Any experience/recommendations for Hydraulic hatch lifts

Old 07-15-2003, 08:17 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any experience/recommendations for Hydraulic hatch lifts

Hi:

I have had it with my electric hatch lift, want to replace it with a hydraulic system. I recall seeing some parts for this somewhere, but can't recall where.

Has anyone done this? Thoughts about it? Good? Bad? Recommended parts?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 08:23 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

The factory setup on new Sonics is pretty nice. I have twin rams on either side of my single motor. My biggest complaint is that they are slow. The installation looks easy, and very clean with just one dual conductor wire going to the base of each ram. If you give Offshore Performance a call in MD, they can price what you need. A buddy of mine was going to add the same system onto his Checkmate, but he sold it too fast. Be prepared for sticker shock though.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:09 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

There is absolutly nothing difficult about such a system. Get a trim pump motor (they are by oildyne) and a aluminum hydraulic ram. A 1-1/2" would be the biggest one you'd want. A good commercial hydraulic supply house could help you out. Try to stick with an aluminum ram because of weight issues.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:12 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Yes, Sydwayz the set up on the 26 is good,I don't like the single middle ram on the Sonic 30 though. The ram rarely lifts the hatch without me spreadeagled between the switch and using my foot to help raise the hatch. Somet5imes not even then. I have replaced three hatch rams and it still is no good.

Thanks Cord, do you have one on your boat? Does Imco or someone else sell a complete system? I don't want to do a custom job if at all possible.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:53 AM
Registered

You can buy electric ones that will lift upto 1000# off the shelf. If you need more than that your enigne hatch needs a diet. Look at www.mcmaster.com or http://www.powerdrives.com/electrak/

-Greg
Old 07-15-2003, 12:12 PM
Registered

I've encountered this on a number of occasions where the electric hatch is sloooooowwwww. It's usually on dual ram systems but I've seen it on a single. The fix is pretty easy and the problem usually stems from low voltage to the motors. It requires a relay that will reverse polarity (we had to custom build one) and some re-wiring. We had a customer that had an Advantage Cat with slow dual rams and was ready to go to hydraulic hatch hinges. We put this on and he can now use it as a catapult.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Registered

I have the Dana hydraulic hatch hinges on my boat and they are great. There is no ram to deal with and the hatch opens and closes pretty fast. Go to www.danamarineproducts.com for more info. Here's a pic..

Old 07-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

IMCO does have a new billet trim ram. I believe the fountains use the alpha ram with a fancy bracket to raise their hatches. Maybe they can custom make one that would work for your application. Maxx also had a contact that made some custom rams for him.

If you have the wiring correct (14g min) then you'll proably need to tear the ram down and lubricate the screw. That'll get you back up.

CBR-no. I actually don't have a hatch on my boat. The ram that I do have is electric. I went through this a while back when I was shopping. It really won't be a custom system. Get a ram that is the same length of your stock one. Stay away from a tie rod system because of the looks. Aluminum is pretty hard to find, but the system won't exceed 800 psi so it's doable. You'll proably need new mounts-those would need to be custom if you want them to be pretty. The pump, wiring and hoses are all nothing special. You can use braided brake line for a stainless braided look. Just be sure to polish the ram-I like eye candy. You won't find this stuff down at the local hardware store, but it's all very doable.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Registered

dana hinges are nice
i think the kits a $1000 bucks

i opted for the boat pole
had the motor lock up on my baja
had to pry my hatch open
formula had a better set up
at least you could still open it if the motor failed

cardoctor
Old 07-15-2003, 02:13 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Thanks for the pictures and info guys. Steamin rice --Looks sharp! I called dana and they were worried about the leverage required to lift my fighting chair etc. on the hatch.

www.gone I think you hit the nail on the head. With new batteries, it works much better. But, even with fully charged batteries after a while, it does not. Can't keep buying new batteries.

Do you recall how you built the relay system?

Last edited by CBR; 07-15-2003 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Any experience/recommendations for Hydraulic hatch lifts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.