Notices

diesel power

Old 07-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Groove: Europe (as you can see from the posters) is into diesels in a big way. Fabio Buzzi ring a bell? Europe is also the place where diesels have shed their pokey & smokey image. Turbodiesels are all the rage there. When I was over there two weeks ago, I drove a (turbo)diesel powered Beetle down the Autobahn, at 160 mph, and the thing didn't want to stop at a gas (well, diesel) station. Amazing. Volkswagen especially comes out with very hot turbocharged diesel powerplants.

Because of that (and also because of the lower price of diesel) new car sales are pushing 50% diesel in some European countries. And forget about smokey and smelley.

I hope these things will be marinized soon. Amazing weight/power ratios. Also forget about sitting on a bomb as with gas. Instead, you are sitting on a drum of heating oil.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Registered

Cobra: Looks great, congratulations, but that smoke is revolting. I mean, I'm praising the fact that diesels have shed their smokey and pokey image, and you look like you are going up in flames. Where in Norway is Arendal?

Last edited by Peconic; 07-04-2003 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Registered

Hi levitian.
Yes the hammerhead is a 300, and the engine is great, (but it has only 12hours on it at the moment) the onlything I have problems with is the tachometer, I have used Gaffrig instruments, and was told that the hammerhead has a sensor for the tacho so standard v8 gasoline instruments will work. And it does, but the reading is wrong, But I think it is the instrument that is maybe damaged from transpotation. I was nicked on the side when I got it.
my drive height is 2" above standard, so the outdrive is pretty high up.

but to put the drive so high up was a mistake, due to Olle Terjesen, from Winrace propellers, he said that on diesel aplications just go with max 1" above standard drive heigth.

And he knows what he talks about, since he delivers proppellers al over the world, to racing teams.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:59 AM

cobra860, That's interesting, my drives are also 2" up from Std, but I will soon be going a further 2" with IMCO shorties, I see no reason to think this will cause any problems, and will I'm sure release a few more valuable MPH!
I've att a couple of pics of my boat/engines (note the heavy stern!
Attached Thumbnails diesel power-1.jpg  
Old 07-05-2003, 03:00 AM

Attached Thumbnails diesel power-2.jpg  
Old 07-05-2003, 03:02 AM

Attached Thumbnails diesel power-3.jpg  
Old 07-05-2003, 03:03 AM

Attached Thumbnails diesel power-drives.jpg  
Old 07-05-2003, 03:04 AM

last
Attached Thumbnails diesel power-engines.jpg  
Old 07-05-2003, 07:41 AM
Registered

leviathan,
Looks great! I'm really liking this diesel boat thread. So you can get 71 out of that with twin 410 diesels.

If you can get 71 out of it, I would assume you could cruise at 60 all day long. Any idea how much feul you go through compared to others you boat with?

To everyone who following this thread:
Who sells diesels that work in marine applications?

I know Cummin and that was on the top of my list because for the money, I think I can get the most poer out of it. I browsed Yanmar but when I looked at the price of a surface drive and a Yanmar, I quickly go back to Cummins.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:58 AM

Groove, No I get 71mph with 325hp per side, cruising at 60 is the norm, as at that speed it runs real nice and level, if I run below 50 with all that weight in the arse it's prone to porpoising.(if it's a bit sloppy, which over here it normally is!) the boat was originally designed for triple outboards, so my wiesels are a bit heavy realy. it is only a 7' 1" beam
did a 350 mile round trip last year, averaged bang on 60mph, and burnt 20 IMP galls of fuel/hour (total for both motors) that's imp galls at 4.54 litres each as opposed to I think, 4 litres for us galls.
over the year it works out to about 7.5 galls/hour per engine.
WOT each motor burns 15 IMP galls/hour

these motors are pretty much identical to the peninsular range (based in detroit), they do a 340hp single turbo, and a 400hp bi-turbo. engine location (mounting points) are all identical to SB/BB petrol, so bell housing and front engine feet are as per mercruiser, you can even use the mercruiser installation jig for the rigging!

www.peninsulardiesel.com ask for Matt

Last edited by leviathan; 07-06-2003 at 02:52 AM.

Quick Reply: diesel power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.