Notices

Question for Hot Duck

Old 07-17-2003, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well Said

The group at OSO can supply enough information and collaboration to put this guy away. Years of cons and fraud will show a trait that a prosecutor may take a shot at this guy. Buckk
Old 07-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Chickracer : Thank you for the info and the compliment on the boat. I think that I am lucky because I have not paid for the engine work yet. Obviously, I had to own the boat before making any changes, so that deal is done. I purchased the boat and have the bill of sale and title for it.

Once the actual sale was done, I left it there to get the engines rebuilt. I thought that it would be a cheap insurance policy against having engine problems over the summer. Besides, Todd offered a warranty with the rebuilt engines. It sounded good at the time and I did not have any bad news about the company when I left the boat there.

I hope that all comes out OK. I will certainly let you all know either way. As I have said on the board before, I personally have no reason not to trust Todd, but all of these stories are really making me start to wonder. I asked Todd about them and why he has not replied. He simply said that he has better things to do with his time. Maybe so, but a lot of damage is being done to the reputation of both Todd and his company. If my results with him are good then I will certainly say that, but if my results are bad I will tell you guys that too.

Last edited by Hot Duck; 10-05-2003 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Coddigtion

I hope that it all works out HD

Old 07-18-2003, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Too Old
That's flawed thinking. I would encourage Todd to address all these allegations. What's it going to take? twenty minutes?

How better could a man spend his time than defending his reputation and that of his business? His silence will have a profound influence on his business.

Address the issues now Todd or soon you'll have plenty of time on your hands.
How true !
Old 07-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Folks .... there is a reoccuring theme here that is really unfortunate !!! Hate to say this about anyone , but I wouldn't buy a pair of shoes from these guys just from what I've heard !!!

Even if the stories aren't all true ... ANYTHING that would make me think twice about a shop will keep me away.

JM
Old 10-02-2003, 12:59 PM
NoWake Zone

AS you can see I'm a new member to OSO. I surf this site a lot and its a great resource for info.

Unfortunately before I got involved with this company I didnt ask for advise from the OSO members. Otherwsie I could have saved alot of $$$$.

Looking at the last date posted here I'm guessing this may be a dead issue to most. But I'll ask any way.

Does any one have anything new to report on Todd ? Is he still operating at Hawk Power ? When was the last time anyone has any contact with him personally ?

$7000 later, and can't get him to return phone calls, faxes, or email. (In fact my email bounces back). His secretary tells me he can't come to the phone or he is out at the moment.

I have heard rumors he is working at a few different places but have nothing factual to go on. Can anyone confirm ?

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Registered

This thread will be of much interest to you

link to thread
Old 10-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I agree. Check out that link and it will pretty well explain everything. In case you missed it on that thread, here is the post explaining my last dealing with Todd and Hawk Power...........

The Following Was Copied From The Hawk Power Thread And Was Originally Posted In Late August

Hey guys. I am not someone to bad mouth somebody, but since you asked, I'll just tell you my story and you can make your own judgment.

We went to pick up the Apache at Hawk Power a few weeks ago. It was supposed to be ready, but it was not. The engines were not in the boat and none of the other minor things we wanted changed were touched. To top it off, the boat was absolutely filthy and covered with a light mist of paint over spray.

To make a long story short, I decided that the boat was leaving there that day, no matter what. Todd was in and out of the shop running errands so my race partner and I grabbed two of the guys in the shop and bolted the engines in just so that we could transport the boat. We collected all of our miscellaneous parts, wrapped them in blankets and rolled out.

We moved the boat to Tres @ Martin Marine. His guys pulled the engines and yanked off the 3 speed trannies that Todd tried to put in there. We ordered a pair of Huber 1350's to replace Todd's trannies, which is what Todd was supposed to use in the first place according to our sales contract. The engines were then sent to Carolina Racing to be checked out.

Initially, the crew @ Carolina racing was just going to run the engines on a dyno and do some basic testing to see what kind of shape the engines were in. I also asked them to pull the valve covers and oil pans to visually inspect the engines. After doing this, we decided it was safer for the engines not to put them on the dyno. Hawk Power did rebuild the engines (new bearings and a new crank were found), but they cut as many corners as possible and used some questionable parts, as far as quality goes. Here is a list of what we found. The valve springs were rusty, the new crank was a piece of sh*t, the head work consisted of a simple glass beading, the block needed to be bored due to minor pits and imperfections in the cylinder walls, the oil cooler installed was entirely too small, the ignition installed was out of a car and not a marine ignition, the intercooler had bent fins and was corroded inside, the water plumbing on the engine was not correct, the carbs had not been rebuilt as we had asked, etc...

Oh yea, one other thing. Todd had moved the engine mounts forward so that he could stick his trannies in there, but then some of the engine accessories would not fit because of the bulkhead. Also, because the engines were moved forward, the engine hatch would not fit b/c the carbs would not fit up into the air scoops. CRAZY!!! When we put the engines in to move it out of Hawk Power, we had to remove the accessories on the front of the engines so that we could bolt them in place. Then we had to remove the front carb on each engine to bolt on the engine hatch. Unbelievable.

Anyhow, the boat is coming along really well at Martin. Tres has a detailer to remove the over spray. Most of it can be done using clay bricks. This is a job on a 45' boat. Everything, I mean EVERYTHING needs to be bricked to remove the over spray...top deck, hull sides, dash, gages, interior, transom, drives, tabs...etc.....not to mention the trailer. The engines are coming along at Carolina Racing. They should begin the rebuild process in the next few days. Basically, we are trashing all of the old parts and building the engines correctly. The crew at Martin is going to clean up the engine room and repaint it if necessary. They are also going to do a few other odds and ends.

So, when I finally get the boat back on the water, it will be right. It does, however, look like the paint job and cabin will have to wait a while. No big deal. I would rather do it right while we are doing it than have to come back to fix problems later.

To sum up this whole bit*h session that I just wrote, Hawk Power butchered the boat. The boat was in better shape when I left it there than when I picked it up. On the bright side, the boat is in good hands now and is coming along pretty well. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Now for the update. The boat is looking great. Tres and his crew gutted the engine room, filled and glassed the extra holes that Todd had drilled, sanded the entire room to perfection and then laid down a fresh coat of paint. They have since put everything back into place and the engine room is ready.

The engines are still in rehab at Carolina Racing. We decided to trash all of Todd's crap and start fresh. The blocks are being machined back to perfection. The heads are being machined and rebuilt with brand new components. The cranks, cams, bearings, pistons, intercoolers, oil coolers, tranny coolers, ignitions, etc... are all being replaced with brand new parts. The carbs and blowers are being torn down and completely refurbished and rebuilt. All of the home made accessory brackets that Todd made are being replaced. And to top it off, the engines are going to be dressed up with some cosmetic items to make them look good again (ie..nice flame arrestors, valve covers, stainless lines, braided hoses, etc...).

Back to the boat itself. Tres had a detailer come in and remove all of the paint overspray. This job alone took the better part of 4 days. As I mentioned before, there was paint overspray on EVERYTHING! Luckily, the overspray came off of everything, including the cockpit interior. Now the boat is nice and clean again.

As for other changes, they are just minor things for now. We are adding a gps/chart plotter to to the dash, adding/rearranging some gages, installing an auto halon system, repairing some chips and dings and changing a few other small odds and ends.

The next major project surrounding the boat will be the rehab/replacement of the trailer. I am hoping to rehab the current trailer rather than replace it because it has the potential to be a really nice setup. It is a tandem dually with boxes, a fresh water tank, a wash down/flush system and a fuel tank for a generator. As long as the trailer is structurally sound, we are good to go.

After the trailer is done, we will turn back to the boat. The next steps will be a cabin and a paint job. This will definitely be at the end of next season, at the earliest. Right now there is only a small cushion directly under the dash and the rest of the bow is empty. I think that a cabin similar to the "cover girl" cabin offered by Cigarette would fit the need perfectly. As for the paint, right now the graphics are 100% vinyl. Some days I like it and other days it looks too busy to me. At least the option is there to peel it all off and go plain white until we can paint it. We'll see.

Overall, the project is coming along pretty well, now that the boat is in good hands at Martin Marine. Judging by the way that the work has gone so far, there is no doubt that the boat will be back at Martin when it comes time for the rest of the work. For now, I just can't wait to get the engines back so that we can run it. Every day we get a little closer!

Tres has a few pictures of the project on his web site. The ones there right now were taken when the boat first came to his shop. There will be updated pics added to the site in the next few days. If you want to check them out, click the link below and then click on "projects." It is the 45 Apache. As always, thanks for the interest and I will certainly keep you all posted as we make progress.

Will

Martin Rigging

Last edited by Hot Duck; 10-03-2003 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:22 AM
Registered

It really sucks that you had to get tangled up with that thief but when all is said and done you are going to have a SWEET boat. You don't have to worry about running into someone on the water with the same boat, that's for sure!!

I think the graphics look good from the pictures but it is hard to get an idea without seeing it in person. Good luck on the rest of the project, at least you can sleep at night knowing it is in good hands now!!!

Quick Reply: Question for Hot Duck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.