Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is your Tow Vehicle/What are you Towing? >

What is your Tow Vehicle/What are you Towing?

Notices

What is your Tow Vehicle/What are you Towing?

Old 07-01-2003, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sharkeymarine
Great responses! Keep 'em coming...
I found two trucks but the only thing I seem to have a problem with is they are only two wheel drive duallys.
We both just left disappointed thinking we found something for a bargain.....
Sharkey,
I just went through this scenario of buying a truck and got all kinds of input. Do a search on the subject 4 whl drive at the ramp. I realize you may have two great trucks in front of you at a great price, but you are doing the right thing of NOT skimping on 4 whl drive. I almost considered not getting 4 whl drive, glad I didn't. Had to use in the grass because it was a little wet from the rain as I parked my truck and trailer once I put in. If it wasn't for 4 whl drive I would have needed a tow. There are some great deals to be made! Take your time, its a buyers market, you'll find what you want at the price you want. You just haven't found someone who wants to sell a truck bad enough yet with every option you want. Good luck
Old 07-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

No truck payment here...
'00 GMC K3500 Crew Dually 4x4. 454, Auto trans. Banks Power Pack (Headers to tail pipe) Has 245/16 BFG A/Ts
The Power Pack really woke this thing up. Supposedly to the tune of 350+HP, 510+Lb/Ft torque.
Pulls my 28 Pantera just dandy.. Boat and trailer are 8000lb.
This truck will pass anything but a gas station. It honsetly gets 10, sometimes 9 MPG EMPTY. It gets 8-9 with the boat in tow.
We're going to trailer to Sarasota this weekend. It's mostly 70-75mph highway for 245 miles... I'll track my milage.

I would like a new Duramax or PSD. However the used truck market is poop right now. I can gt a good deal on the new truck, but they only want to give 21k for my trade in...

I used to pull a 102"x 24' enclosed trailer...when I was motorcycle racing... The guys nicknamed the truck "Top Fuel". The name worked both ways.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 07-01-2003, 09:02 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 4WD

I have NEVER needed 4wd at any slightly respectable ramp.
We do use some pretty crappy ramps down in the Keys... but I still have not used 4wd. This truck has NEVER seen Low range..
Next truck will be 2wd, with a locker in the rear, and a decent set of tires.
Good tires make the truck.
How many of you have 4wd with crappy highway rib tires???
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 07-01-2003, 09:48 AM
Registered

Old 07-01-2003, 10:28 AM
Uncle Toys

'01 Excursion, V10

Still can't talk my wife into matching flames

Well zhit, it wont let me post a picture. Will update later - sorry.

Last edited by Uncle Toys; 07-02-2003 at 03:11 PM.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Registered

Not to get anything started but the FORDS have it by far.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Registered

GMC 2500HD 4x4 ext cab short bed with 8.1L and allison Trans...Tows my 29' Shockwave (about 7500 lbs on trailer) with no problems at all..My only complaint is that the gas tank in the truck is only 26 Gals which doesn't last very long when I get 7 MPG towing....
Old 07-01-2003, 12:10 PM
liquid lounge

The decesion you really have to make is not Chevy, Ford , or Dodge, but diesel or gas...stick or automatic. The bigger gas motors, like the Chevy 8.1 will have plenty of power, the V10 ford will have a little less power, but will be a little easier on gas. The v10 Dodge is just an all around pig. I like all the diesels...lots of power, really good fuel economy. I personally drive an '01 7.3 PSD cc and couldn't be happier, but I think I would be happier towing with any brand of diesel over any brand of gas powered vehicle. The Duramax is earning a fine reputation...the 6.0 PSD will be the top performer, but I would wait a little longer as they are having some minor teething problems at launch. The Cummins is also just awsome...a true HD truck motor! Very few people who tow ever go back to gas afer owning a diesel. For an everyday driver the diesels have become very civilized.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:41 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Luv-N-It!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 07-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Registered

Don't have bit trouble towing this rig with this diesel up & down I-95 at 90 & 95 mph.. ummm that is the speed limit isnt it ? That i just passed wasn't it..I-95.. didn't the I mean Ist one to 95 win's sumptin.
Attached Thumbnails What is your Tow Vehicle/What are you Towing?-daytona-apba-2003-001.jpg  

Quick Reply: What is your Tow Vehicle/What are you Towing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.