Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1968 Switzer Shooting Star (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/54057-1968-switzer-shooting-star.html)

cuda 07-09-2003 08:37 PM

It's great to see someone that deals with boats everyday of his life still have the excitement hit him!:) Good luck with it, and be careful.

Magicfloat 07-09-2003 08:39 PM

No,no ,there are a few guys out there with V-6's on a Star,best speed I heard was 120 but BoB and Dave Switzer did not design this boat for that much horsepower,the boat was designed in the early 60's when the best we had was 100 hp Mercs. After running the boat today I did not think about more horsepower, I just thought how lucky I am to have a 35 year old boat that can run this fast with no power trim,no bilge pump,no stereo,no amenitiies.The Switzer brothers are the design genuises as far as I am concerned even today.

Smitty 07-09-2003 09:18 PM

That is a cool boat. Switzers used to be made not too far from where I live currently. Don't change that combo--it looks matched.

Roger 1 07-09-2003 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Too Old
That motor is the CORRECT motor for that boat.

It would be criminal to split that combination up.

83 mph in a 1968 boat!:D :D

What he said!:D

jpclear 07-10-2003 08:45 AM

We ran the first Shooting Stars we sold with Merc 1250 BP's. They barely nudged eighty on their best day although Merc tested one at Lake X that ran 81+ as I recall. The 1250 BP was essentially the for-runner of the Merc 1350. The BP lowers were less than dependable and Merc, recognizing the problem after 2 attempted upgrades, offered free adapters for anyone that wanted to buy a Speedmaster at cost and install it. That gave you a GREAT (though non shift-able) lower with that really wild megaphone style exhaust housing. Now THAT combo REALLY made those rigs come alive!! I remember the rush of running those babys in the late 60's - early 70's and kinda wish I could do it again. Congratulations!! --- Jer

Magicfloat 07-10-2003 08:59 AM

Jer my other Star that needs extensive restoration is a 1967 with a 1100SS and Quincy stacks. Will be awhile before I splash it. Might not be as fast as this one but the sound of a Quincy Stacker at full song is a sound that most have never experienced. It will also probrably get me arrested cause the Marine police decible meter will not read that high. It may shatter the windows in my house :)

Caincando1 07-10-2003 10:10 AM

Very cool, thanks for sharing!!!

BODYSHOT1 07-10-2003 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Magicfloat
No,no ,there are a few guys out there with V-6's on a Star,best speed I heard was 120 but BoB and Dave Switzer did not design this boat for that much horsepower,the boat was designed in the early 60's when the best we had was 100 hp Mercs. After running the boat today I did not think about more horsepower, I just thought how lucky I am to have a 35 year old boat that can run this fast with no power trim,no bilge pump,no stereo,no amenitiies.The Switzer brothers are the design genuises as far as I am concerned even today.
Magic..get in touch with T2x...he's a big fan of rigs such as this...he's restoring a Switzer Wing...

Congrats...cool ride!!

:cool:

Magicfloat 07-10-2003 01:05 PM

The Switzer Flying Wing is a different breed of cat (bad pun :) )Problem is there are maybe 5 or 6 left and in really bad shape plus you have to find not one but two matching motors which is tough.I found one I was going to buy until Karen said the divorce will cost more than the Wing. :)So I will settle for my pair of Shooting Stars. I cannot wait to see T2x's Wing when it is finished. I expect it will be an absolute masterpiece.

Flashback 07-10-2003 09:17 PM

Hey Magic, Thats a sweet looking ride. I first saw it when it was posted for sale on the Fiberglassics site. He must have posted it on several sites.

Congrats on the find!