friday around 5pm.

Anybody know the facts?

I have some info. but don't want to
be spreading any, if unaccurate.

jt
Old 07-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad and unfortunate, it's hard to believe a 31' cruiser would swamp.

Woman drowns when boat goes down in Glaize with boat, drowns

Cruiser swamped by wakes on Grand Glaize Arm, passenger trapped in cabin

By Joyce L. Miller

LAKE OF THE OZARKS - A 35-year-old woman drowned when the cruiser she was on sank on the Grand Glaize Arm of Lake of the Ozarks.

According to the Missouri Water Patrol, the body of Wendy Gott of Barnhart, Mo., was recovered inside the cabin of the 31-foot Chris Craft about three hours after it sank near the 3-mile marker of the Glaize Friday.

The boat was outside the no-wake zone that stretches from the mouth of the Grand Glaize Arm to near the Moorings Yacht Club.

A Water Patrol spokesman said the boat was stopped in the main channel of the Grand Glaize when it was hit by a series of large wakes. The first wakes to hit the boat filled the engine compartment. The second round of wakes breaking over the boat caused it to sink stern first. Witnesses said the bow was pointing straight up as the boat sank.

A diver from a private company was brought in to help with recovery efforts. He said he found the stern resting in mud in about 70 feet of water. The bow was still pointing up.

Water Patrol officers said the description matched the sequence of events provided by seven people thrown from the boat when it started sinking.

The Water Patrol said the seven survivors were picked up by boaters who stopped to help.

Witnesses said the boat was idling when it started to take on water. They said waves rolling over the boat were over six feet high.

Efforts to re-start the engine failed as the compartment filled up. The passengers said there wasn't a lot of time between the first and second round of waves. Gott was apparently in the cabin and didn't get out in time.

The Water Patrol said the boat was coming from Party Cove headed toward the Grand Glaize Bridge.

Gott's is the third boating-related drowning of the season at Lake of the Ozarks.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

That's the way I heard it too.
Friends that were coming up on it
said it went down it about 20 seconds.
They also saw a deck type boat swamped
just leaving the cove.
I had my first experience with water coming
over the bow, when we were just past the
moorings, on the way in,
thanks to a 440 sea ray

Any bets they make it NO WAKE the whole
way in, on holiday's ??????

jt
Old 07-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is where I see it going......The deck boat probably was small enough that it was required to have flotation
Old 07-08-2003, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 403 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Cruisers on LOTO

You can expect more no wake areas on the Lake. Our neiborhood is starting the process to "No Wake" the cove. Everyone has had it with the cruisers who can't figure out what idle means. According to the Water Patrol officer we talked to, headquarters has considered making every cove on the Lake no wake and the whole Lake idle speed at night. What's next, 30 mph daytime speed limit????
Old 07-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Registered

Every cove and bay on Lake Havasu is now a no wake zone due to sinking boats by inconsiderate boaters..

I bet you it is comming to you guys at LOTO. Too bad I have never been there, but we are planning a trip next memorial day.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I saw an article on this. The boat was out of the cove in the channel. Apparently it was off plane when a wave came over the stern and swamped the engines. A second one came over and pushed the transom under thus sinking it. 6 people survived and the lady that died was in the cabin. Naturally nobody had life preservers on-but why would they? This incident will be used as the reasoning behind extended no wake zones, but in reality it sounds more like a freek incident. Anybody that is off plane down there is going to be hurting. This past spring we got towed by a 30' Formula. The water was so rough that the transom actually went under water because the wave face was so steep. When I saw green water on his back deck, I told my wife to get the knife out so I could cut the line if things went wrong.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Registered

Are boat drivers responsible for the own wakes at LOTO? I'm pretty sure on the Mississippi boat captains are responsible for your own wake. If you damamge property whether it be on shore or on the water you are responsible. I'm not saying this is right but we see cruisers digging along even in wake areas were they probably shouldn't be causing all kinds of close calls. No way to point the finger at one boat that caused this but to me some no wake areas seem like a good idea.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
I believe you are responsible for your boat wake no matter where you boat in the USA.
If so, they sure don't enforce it at LOTO!!

The problem is that people started complaining about noise of all the performance boat's, So the Water Patrol really cracked down on all loud performance boat's, So then the people with performance boat's said to heck with it and bought BIG Cruisers and sold their performance Boat's.......That's why the performance boat market at LOTO is and has been soft lately......It's also why we are seeing the Biggest water of all time's at LOTO!!!.......The future doesn't look good!!

I know one thing, if the lake is Idle speed at night, then the nightclub's are going to take a huge hit!!....It's 20 miles from where I stay to Shooter's....At Idle speed....I don't think so!!! I'll stay home!!!
Old 07-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Registered

If the average boater could just buy some common sense when they buy these big boats we wouldn't have these problems

Quick Reply: Boat sinking at LOTO ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.