Notices

Sickness After Boating!!

Old 06-27-2003, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vertigo is an Alfred Hitchcock movie, and a good one too!
Old 06-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was diagnosed with inner ear problems 2 years ago and have had several rounds of vertigo, including one trip to the emergency room. No problems when out on the water but when on dry land I feel like I have permanent sea-legs. My ENT has me taking Meclizine Hcl (25mg) and it works very well. You don't need a Rx to get it. It's the medication in Bonine and the new Dramamine non-drowsy. Because I have to take it daily, I buy it at Wal-mart in a bottle of 100 for $7.97 (Geneva Meclizine Hcl) instead of buying the brand names which cost around $4.00 for 8 pills.

Takes 30 minutes to work. While the normal dosage is 25mg/day, in severe episodes you can take up to 150mg over a 24 hour period (50mg/3 time a day) I have to take 50mg 1 hour before getting on an airplane. My ENT also placed tight restrictions on the consumption of alcohol, caffine, and an intake of no more than 2000mg of sodium /day. The first two can cause an over stimulation of the nerves in the inner ear, the third- an excessive build up of fluid.

Hope this helps 'cause your right...there's nothing greater than sleeping on the boat at night. Really miss those days, which is why hubby (since exchanging the Sea-Ray for a d**n bass boat and moving me off the coast) has to fork over for a 7 day cruise at least every other year.

Nita