Notices

PROPS Talk to me

Old 07-11-2003, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROPS Talk to me

I have Hydromotive 4 blades on my 42 Sonic (Tripp 500s) . Last year I had them lab finnished by Hill Propeller. Saw some improvments getting on plane, HUGE improvments in midrange, but lost a couple of MPH on top end. Now this year I see everyone going to 5 blades. whats the advantage. I would love to keep my crusing speed up, but get my top end back. any thoughts?
Old 07-11-2003, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why I'm reluctant to change much, because I cruse a lot more than top end.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same reason, from going from three blade to four. better hole shot , better cruising better top end. hang on a little while and wait for six blades.

it's nothing new. just new for brovos. they have had them for speedmasters for years.

Treadwell
Old 07-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran 2 different sets of 5 blades on a 35 Fountain lighting, standard gearcase length. Getting on plane was better, midrange crusing gained 4 mph over the 4 blade Hydro's, acceleration was better from 50 to 80, top end was about 3 mph slower than the 4 blades. Gary and Tom from Hydromotive said their were somethings they go do to get the top end close. Dont know how it would have effected the planning and midrange cruising. Work well on Cats and V's with high X 's They lockup alot harder when crusing and accelerating which makes me wonder if they are harder on the drive. Less slip more strain? Was looking at top end so I stayed with the 4 blades.