Crash on Ohio river / Dayton KY >

Crash on Ohio river / Dayton KY

Notices

Crash on Ohio river / Dayton KY

Old 06-28-2003, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Crash on Ohio river / Dayton KY

Just got up and on the news they said last night a small boat was run over/hit by a "cigarette" boat last night. They showed a pic of the small boat ( probably 18-20' ). This boat was covered in blood. Pretty bad scene. I only caught this news passing the TV and I'm not awake yet, so I don't have details. They said the "cig" boat took off and they are searching for the boat and it's passengers.
Any info?
Once again -sounds like people being drunk and stupid.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:07 AM
Registered

They are saying the boat was white and red w/ yellow stripes.
Appenrtly the "cig'" (reported to be 50') ran over the smaller boat. The pics on the news look like it went right over top. Chewed up fiberglass all over the boat. The guy in the "cig" took off. 6-7 people in the hospital now. Unbeleivable mess.
I hope the people are OK.
It's a DAMN shame, and gives all us "cigar" boaters a bad name.
Somebody screwed up pretty bad, and is now hiding. There is certainly major damage to the boat. They'll show up soon.
Gentleman/Ladies - It's time to police ourselves, otherwise we will be policed by the Law, and I think they will gladly take the fun out of everything we love. This is a vagrant lack of responsibility on the boat owner.
Maybe we should have an operators license, and set it up in different classes depending on the speed of your boat - like a drivers license vs. a CDL.
hell, I don't know... I don't want the law anymore involved than need be, but we need to do something about this type of behavior.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is another example of why I do not like being out after dark on the water.

I am sorry to here some people got hurt & hope no one is in serioius condition.

Last edited by Turbojack; 06-28-2003 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:27 AM
Charter Member # 1215

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems that most of these accidents are taking place in the evening hours, when you would think that the most responsible drivers would be on the water at that time, knowing how much more difficult it is to navigate in darkness. In State of New York they are making it mandatory liscensing by 2005, what they have failed to inform people about is instrumentation. I believe that there should be class rating's for drivers like pilots as in Instrument Rated, to be able to use instruments is crucial when running at nite and I'm not taking about Tachs and Speedometers. Its very sad to hear of all the recent accidents that have taken place, and I would suggest all responsible boaters try to find ways from preventing such terrible acts.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eight years ago on Memorial Day weekend I was towing my neighbors boat home from a restaurant after it failed to start. It was about 10 PM and we were idling along with all of our lights on. A boat came straight at us. We tried getting his attnention to no avail. At the last moment, I tried to turn out of the way, but the boat went diagonally across my 20' Century Riviera. It went from about 3' from the bow on the right side, over the windshield, between the front buckets and exited right at the rear bench seat on the left side.

There were five people in my boat and five in the boat being towed. Luckily, he missed my neighbor's boat completely. Three people bailed out in time, my wife got tangled in the throttle, and the fifth person ducked down. When we got everyone together and found no major injuries, we discovered the boat that hit us had never slowed down and was gone! Little did they know they were in a dead-end cove!!

Some good samaritans stopped to assist since my boat was nearly cut in half, but continued to float. Then a Bayliner approached and asked what happened. I said "Some a$$hole just hit us, could you go try to find him?" He yells back "I'm the a$$hole that hit you and you damaged my boat!" I "damaged your boat?!?!" #$%@&%#*^%$## You!

After much yelling and threats, the police arrived since people on shore saw the accident and called 911. Eventually, it was found the other driver had a BAC of over .20%. Double the legal limit. In addition, it was his first trip to the lake and the boat wasn't even his. It was borrowed!

He immediately moved to Florida to escape liability, but we tracked him down and eventually recovered minimal damages for our boat and some medical bills. We actually had to "force" TN to uphold the BUI charges since the judge was unaware of the details of the law and was going to dismiss the charges!

Just goes to show, there are a$$holes driving every type of boat, car, bike, plane, etc., etc. It's not the vehicle, but the operator that makes the right or wrong decisions! BTW - None of us had been drinking within the last 2 -3 hours that night!

Sorry for rambling, but this is one night I'll never forget!

Jeff
Old 06-28-2003, 07:44 AM
Charter Member # 1215

Jeff,

100%
Old 06-28-2003, 07:50 AM
Registered

Topgun - I'm with you on the rating scale,
It's just sucks that we can't police ourselves as a "powerboat community" and have to turn it over to the law making people that don't have any intelligence about what we do. Sure, accidents happen, and usually they occur due to stupid choices (I.e. - running a large fast boat full throttle after dark on a busy waterway). I don't know that this particular incident involved high speed or alchol/drugs, But it still taints the name of anyone driving a nice go- fast.
We need to Police ourselves. If we don't, Hyper baja is gonna have to go through nuclear testing, a dunk tank, and a DNA test by the time he's 25 just to drive his boat.
Everyone needs to realize you are in control of a machine capable of significant damage if not death. You spent alot of money on this machine and love the free feeling it gives you, But don't let it get away from you , and take away that free feeling from others that are out to enjoy the same freedom.
It sounds like all the boaters are gonna be OK (except the driver of the "cig")(he's gonna get his a$$ burnt - and deserves it).

I just hate this sort of incident giving us all a bad name - we are usually the most responsible boaters out there, with the most expensive hardware and the most knowledge of what to do in bad weather or a bad situation. Running away from a boat you just ran over - unforgiveable....
Old 06-28-2003, 08:07 AM
Charter Member # 1215

BouyHunter,

I''m sure that we all know people that have no idea what so ever, of what there doing behind a wheel of a boat, an yet they still go out with other people on it dangering himself, his guests, and all those on the water, and the tragedy of it is that there is nothing one can really do about it. One would think to use common sense but most of the time thats not the case, I am very supportive of a mandatory liscense, but if you going to have it, you must make sure that there is nothing that is left out, instrumentation and a driving test as well. Yes it will be a burden, but hopefully the means will justify the end.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:08 AM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.kypost.com/2003/06/28/smash062803.html

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjourna...te/6190387.htm

Last edited by wwwTOPDJcom; 06-28-2003 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Registered

Manditory liscense is not the answer, sorry to disagree it isn't even close, unless you are checked for a liscense before you go out everytime. This isn't like flying where it is pretty evident that you need training, skill and good judgement to stay alive. If you don't you will be weeded out pretty fast by natural selection. The minimum skill level to operate a boat (i don't mean operate it properly) is pretty low.

Aren't you supposed to be liscensed to drive a car? And how many people drive drunk or reckless? It's just like owning a gun, law abiding people get a liscense and the bad people dont.

The way this is going to get handled, like it or not, is going to come either by insurance premiums forcing most everyone out or legislation limiting speed and power. The only thing I can see liscensing helping is if you are liscensed maybe your insurance is bearable.

You can't stop stupid people from doing stupid things, you just can't but they are always the ones that ruin it for those of us that are responsible.

Quick Reply: Crash on Ohio river / Dayton KY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.