Notices

bravo sand sucker, help!!

Old 07-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo sand sucker, help!!

i filled my sbc with sand last season from the low water pick on the bravo 1 drive, i tried to flush it out last fall and got most of it out but the left bank still will over heat up to 220 degrees then cools back down to 140 for just long enuff to climb back to 220. most of the sand is out of the risers and exhaust and the right bank is cool . its been out of the water now since fall so the sand should be dry,iv'e been blowing air throught the senser hole in the head and removed the freeze plugs but hav'nt blow out much sand any ideas ?
Old 07-02-2003, 04:41 PM
Registered

If you have gill exhaust your powder coat is flaking off the in side of the manifold's [in side the water jackets] blocking water flow . call if you need help 727/919-1280 john

Last edited by john buscema; 07-02-2003 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Registered

thanks john,i have imco powerflows and it's sand that is blocking somewhere thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 07:23 PM
Registered

bet your sea pump is in bad shape also, good luck on getting that sand out,
Old 07-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

replace the impeller, back flush all the hoses (ALL the hoses, every single one of them), back flush the oil cooler, take the exhaust OFF the motor before you put any water thru them. I had the same problem last fall. After the sand dried, I could turn the exhaust over and over and got a LOT of sand out of them. I'm running EMI and from what I understand, they are real similar to the IMCO (had some of them a while back too).
Old 07-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Registered

thanks,i had flushed all that stuff out last fall every thing was clear , it must be in the head somewhere but they are dart pro 1 aluminum and have no freeze plug holes like the stock heads.i blew air through the hole for the temp sensor and it seems clear but still heats up then down.i havent tried to keep running it for hours yet i'm about at that point,it's either take the chance and it clears out or screws something up and i tear it down anyway. damned if i do damned if i don't ya know?
Old 07-03-2003, 08:02 AM
Registered

Did you pull out the block drains and fish around in there with a piece of wire? You can do that with the motor running (if you have room in the bilge to stay away from the pulleys etc) to get sand from the bottom of the water jackets out.

-Greg
Old 07-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Registered

i pulled the plug out of that side and the temp drops when the motors running it must be clogged somewhere on the way out up to the risers because i,m getting good water flow thru the exhaust,i'll try fishing a wire through there, thanks