the luxuries provided by their marketers that allow them to not concern themselves with cost (the market expects them to be expensive, and to have high maintenance costs). Any outfit can make something good to be a little bit better. The true challenge is to make it better, cheaper, and get it done sooner. Of those 3, better is the easiest to accomplish and cheaper requirers the most tradeoffs.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:59 AM
Eric1969

HOLY CRAP!!

I thought I was asking a simple question about cars and a USA vs. everyone else fight breaks out.

Living in the south, many "foreign" cars are manufactured in the USA. For example, there is a large Mercedes factory outside of Talladega, AL. My little opinion? I would rather have a "foreign" car made in the USA rather than an American car made overseas.

I appreciate everyones thoughts on the Lexus/Toyota Corporation. Personally, I believe they make great vehicles, whether it is a Camry, Lexus, or a Tundra. All excellent vehicles.

For the record, I am trading in my FORD Explorer and my wife drives a 2003 FORD Expedition.

I try and spread my money (what little I have) to everyone!

Old 06-27-2003, 08:08 AM
Banned

Just to set the record straight, I have no problem with people buying foreign vehicles, it was just Dreamer's total condemnation of American vehicles that pisses me off.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:00 AM
Mad Hatter

American cars poor engineering? Hmmm GT racing, Dodge Viper is the winningest car of the series several years in a row after its debut. Beating out porsche audi and BMW. Sounds likea pretty good car to me!

I never said they were bad cars, I'm just saying if your not buying foriegn because you think its taking money from Americans you're being ignorant in not paying attention to current events.

Old 06-27-2003, 09:14 AM
Registered

Hatter,
Yes the companies pay for things in the US like wages and parts. Ultimately the Corperate taxes are paid in foreign countries.
Eric,
Buy whatever the hell you want, it's your money!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

check this out notice something?

consumer reports
Old 06-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to generalize, but it seems like most of the people who tell me stories about the reliability of their American cars just don't have anything else to compare to. I.E., they've only owned American cars.
I've owned plenty of both, and the foreign ones set the standard for the American ones to be compared to in my case.
Cuda - not to single you out, but you mentioned 120K trouble-free miles on your F-150. That's great, but if you had already owned a few 250K mile Toyotas and Hondas, you would expect nothing less. Now on the other hand, let's say your last truck was like my last POS Yukon. It ate a tranny at 60K, and had far too many other problems to list here. Not to mention all the general squeaks and rattles that piss me off to no end. If you were comparing those two, you'd be thrilled with the 150.
I could honestly care less whether someone buys an American or foreign car. Presently, I own both - an Excursion and a Prelude. What really does get on my nerves is when someone says that I should buy American, and American only, even if it isn't the better choice for what I want. That's just plain ignorant, especially with the huge "Blur" between what actually is American or foreign.
Sounds way too much to me like UAW workers thinking they have a "Right" to a job, rather than believing they should make a superior product that will help insure that job.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and dreamer can now be seen driving around cleveland in his 2000 Honda Odyssey...it did make the list so it must be and egineering marvel...

Quick Reply: OT - Looking to buy new car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.