Notices

Power steering pump

Old 07-07-2003, 12:30 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a Power steering pump

Fellow member G-Force is looking for a used power steering pump for a Mark 4 502 with v-belt drive. If you have one or know of one drop us a line .

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by Bigwavz; 07-07-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Registered

Need to look through my parts box, I may have one for you.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:20 PM
CESSNA

MAN a rebuilt one at napa or auto zone is what the freight would be ,38.00 or close to it WTF

Old 07-07-2003, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

Hey Cessna,

I checked with my local parts store and they are available for 75.00 my wholesale cost but it does not have the pulley either. So then I need to find a pulley to go on that one. I prefer a used one that will just bolt right on. We are building complete engines for a boat that had nothing in it when we got it.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:19 PM
Registered

The pump usually is a GM power steering pump. There are 3 main parts- the reservior housing (black sheetmetal housing), the pulley sheave, and the pump body.

The reservior housings I know of come in 3 basic configurations-
The most common has a reserve section above the pump body that is kind of squared-off. The second type is a round pump housing with a seperate reserve section welded on that looks kind of like a bottle- it is actually tilted forward slightly, and was made to clear the huge cast A/C compressor bracket on big-block cars. The third is a round can with a hose nipple connecting to a seperate reserve- a mid 70's dually I had used that one.

The pump body is held into the reservior by several bolts/studs that pass through the reservior and screw into the back of the pump body. There are O-ring seals in a couple of these locations. There is also a check valve assembly with a large hex head that has to be removed. The pump should almost fall out when all the bolts, etc are out. Make sure they are out, or you will bend the housing and have leaks.

The pulley sheave is a press fit on the pump shaft. There is a tool which has 2 collar pieces with a locking sleeve. The collar pieces lock into and around a groove machined in the snout of the pulley, and are held in place by the sleeve. The sheave itself is formed from sheet steel, and is easily bent- a hammer and block of wood won't work for this job.

If you need a complete pump assembly with the pulley and reservior housing, get one at a junk yard. The last pump body I bought at NAPA was about 50$. They should also be able to loan you the puller, or buy one from harbor freight (about $15.00). You could also hook up with any GM mechanic and get the pulley swapped.

Good Luck
Bulldog aka ronnie
Old 07-08-2003, 10:13 AM
CESSNA

Default THANKS RONNIE MAYBE THAT WILL HELP

I CAN SEND A FACTORY PUMP IN BOX FOR 38.00 IF NEEDED ,JUST LET ME KNOW