Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT:  Anyone ever sell a car through e-bay? >

OT: Anyone ever sell a car through e-bay?

Notices

OT: Anyone ever sell a car through e-bay?

Old 06-27-2003, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Anyone ever sell a car through e-bay?

I'm thinking about putting a car up for sale on e-bay, and wondering if anyone else has done this? What kind of experiences have you had? Any problems with bidders not coming through, that sort of thing? How would you compare it to autotrader.com?

Many thanks!
Old 06-27-2003, 06:45 AM
Registered

Wally sold his Scarab, he is the guy to talk to.

Tommy
Old 06-27-2003, 06:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

yes.

I've had bids retracted for bogus reasons. (Ebay took disciplinary action on them).

I've had people never show up or send money or call when they won.

I've had cars won and then fail an "inspection" by a professional inspection service for things that were revealed in the auction description - a 1970 ChallengerSE 440 "clone" failed inspection because it had unknown speedometer mileage (as stated in the description) and because it was not an original 440 car (as stated in the description which is why it was selling for 14,000 instead of 25,000). Also had a Viper GTS fail inspection because it had bene painted on one side (auction clearly stated that the car had been repainted, but that it had not been involved in a moving accident - it had been keyed).

Also sold three clean deals off Ebay. BMW M-coupe, Benz E320, CJ8 Scrambler.

Fixing to put an '89 Saleen hatchback Mustang on there this week.

If you ask me, a car does well on Ebay if it is "special" in some way. Normal cars don't so squat on Ebay unless they are dirt cheap.

Normal cars do better on trader.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:02 AM
Banned

I sold the same pair of jet skis twice on ebay, and both times the winner never showed. You use to be able to get your money back if the deal didn't go through, but now you are just SOL and out your forty something dollars. I'm through selling anything in the "vehicle" part of ebay.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:13 AM
Registered

Default Ebay??

Sold a Z3 BMW on E-bay, got screwed by Paypal. Buyer used Paypal. Released car & signed title after funds were recieved electronically in my Paypal account. The buyers Credit card card/bank cancelled the transaction & reversed the payment. No car & no money, had to threaten the buyer with criminal charges & took 12 days to get my money & then Paypal still charged me $325 for their commission.
Make sure you get full payment before you release anything.
Good luck
John
Old 06-27-2003, 07:37 AM
Registered

Hmmm, sounding like e-bay isn't the greatest way to sell something big...
Old 06-27-2003, 08:13 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 932 Likes on 469 Posts

Its not that bad if you protect yourself properly....you can state in the auction that you reserve the right to end the auction early for any reason..........make them send you a non refundable deposit within a certain time frame to proove to you they are serious.........and like stated above, make sure to disclose everything and put it in bold letters to make sure they know what they are buying and dont have any excuse to back out.....

I sold the Scarab on ebay and the guy was happy and also sold a buddys Dodge V-10 2500 pickup......both times went without hitch.....the pickup deal was a bit longer cause lawyers got involved to protect each party but in the end it all went smooth.

Oh and from my experience its easier to start the auction at no reserve at the lowest you are willing to let the item go for.......so like your car, if you would be happy getting $1500 for it then start there with no reserve.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I bought my truck off of e-bay. I was pretty happy with the deal, but a short time later a problem arose. I noticed that the truck was leaking coolant and it was getting progressively worse. I took it to the dealer who diagnosed a leaking head gasket. The kicker was that somebody had dumped stop leak into the cooling system. It had to of been done by the prior owner.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:55 AM
Registered

I sold a 1969 Dodge Charger on Ebay, went well, transaction was smooth, no Issues. I live by Chicago the buyer was from New Mexico.