Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Challenger 21 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/54930-challenger-21-a.html)

JnT 07-20-2003 09:05 PM

Challenger 21

Quite a few of you have posted that these are the best 21 ft boats. What other companies besides Superboat have built this hull?I would also be interested in hearing testimonials from owners of these boats on build quality of the different brands and handling characteristics etc.Thank you!

Philip 07-20-2003 10:06 PM

The biggest 21' boat ever built.

I can only say, that it is the biggest 21' boat you will ever have. I was fortunate enough to have a George Linder Challenger, built by Shadow, and years later a 21' built by Superboat on Long Island. The 21' Challenger is the best running 21' offshore boat you will ever run. As an Outboard it is balanced perfectly. The Challenger was built with the best material and hardware that money could buy. Fast, tough, and just awesome in the rough stuff. T2x can tell you much more. If we are lucky he will pop in on this thread.

Philip

21 Hustler 07-20-2003 11:42 PM

Hustler aquired the other mold from challenger and superboat has the other one. Hustler makes the 21 but they have only made 2. I have the one pictured on the website with the flames and it is amazing. I have a 6.2 with a whipple supercharger on it pumpin about 500 hp. I am currently testing props and i will be in the 87-90 mph range. Real solid boat, crushes and chop that is in its path. Love it and so does everyone else that see's it

Justin

Offshore Addiction 07-21-2003 05:36 AM

mark at activator has the mold also and did a custom one for one of my customers last year,he did a bowrider version that came out absolutly beautiful,with a stock 225 EFI shes running around 70 mph,I rigged it with the best of everything,and the customer is just jumpin with joy!and we can get these things fully cord at a really great price in any color....and we have all the upholstry patterns for the bowrider,and the cool thing about it is that it triples the size of the boat......we have a ton of pictures and the boat available for a test ride!

JnT 07-21-2003 04:19 PM

In a post way back someone said the Apache 21 was also very similar to this bottom.Is this fact or fiction?

Philip 07-21-2003 04:31 PM

I think it is

I am sure the bottom is the same, but the deck is changed. I sort of remember T2x addressing this a while back.

Philip

T2x 07-21-2003 04:51 PM

George Linder's Challenger original molds........there were two sets in total.

One set went to Shadow......and finally was sold a few months ago to Wesley Werner on Long Island. He did an outstanding job of refinishing the hull mold and built a new deck mold.

The second set went to Superboat, and I believe they are still there.

T2x

Magicfloat 07-21-2003 05:05 PM

Tho not a complete hull mold,George sold Bob Hammond a running surface plug around 1978,this was when people paid people for their talents,doesn't happen a lot. The 1979 Hammond/Challenger was a legitimate Linder design,Bob paid him for the running surface. There are 2 at our shop now,one rough,one perfect, but still never equalled.

T2x 07-21-2003 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Magicfloat
Tho not a complete hull mold,George sold Bob Hammond a running surface plug around 1978,this was when people paid people for their talents,doesn't happen a lot. The 1979 Hammond/Challenger was a legitimate Linder design,Bob paid him for the running surface. There are 2 at our shop now,one rough,one perfect, but still never equalled.
That is correct Magic........

Now about those engines..........

I wonder how a Wing would run with a 1250 on one side and a Quincy looper on the other?

:p :p

T2x

fastedy 07-21-2003 07:10 PM

John Coen (Superboat), redesigned a new deck last year to accomodate a higher X for I/O's for the 21, and it is beautiful, check it out on his home page, check it out. www.superboatonline.com

Eddie