Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Status on Lake Mead???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/54411-status-lake-mead.html)

DEVIL MAN 07-14-2003 04:22 PM

Status on Lake Mead????

The gang at SCOPE is thinking about a Lake Mead trip but the current water levels scare the hell out of us. We know it is a deep lake but our two main concerns are the launch ramp facility at Callville Marina...can we launch 42 foot offshore boats there without any problem???? Is it gravel or pavement??? The guys do not want to thrash their equipment so we need some solid, honest answers...especially from BurtandNancy!!!!

Are we going to regret this trip if we go??? There will probably be ten boats going so there will be 10 pissed off boatheads if things are not in good shape!!!

Will we be able to tie our boats up at the dock at Callville Bay???

What about the park rangers and the noise levels of our exhaust???

Who out there can fill us in????? Your word and reputation will be on the line!!!

DMan...and the D is for we want plenty of DOCK space!!!!

scarabrick 07-14-2003 05:29 PM

Give Shane a call at Offshore Marine 702-567-0990

He's a good friend of mine and also the service manager.

Tell him Rick Borba told you to call.

TulsaLarry 07-14-2003 05:45 PM

Callville Bay
One lane is open on the north side and five are open on the south side. There is a lengthy walk from the parking areas to the launch ramp. Please note there is on-going construction at the Callville launch ramp. At least 1/3 of the lanes will be open at all times and no work will be done on weekends or holidays.
http://www.nps.gov/lame/station/news/030709.html

Von Bongo 07-14-2003 07:59 PM

Re: Status on Lake Mead????

Originally posted by DEVIL MAN
...can we launch 42 foot offshore boats there without any problem????
Someone step up and buy a 47 Fountain??

Come to LOTO the water is fine, you would have a much better time here anyway.

THe D is for stay outtathe DESERT!!!

burtandnancy 07-14-2003 08:31 PM

dman, well I just got back from Mead this AM. Five of the hottest days I have ever seen! They admitted to 120! You would cruise across various bays or the narrows and then hit hot spots.
You know, nearly all the ramps are in poor condition, the nice ones are too flat to get a large boat off your trailer without submerging your truck completely. Its a tough choice and I hate to recommend one way or other. Some of the beach's are better than ever, some are rocky. I'm just glad I'm in a slip on a hydro-hoist. Also, the walk from any of the courtesy docks to the parking lots can be fatal without a shuttle. Sorry I can't be more encouraging...

WILDTHING TAZ 07-14-2003 09:07 PM

I WAS THERE LAST FALL AND WILL NOT GO BACK!!!! I GOT MY TRAILER HUNG IN THE MUD AT CALLVILLE.37 OUTERLIMITS PULLED BY A F550 4 DOOR.MY BED WAS UNDER WATER!! GO TO HAVASU IT'S A BLAST.MEAD IS NOT WORTH IT NO MATTER WHAT'S GOING ON. YOU WILL ONLY TAKE A CHANCE ON TEARING UP YOUR EQUIPMENT. RON BENDER

turbosonic1 07-14-2003 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DAP,

Just read and look!

Nevada water official says Lake Mead will likely slip to ``drought alert"
May 2003
U.S. Water News Online
LAS VEGAS -- Lake Mead's water level likely will slip to ``drought alert'' status by the end of the year and could create an emergency water shortage by 2005, according to a Southern Nevada Water Authority official.
Deputy Chief Kay Brothers told board members the snowpack on the western slopes of the Rocky Mountains isn't deep enough to put an end to the worst drought in more than a century.
Lake Mead, fed by the Colorado River and the source of southern Nevada's drinking water, has dropped 60 feet in the last two years, to its lowest level since 1972.
Much of the March snowstorm that dumped up to 7 feet of snow and paralyzed parts of Colorado missed the western slope. Scientists now expect the resulting runoff this year to be 62 percent of normal.
``We'll be in emergency in a year or two if we don't get normal or above runoff,'' Brothers said after the meeting.
A National Weather Service official said it will take a few years of improved snowpack conditions before the Colorado River system can recover.
``In order for us to get out of the drought, we're going to have to have substantial rains and snows in the western Rockies probably for three or four consecutive years,'' said Kim Runk, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service.
About 8.2 million acre feet of water will flow this year into Lake Mead, while 9.5 million acre feet will be released from Lake Mead to meet water demands downstream, Brothers said.
The difference of more than 1 million acre feet will put the lake's surface elevation at or below the 1,145-foot mark, which would trigger a ``drought alert.''
An acre foot is about 326,000 gallons, or enough water to meet the needs of an average family of five for a year.
The lake would have to drop another 20 feet, down to the 1,125-foot mark, to create a drought emergency.
With Lake Mead's surface currently at 1,151 feet, and the reservoir at 64 percent of its capacity, the Las Vegas area is already under drought-watch conditions.
Under a drought plan adopted by the Southern Nevada Water Authority, golf courses will soon be restricted from using more than 7 acre feet of water a year. If Las Vegas moves into a ``drought alert,'' it will force courses to cut use even more, to 5.7 acre feet of water a year.
Likewise, the plan calls for increased enforcement of existing restrictions on daytime lawn watering from May through August. It allows watering only every other day in September and October; once per week from November through February; and every other day in March and April.
Lake Mead water level allows repair work
Lake Mead's water level is at its lowest level in three decades, so National Park Service officials are seizing the opportunity to repair boat launch ramps in the recreation area.
About $6.5 million in park entrance fee revenues will be used beginning this month to reconstruct ramps at nine locations on the lake, according to a Park Service statement. The work will include the removal of existing asphalt at the ramps and replacing it with grooved concrete.
The Southern Nevada Water Authority (SNWA) and its member agencies take steps to educate the community and encourage conservation as Southern Nevada experiences its fourth year of drought.

The SNWA introduced its Drought Plan at public meetings in response to drought conditions experienced throughout the western United States. In Southern Nevada, Lake Mead has dropped 60 feet in the last two years due to greatly reduced snowpack in the Rocky Mountains, the water source of the Colorado River. In Southern Nevada, 85 percent of the water we use comes from the Colorado River.

The Drought Plan was developed by the SNWA and its member agencies with input from more than 100 stakeholders at meetings including homeowners, golf courses, landscapers, developers and businesses. The Drought Plan outlines three phases of drought conditions:
· Drought Watch
· Drought Alert
· Drought Emergency
Each phase is determined by the level of Lake Mead and consists of increasingly stringent conservation measures. The first phase, Drought Watch, may be in place as early as this summer. In addition, the SNWA plans to:

Launch a comprehensive public education campaign consisting of advertising, events, articles and other communications in March
Appoint a citizens advisory committee this spring to address conservation and drought as well as recommend conservation measures for the Drought Emergency phase.
Each board of the seven SNWA member agencies will consider the Drought Plan at one of their public meetings this spring. The Drought Plan will serve as the blueprint for Southern Nevada water providers.

Water providers will handle enforcement in their respective communities. The SNWA encourages voluntary compliance from the community.

In accordance with the Drought Plan, new developments will be restricted in the use of grass for new homes and commercial businesses. Homeowners with existing grass will not be required to remove it but will be offered increased incentives to convert to water efficient landscaping.

DEVIL MAN 07-15-2003 12:16 PM

I have a major problem fella's!!!! First of all, I want to thank my friends for some good quality advice!!! You guys are great and I really appreciate everyone's input...except for one person!!!! See, you guys give me good honest feedback from the heart and soul but the Big Poodle Turbosonic has to send me some article out of a magazine describing the dumb ass ice pack and how polar bears will become extinct by the year 2005 unless it rains enough to float Noah's Ark!!! Turbo...you could have just said that the other guys have it nailed and lets not do the trip!!!! But not you Turbo, I need to get out my reading glasses and try to figure out what a micrometer is all about!!! You are a DAP!!!!

The bottom line is that you guys have put enough of a discouraging spin on Mead that we should avoid the possible hassle and problems.

Thanks again everybody!!!

DMan...and the D is for Don't Dunk the boat in Mead cause it will create a Disaster and Lyall will Die from the walk to the parking lot!!!!

daveo1 07-15-2003 12:59 PM

how does temple bar launching look?

TulsaLarry 07-15-2003 01:03 PM

Temple Bar and South Cove
The launch ramps are currently under reconstruction. At least 1/3 of the lanes will be open at all times and no work will be done on weekends or holidays. There is typically no waiting line for launching. The concessioner at Temple Bar offers shuttle service for boaters from the ramp to the parking areas.
http://www.nps.gov/lame/station/news/030709.html