Another crazy boat dealer  story >

Another crazy boat dealer story

Notices

Another crazy boat dealer story

Old 06-30-2003, 06:21 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a million stories over 35 years,maybe need to write a book. I'm trying to chill out again tonite when a really nice guy calls me about a Formula he just bought from a dealer in his area and is having a problem with props and the dealer has no clue about what to do. We chat for a long time, he is just a nice guy that needs some advice. Tho I will never make a penny off of him it was an enjoyable conversation, discussing what I love,boating. Guess things like this make it all worthwhile.Karen thinks I'm crazy but I do love what I do.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:30 PM
Registered

I have to agree on that. If I started to think about how much I made verses the time involved, I don't think that I would go in to work in the morning. Sometimes the people make it worthwhile. Are you only in the new boat business? Ours is mainly storage and maint, with at little sales thrown in the mix.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 06-30-2003, 07:04 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

We do mainly new sales plus the trade-ins we take on the new ones.It is what I do,the upsides are better than the downsides. Just a few minutes ago I was watching the end of an old Startrek episode when the phone rang and someone wanted to ask a question about a water pump. I wanted to tell them that Captain Kirk is in a major crisis, hang up the phone.Instead I said,sure we stock them, come by tomorrow. Captain Kirk doesn't make my house payment,my customers do.And I appreciate that people call me at all hours. The bankruptcy courts are full of broke boat dealers that don't understand that to keep your customers you have to take care of them or they won't take care of you.Simple Marketing 101,it's easy if you believe in it.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Yeah,probrably,need to check on the options first but i will most likely buy it.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Magicfloat
Karen thinks I'm crazy but I do love what I do.
And that makes all the difference! It's a wonderful thing when you vocation and your avocation are the same.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Magicfloat
Captain Kirk doesn't make my house payment,my customers do.And I appreciate that people call me at all hours. The bankruptcy courts are full of broke boat dealers that don't understand that to keep your customers you have to take care of them or they won't take care of you.Simple Marketing 101,it's easy if you believe in it.
Instead of writing your memoirs, I think you should write a book, "How to suceed in any business".

There are a few things I remember from Mgmt training for Red Losbster many moons ago. One was, give people good service, and they will tell two or three people. Give someone bad service and they will tell everyone they know.

Another one I've found to be true is that there are only three things to being successful in any business, providing there is a market for your goods/service. The three things are QVS, Quality, Value and Service. Of these three things, I've also found the most important is service. In my line of work, people will forget the great price you gave them, and the beautiful work, but they will damn sure remember the mess you left behind, or the days you were late or didn't show.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:17 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Pretty simple,amazing that so many business owners have no clue why they fail.A few Burger Kings bite the dust but Too Olds don't. It is simple,get a bad burger at Too Olds place, he would not only replace it at no charge, he would give you a gift certicate for a couple of more. Marketing
is easy,doesn't take a college degree,just common sense.

Last edited by Magicfloat; 06-30-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bankruptcy courts are full of broke boat dealers that don't understand that to keep your customers you have to take care of them or they won't take care of you.Simple Marketing 101,it's easy if you believe in it.
Please move to California and open a dealership. We have a few out here now that are clueless. No Service, no quality, just take your money and hope you end up in the back of the lawsuit line. They have KILLED the sport with greed for many who enjoyed it. Now only the Die Hards and Mega ritch drive offshore powerboats in SoCal. You cant get anyone of quality to sell you a boat or even work on it, they have all been laid off or quit.