Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Hard Landing Kills Motor ? >

Hard Landing Kills Motor ?

Notices

Hard Landing Kills Motor ?

Old 06-30-2003, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes its just the right angle where the fuel pushes the float a certain way. Mine has never died from entry but a few big ones did make the motor miss a beat or two.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

It just need to pause for a moment to say OUCH!
Old 06-30-2003, 01:23 PM
Registered

You said you checked all your electricals, but I had the same thing happen on my carbed 454 MAG in my 22 Donzi this past weekend. I'll post just to give someone else my experience.

Boat hit very hard. Engine shut off with the key buzzer now sounding. I had power to the key and to the starter as like yours, the engine turned over fine when I tried to restart. My next thought was a problem with the coil and the plugs were not getting fire. Checked all wire connections to the coil and to the distributor. All appeared OK. Has a last ditch effort, I crawled up under the dash and sure enough, found a wire that must have been a hot lead to accessarys and the coil. It had seperated from it's crimpted round piece that was still attached to the ignition switch. I pushed the wires back into this piece and she started right up. We idled to a marina where I was able to buy the needed parts and borrow tools to make the fix. (Note to Donzi: Use a longer screw on the switch when your trying to put 6 of these connections on the switch terminal please.) They had this little bitty brass screw trying to hold 6 of these power leads! Anyway, replaced the small screw with a longer one and reattached all the connections to the ignition switch. No further problems.

As stated by more professional folk than I, your problem appears to be with your carb float. Just thought I'd share what happened to me as it had very similar results to yours.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did this phenomenon occur whilst proceding toward the bar ,or during your journey back from said establishment ???

May need to evaluate the "wingnut" behind the steering wheel !!!
Old 06-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have turned a few airplanes into gliders that way. The float litterally flats to the top and chokes the engine out. Neg G dives will do that. It may not have been the slamming down, it might have gone out on the way down.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Mike J

1 Motor = Fix it now.....
Mike J.

Old 06-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Registered

Dewy,

Now that you mention it, maybe it was the loose nut behind the wheel, I'll have to check that tonight and let you know.

Maybe, if I don't fix it I'll just ride on the Saber for the poker runs.

To everyone else that had intelligent things to say, I appreciate your help.