Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any alternative to foam for under the fuel tank? >

Any alternative to foam for under the fuel tank?

Notices

Any alternative to foam for under the fuel tank?

Old 06-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any alternative to foam for under the fuel tank?

I am about to re-install my fuel tank and not sure how well we will be able to get the foam completely under the tank. Access to the high side is limited because the tank sits under the lip of the cockpit floor.

I had though about using foam insulation sheets to fill the 1" void between the tank and hull. I have concerns about it's durability, strength, and if it will "melt" if any gas should come in contact with it.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you want bilge water to be able to flow under the tank.

You can install several staws prior to installing the tank. Then just hook the foam bottle to each tube and fill a different area.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:13 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the past I have installed some PVC pipe about 1/2"-3/4" O.D. next to the center stringermake sure it runs through each of the bulkheads unobstructed then set your tank on a couple of foam strips 1/2" wide by 1/2"-3/4" tall that run from the side down to the center stringer like the bulheads run to raise it off the floor. Then mount the tank with hardware at the top to through bolt it to the stringers. You can either then remove the strips which is probably best to get an even pour. Make sure there is space all around the tank to let the foam expand into place around the bottom and sides. Once you have the tank suspended in place get the two part foam you have to mix together. Once you have it mixed pour it from the outside of the tank down the side and it will expand into place. Keep an eye on it as once it starts to expand it will do it quickly. Dont be afraid if it runs over the top some as you can cut it after it sets to get a nice uniform finish to reinstall the floor over. If you have any questions please PM me your number so we can chat and I will walk you through it.

Good Luck

Sean
Old 06-26-2003, 06:21 PM
Registered

Sean,
I remember the way that you and I installed the tank. But the last time I saw this job performed on a similar boat, they added one step that we forgot. Leave the boat uncovered with no interior and all of the electrical components hanging out in the rain for three or four days to let the entire project get soaked. Why didnt we think of that. Hmmmm? Oh well, I guess they did a good job, the boat runs....Oh...Wait...No it doesnt!
Old 06-26-2003, 08:11 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the difference between dedication to the client and screwing him over just to get the job in for sake of being the Big Man who we know he's really not.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Registered

OK, here's the problem. When the tank is in place it sits under the cockpit liner and there is no way to access the outside edge to pour the foam. And there is no way to see if we got it completly filled.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Registered

Dammit Man, cant you see we are trying to pick on people here! You keep bringing up of all this technical mumbo jumbo! Kiddning.
Where do you have to poor from and how large is the area. You only get one shot to do this right or its Scraper time. Did you pull the floor?
Old 06-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Registered

THe floor is out and tank is ready to go back in. I am going to use poly foam sheets from Fiberglast.com. Their site says it has the same properties as the 2 part foam. This will go on the bottom only and the rest will be 2 part foam.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do like Ron said . Hook some straws together and squirt it in there !
Old 06-26-2003, 10:06 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kendall give me a call at home . 845 528 8646 I have an idea

Quick Reply: Any alternative to foam for under the fuel tank?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.