Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OSO Opinions Requested: Go Big Or Go Home? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/55124-oso-opinions-requested-go-big-go-home.html)

BajaFresh 07-22-2003 03:39 PM

OSO Opinions Requested: Go Big Or Go Home?

I am thinking about upgrading to a 29’ Baja Outlaw SST with twin 454 mags but I have some concerns and I’d like to hear opinions from all you with experience.

I have a 20” Baja Outlaw now and I love the boat but want more power and size (don’t we all!). The boat has a little over 20 hours on it now (just got back from Havasu). The 29 is a 2001 and looks to be in great condition (I would, of course, get a survey done prior to purchase) and I think the price is very good and the seller is willing to take my boat in trade.

I originally was thinking 24’-27’ with single power would be my next step. It would be easier to tow and store. I am tight on storage space and don’t want to have to pay for storage. My 2001 GMC Sierra C3 will tow 10K lbs and I can pull my boat up any hill with no slow down. I’m thinking a 24’ to 27’ would weigh around 7K lbs with trailer. Single power would be cheaper to maintain and run. It would also be cheaper to purchase and insure.

I don’t have a lot of bigger boat experience so the 24 to 27 would be easier to handle. Although I don’t have any problems with my 20’ and can slide it up to a dock or in a slip with ease. I can also launch and trailer it by myself. I had no problems trailering it on the river in strong current; in fact the current seemed to make it easier. I don’t want to go too big though and not feel comfortable operating something I paid some much money for.

On the other hand, a 29 would have a very smooth ride, especially in the ocean. It has twin power so you have a back up engine. It has way more room for passengers and gear. It has the potential for higher speeds. I know that if I get a 24 to 27 I will eventually want to go bigger. Oh yeah, and it is just a b*tchin’ boat!

Or I could just keep my little 20 footer for a couple years and hot rod it with cam, exhaust, Procharger, prop, etc.

The opinions of you experienced OSO sea dogs will be greatly appreciated!

SummerObsession 07-22-2003 03:47 PM

If you can store it, go for the 29. As far as operating a boat with twins, it is way easier to dock and manuever, it just takes a little practice.
One thing to remember is that you're going to burn at least twice as much fuel!
If you are even thinkiing of going on the ocean, definitely get as big of a boat as you can. You will not regret it!

I love the looks of the Outlaw 20's, they look like a cool rig! Would love to own one with a 500 efi and ITS, that would be the sh*t!

Just noticed you're at Simi Valley, my best bud from high school lives there. Nice place.

BajaFresh 07-22-2003 03:52 PM

SO:

I have run in the ocean with my 20 and that's why I want to go bigger. Going out again this Sunday and may get the chance to pilot one of the othe bigger boats.

I love the look of my 20 too. I was also thinking the same thing, slap in an all aluminum BBC and haul ass! If I can't cut through the waves with a bigger boat I'll just fly over them! :D

Simi is a great palce to live. Is your bud a boat guy?

Clay Washington 07-22-2003 03:57 PM

Baja Fresh,

You have the same problem as me. I currently own a 22-foot Crownline with a 600+hp engine. This boats is awesome on smooth water. However, on the weekends it can be a very rough ride. So I am selling it and going bigger.

I don't know what my next boat will be, but I can tell you this... If you go for anything less than a 29-foot boat, you will probably be trading up again in a couple of years. :(

Go as big as you can. You will not be disappointed.

SummerObsession 07-22-2003 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Baja Fresh
SO:

I have run in the ocean with my 20 and that's why I want to go bigger. Going out again this Sunday and may get the chance to pilot one of the othe bigger boats.

I love the look of my 20 too. I was also thinking the same thing, slap in an all aluminum BBC and haul ass! If I can't cut through the waves with a bigger boat I'll just fly over them! :D

Simi is a great palce to live. Is your bud a boat guy?

Nah, he works for the corporate office at Farmer's insurance. Pretty high up, I guess. He should be though, he's a great guy. He just got a new '03 Heritage Harley though. I think he still has a silver Trans Am also, not sure on that one.

Jana 07-22-2003 04:03 PM

I'd say go for the 29 if you can. I jumped from a 16 Donzi into a 29 Fountain and am SO glad I did. A few years ago, my thought had been to go from the 16 to a 22 Donzi and get a Fountain later on. However, the 22 still would've been a bit small for Galveston Bay and the Fountain is usually just right. Like Clay said, get something you won't feel the need to trade up from too quickly.

KBUSH1 07-22-2003 04:03 PM

definitely go bigger. as summer obsession said, dual engine operation is a lot easier with practice, but you will pay double for everything. my first boat was a 1997 272 which i owned for 4 years. it was a great boat and it ran flawless, but my wife and my boating got to large for this boat. i needed speed, she needed ammenities. so we just got a 2000 342 with only 40 hours on it. we both love the new size and wondered why we waited so long. good luck on your decision...

BadDog 07-22-2003 04:05 PM

29 Outlaw does not have much cockpit space. Look at a 33 OL and perhaps wait a year or two. The "walk around room" in the 33 is very nice.

PhantomChaos 07-22-2003 04:09 PM

Go BIG

BajaFresh 07-22-2003 04:14 PM

Just trying to keep up with you, Nort! :D :D :D