Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Computer guru's....help??? >

Computer guru's....help???

Notices

Computer guru's....help???

Old 07-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Foul: Do what I said, please. Report your numbers, please.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Registered

Did you say 64 Megs of memory? Well, there you go. Not enough by a long shot. To watch this page, which doesn't have many pictures at all, Internet Explorer alone uses 27.3 Megs of memory.

Currently, my computer uses 237 Megs in total.

64 Megs was barely enough for Win 3.1 ten years ago.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Mr. Demeanor

Download and run Spybot. You can get it here:
http://www.webattack.com/get/spybot.shtml

You might be suprised to find out whats really running on your computer. IN the advanced settings, you can also set your startup programs.
Every time I go to the weather chanells website, they try and download spyware. There are other programs that find it on your computer, but Spybot is free and bocks it before its downloaded.

Old 07-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

downloaded the spybot program. Won't run....says a .DLL file is missing. WTF??
Old 07-13-2003, 08:56 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

peconic, call me please.

616-243-4805. I have to log off for you to do that though.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:59 PM
Registered

Ok, talked to Foul. Windows 95 with 64 Megs. Lots of disk activity during slowdown. Definitely a low memory issue. There's probably crap running in the background, but no way of telling from afar. Task Manager apparently wasn't a feature under Win95. Spybot won't install.

Recommended to invite a nerd friend, give him some chips and a Pepsi and have him add a stick of memory.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:37 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, AFTER doing a scan disk and defrag, you should be able to find this under start menurograms:accessories:system tools
right click on 'My Computer' icon on hte desktop, click on properties then 'Performance'. It should tell you 'System Resources' in use. if it is less then 50% you have alot of background running programs.have you dowloaded anything lately from someone or something you do not know?
Hate to think of added programs
you can also go to your control pannel and then to add and remove programs. If you see anyhitng in there you dont know aobut, remove it.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Registered

Win 95 does have a task manager, well sort of. Pressing CTRL - ALT - DEL at the same time gives a list of programs running (not processes) If it worked OK a week or two ago and no major upgrades to IE or other programs I doubt memory alone will be the issue. I agree 64 MB is not much but win95 does not take advantage of memory as well as the newer OS's Most likely you have a corupt swap file which would affect any memory intense program. Another possibility is the registry has gotten bogged down with lots of junk from programs or as was mentioned the disk is getting very full. Adding memory is still a good idea just to avoid some swapping of memory to disk.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:49 PM
Registered

God, I hate to think what could be wrong. If I remember right, Win95 had three kinds of resources, and if they were gone, all the memory in the world wouldn't save your butt.

I stand by my recommendation to buy a nerd friend a bag of chips and a Pepsi. He'll figure it our in 5 minutes.

Anything more from our end would just drive Foul foulmouthed.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As much as I hate to say it, it almost sounds like he just needs to give that puter up. It will cost just as much to bring that thing up to speed as it would to buy a new one. I know $ doesnt grow on trees but a new Dell 2.2 ghz, 128mb is 499. It almost sounds like he has a 586 or a 133 puter. Enough to do the word processor stuff but not enough to keep up with the tech advancements

Quick Reply: Computer guru's....help???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.