Notices

What A Gift!

Old 07-13-2003, 06:02 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up What A Gift!

It has been about a year now since my Dad had his heart attack. He has recovered great.
While he was in the hospital I told him he had to pull through. He hadn't been in my new boat yet.
So last night I called him and told him to stop by for one of his birthday presents in the morning.

He was thrilled to hear he was finally going for a ride.
I took it real easy and the conditions were great this morning. Just before approaching the Seaside bridge I bumped her up from 45mph to 71mph.
I said there you go, 1 mile per hour for each year!
On our way back I ran him up to 75. A few more extra to hold you over....
It just about brought tears to his eyes remembering back when I was only 7 and he was teaching me the real way to pass under the route 88 bridge in the Point Pleasant Canal.
It was ironic that I had my wife and two daughters out last night on the boat and we ended up at the Wherlin Bros. Marina for dinner at Ann's Place. I basically grew up in that marina.
Amazing how things come around full circle...
I couldn't think of a better way to start his birthday than that.
Now I need to try to get him on a Poker Run. He loves cards!
Attached Images  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 07-13-2003, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to take my dad out before he gets too old for me to do the mile for each year thing.

Sounds like a great day. Glad all is well.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad isn't really into boating, but he loves to fish. I take him as often as I can (which isn't nearly enough) and my older brother also takes him. He is 76 and just a couple weeks ago was diagnosed with prostate cancer. This was just before he and my mother were to leave on vacation to Oregon for six weeks. After consulting with doctors, and me, he decided to get a shot to shrink the prostate for the next 3 months, at which time they will begin daily radiation therapy for 3 months. He took the shot, the next day he and my mother loaded up the motorhome, and he is right now catching trout in the mountains of Oregon with my uncle.

I have always wanted to grow up to be half the man he is, and I'm still trying.
Attached Thumbnails What A Gift!-dad-manatee.jpg  
Old 07-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Big E

Sharkey - I would give anything to have the opportunity you had with your Pop. My Dad didn't make it to the millenium, he died December 31, 1999 at 2:15 pm at the young age of 67, New Years will never be the same for me. I would give anything to take him for a ride. He loved boats and tought me everything I know about them. Cherish the time you have with him.

Old 07-13-2003, 08:40 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Take advantage of the time you can spend with your parents. I lost my Dad when I was 9 years old and miss him everyday. Mom won't go out in the go fast boats so I'm looking for a houseboat or pontoon boat so I can take her out for a leisurely ride around the bay.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:55 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally posted by cuda
My dad isn't really into boating, but he loves to fish.
My dad loves to fish as well. He cherishes the 20 ft center console I built for him in 1985 to this day.
That was one thing he said as he looked around. "This boat doesn't leave you much room to fish, but that's ok....."
He was just looking back and seeing how far we both came over the years.

Old 07-14-2003, 06:22 AM
FWK

My Dad was a lifelong boater also. never got a ride in this boat. One of the reasons I have never gotten rid of it. The last day he was home I was cleaning it up. I look back now and I remember the look in his eyes. Like it was the last time he would see me work on the boat. He never came home, he died 2 weeks later in the hospital. He was supposed to come home that day. He also gave me my first boat at the age of 5. I still miss him.

Old 07-14-2003, 06:44 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Sorry to hear that FWK...

Old 07-14-2003, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my dad out last year on mY Sunsation. He loved it. But after 2 O-Limits came by at about 100 Mph he looked at me and said DAMN Your boat is slow!